Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Padres fire Josh Byrnes
6 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2014 - 8:33PM #1
NYYGuy
Posts: 5,216

If Cashman walks away at the end of the season...  hmmm.    Theo Epstein protege and I think he's also friends with Cashman. Wonder how he'd do in charge of a bigger market team.

I can think of worse ideas than bringing him here.
 

6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2014 - 7:11AM #2
NW
Posts: 13,163

Have you looked at his trade history?  Just about every player he traded ended up better than what he traded for.

6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2014 - 7:18AM #3
yankeeoldfan
Posts: 12,741

I don't think this is all Ca$hmans fault, some has to do with ownership and how they've tied his hands.. First they want to go cheap, then they want to spend like a drunken sailor on old over the hill players, Ca$hman has his hands tied in ways we don't know about... I'm not making excusses but he doesn't sign the checks, he doesn't own the team he just works for a family that has all of a sudden taken this on like a business instead of a game..

6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2014 - 7:57AM #4
ru4_nyy
Posts: 3,316

Jun 23, 2014 -- 7:18AM, yankeeoldfan wrote:


I don't think this is all Ca$hmans fault, some has to do with ownership and how they've tied his hands.. First they want to go cheap, then they want to spend like a drunken sailor on old over the hill players, Ca$hman has his hands tied in ways we don't know about... I'm not making excusses but he doesn't sign the checks, he doesn't own the team he just works for a family that has all of a sudden taken this on like a business instead of a game..





^^^^ Yup

6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2014 - 8:43AM #5
NYYGuy
Posts: 5,216

Jun 23, 2014 -- 7:11AM, NW wrote:


Have you looked at his trade history?  Just about every player he traded ended up better than what he traded for.





Yep and I'm sure that's one big reason why he was let go, but maybe a change would do him good. The fact he's a Theo Epstein disciple tells me he's the kind of outside-the-box creative thinker that this team could use... and hasn't always had under Cashman. ANyway it was just a thought, assuming Cashman walks.

6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2014 - 9:42AM #6
hampfan
Posts: 3,612

Jun 23, 2014 -- 8:43AM, NYYGuy wrote:


Jun 23, 2014 -- 7:11AM, NW wrote:


Have you looked at his trade history?  Just about every player he traded ended up better than what he traded for.





Yep and I'm sure that's one big reason why he was let go, but maybe a change would do him good. The fact he's a Theo Epstein disciple tells me he's the kind of outside-the-box creative thinker that this team could use... and hasn't always had under Cashman. ANyway it was just a thought, assuming Cashman walks.




No doubt Cashman isn't the only cause of the team's mediocrity. Selig's parity compulsion, George's Jerry Jones mentality when he was parallel to Cashman in time, the poor scouting etc--these and more account for the present moribund team. Yet Cashman's primarily responsible for the dismal farm system and its so-called overseers; he has never made trades for prospective minor league prospects when he had someone coming up to his walk year (e.g., Hughes last year)--he wasn't, in short, creative. And I doubt that he couldn't have convinced Hal et al. to go after the likes of a Chapman or Cespedes when the going was "free" from luxury-tax bugaboos. So I agree with the poster's thought about getting a GM who thinks and acts outside the box, as it were. And I hope, more than anything, that Cashman indeed walks; although he's got supporters like the aging Michael to prevent that from happening--unfortunately.

6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2014 - 11:09AM #7
yank0428
Posts: 18,446

Jun 23, 2014 -- 9:42AM, hampfan wrote:


Jun 23, 2014 -- 8:43AM, NYYGuy wrote:


Jun 23, 2014 -- 7:11AM, NW wrote:


Have you looked at his trade history?  Just about every player he traded ended up better than what he traded for.





Yep and I'm sure that's one big reason why he was let go, but maybe a change would do him good. The fact he's a Theo Epstein disciple tells me he's the kind of outside-the-box creative thinker that this team could use... and hasn't always had under Cashman. ANyway it was just a thought, assuming Cashman walks.




No doubt Cashman isn't the only cause of the team's mediocrity. Selig's parity compulsion, George's Jerry Jones mentality when he was parallel to Cashman in time, the poor scouting etc--these and more account for the present moribund team. Yet Cashman's primarily responsible for the dismal farm system and its so-called overseers; he has never made trades for prospective minor league prospects when he had someone coming up to his walk year (e.g., Hughes last year)--he wasn't, in short, creative. And I doubt that he couldn't have convinced Hal et al. to go after the likes of a Chapman or Cespedes when the going was "free" from luxury-tax bugaboos. So I agree with the poster's thought about getting a GM who thinks and acts outside the box, as it were. And I hope, more than anything, that Cashman indeed walks; although he's got supporters like the aging Michael to prevent that from happening--unfortunately.




I agree he is not alone. IMO his biggest sins besides the failure of the farm system is the failure to convince Hal to sign at least a couple of the Chapman , Puig, Cespedes and Darvish international free agents. Great talents all signed to reasonable contracts . He convinces Hal finally to partake and they have  pay alot more for Tanaka who is so good he is still worth it. A little late to the party.


 Also as BigGuy has pointed out they cut on international scouting and spending which could have improved the farm system despite the bad drafting. 


 Time to get a new group in here which I'm sure Hal wont do because he is a major part of the problem.  I think if the Yanks are close at the end of the year or get a wildcard and lose in the first round Cashman is back if he wants to be.

6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2014 - 11:11AM #8
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 80,882

Jun 23, 2014 -- 7:18AM, yankeeoldfan wrote:


I don't think this is all Ca$hmans fault, some has to do with ownership and how they've tied his hands.. First they want to go cheap, then they want to spend like a drunken sailor on old over the hill players, Ca$hman has his hands tied in ways we don't know about... I'm not making excusses but he doesn't sign the checks, he doesn't own the team he just works for a family that has all of a sudden taken this on like a business instead of a game..





Are you trying to say that Cashman as the General Manager has no say in what is going on with trades and signings?

6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2014 - 11:23AM #9
luvdayanks
Posts: 28,223

Jun 23, 2014 -- 11:11AM, GottaGoToMo wrote:


Jun 23, 2014 -- 7:18AM, yankeeoldfan wrote:


I don't think this is all Ca$hmans fault, some has to do with ownership and how they've tied his hands.. First they want to go cheap, then they want to spend like a drunken sailor on old over the hill players, Ca$hman has his hands tied in ways we don't know about... I'm not making excusses but he doesn't sign the checks, he doesn't own the team he just works for a family that has all of a sudden taken this on like a business instead of a game..





Are you trying