Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Mike Napoli/Red Sox
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2013 - 11:59AM #1
diehardma
Posts: 5,196
I haven't seen this really discussed on here, but I think it's interesting how the Red Sox still haven't been able to finalize their deal with Napoli almost a month and a half after agreeing with him. The issue apparently was they discovered a lot of damage in his hip and now are trying to get him to accept a lower deal. Ben Cherington said the other day, "Mike Napoli's still a free agent."

Now I'm not making this thread to say the Yanks should swoop in and sign Napoli, I hate Napoli. (Although that would be a move The Boss would've loved) I'm merely pointing out that there are many other organizations in much higher disarray than the Yankees are. Think about it, when the Yanks started getting serious with Youk they asked in advance before his physical to see medical reports so they wouldn't agree to terms then have a mess like this to deal with. I'm not saying Boston didn't do this, maybe their medical staff is terrible i don't know. Just whenever any of you think it's getting bad here with our Yanks and need a laugh, our divisional neighbors in Boston always seem there to help.
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2013 - 12:12PM #2
yank0428
Posts: 15,377

Jan 11, 2013 -- 11:59AM, diehardma wrote:

I haven't seen this really discussed on here, but I think it's interesting how the Red Sox still haven't been able to finalize their deal with Napoli almost a month and a half after agreeing with him. The issue apparently was they discovered a lot of damage in his hip and now are trying to get him to accept a lower deal. Ben Cherington said the other day, "Mike Napoli's still a free agent." Now I'm not making this thread to say the Yanks should swoop in and sign Napoli, I hate Napoli. (Although that would be a move The Boss would've loved) I'm merely pointing out that there are many other organizations in much higher disarray than the Yankees are. Think about it, when the Yanks started getting serious with Youk they asked in advance before his physical to see medical reports so they wouldn't agree to terms then have a mess like this to deal with. I'm not saying Boston didn't do this, maybe their medical staff is terrible i don't know. Just whenever any of you think it's getting bad here with our Yanks and need a laugh, our divisional neighbors in Boston always seem there to help.




I think Napoli would make a good DH but I'm curious to why you hate Napoli. As a player? He hit pretty good in the postseason. I know he's not a great glove.

6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2013 - 12:48PM #3
LiferYank
Posts: 6,694

The Red Sox are actually playing this smart and waiting it out. Napoli this late in FA doesnt have many options left. The Red Sox are trying to cover their butts with a contract laden with injury clauses and with all the talk about his possible hip damage its scaring off other teams.

6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2013 - 1:14PM #4
BigGuy
Posts: 65,695

Jan 11, 2013 -- 12:48PM, LiferYank wrote:


The Red Sox are actually playing this smart and waiting it out. Napoli this late in FA doesnt have many options left. The Red Sox are trying to cover their butts with a contract laden with injury clauses and with all the talk about his possible hip damage its scaring off other teams.




Exactly.  They know he has a bad hip and they're looking for a better deal.  In the meantime Napoli doesn't have much of a market and they could get him cheaper and for a shorter deal.  They want some medical backup if they sign him like they did with Drew.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2013 - 1:50PM #5
Yankees
Posts: 6,676

Yeah but aren't deals always pending on a physical?  It's sort of like a trade, teams agree on a deal but before it's official they have the guy take a physical to make sure nothing is wrong.  Doesn't the same apply to FA signings?


Tonberry Pictures, Images and Photos
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2013 - 2:52PM #6
BigGuy
Posts: 65,695

Jan 11, 2013 -- 1:50PM, Yankees wrote:


Yeah but aren't deals always pending on a physical?  It's sort of like a trade, teams agree on a deal but before it's official they have the guy take a physical to make sure nothing is wrong.  Doesn't the same apply to FA signings?





That's why this deal has been held up.  They gave him a physical already and did not like what they saw of his hip. 

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2013 - 3:22PM #7
JoeGNJ
Posts: 15,926

Jan 11, 2013 -- 12:12PM, yank0428 wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 11:59AM, diehardma wrote:

I haven't seen this really discussed on here, but I think it's interesting how the Red Sox still haven't been able to finalize their deal with Napoli almost a month and a half after agreeing with him. The issue apparently was they discovered a lot of damage in his hip and now are trying to get him to accept a lower deal. Ben Cherington said the other day, "Mike Napoli's still a free agent." Now I'm not making this thread to say the Yanks should swoop in and sign Napoli, I hate Napoli. (Although that would be a move The Boss would've loved) I'm merely pointing out that there are many other organizations in much higher disarray than the Yankees are. Think about it, when the Yanks started getting serious with Youk they asked in advance before his physical to see medical reports so they wouldn't agree to terms then have a mess like this to deal with. I'm not saying Boston didn't do this, maybe their medical staff is terrible i don't know. Just whenever any of you think it's getting bad here with our Yanks and need a laugh, our divisional neighbors in Boston always seem there to help.




I think Napoli would make a good DH but I'm curious to why you hate Napoli. As a player? He hit pretty good in the postseason. I know he's not a great glove.




+1...I always liked his bat, and feared it when he was up against the Yanks.

JoeGNJ - 2Timothy 4:7 - Acts 20:24
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2013 - 3:25PM #8
JoeGNJ
Posts: 15,926

Jan 11, 2013 -- 1:14PM, BigGuy wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 12:48PM, LiferYank wrote:


The Red Sox are actually playing this smart and waiting it out. Napoli this late in FA doesnt have many options left. The Red Sox are trying to cover their butts with a contract laden with injury clauses and with all the talk about his possible hip damage its scaring off other teams.




Exactly.  They know he has a bad hip and they're looking for a better deal.  In the meantime Napoli doesn't have much of a market and they could get him cheaper and for a shorter deal.  They want some medical backup if they sign him like they did with Drew.




I never quite understood Boston and Napoli anyway. They have Salti, who IMO is where they shoudl be focused. PT DH?  Still, puzzles me!

JoeGNJ - 2Timothy 4:7 - Acts 20:24
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2013 - 4:56PM #9
BigGuy
Posts: 65,695

Jan 11, 2013 -- 3:25PM, JoeGNJ wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 1:14PM, BigGuy wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 12:48PM, LiferYank wrote:


The Red Sox are actually playing this smart and waiting it out. Napoli this late in FA doesnt have many options left. The Red Sox are trying to cover their butts with a contract laden with injury clauses and with all the talk about his possible hip damage its scaring off other teams.




Exactly.  They know he has a bad hip and they're looking for a better deal.  In the meantime Napoli doesn't have much of a market and they could get him cheaper and for a shorter deal.  They want some medical backup if they sign him like they did with Drew.




I never quite understood Boston and Napoli anyway. They have Salti, who IMO is where they shoudl be focused. PT DH?  Still, puzzles me!




1st base, part-time catcher/DH.   The guy has monster numbers at Fenway.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2013 - 6:05PM #10
BigGuy
Posts: 65,695

Latest On Red Sox, Mike Napoli



The three-year, $39MM agreement between Mike Napoli and the Red Sox has yet to be announced, and before the Red Sox sign off on a contract, they want to restructure the deal to include protective language, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. The Red Sox still seem hopeful that they’ll be able to reach an agreement with the catcher/first baseman, according to reports earlier in the week.


The Red Sox want to add protective language to the deal because they found an issue with one of Napoli’s hips, Rosenthal reports. The Red Sox have included protective language in past deals for players such as J.D. Drew. Before Drew signed his deal, Detroit signed Ivan Rodriguez to a free agent contract that allowed the Tigers to buy the catcher out if he spent a certain amount of time on the disabled list for designated reasons. 


Another team has expressed interest in Napoli. However, Rosenthal says no team has made a serious effort to sign him.


"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum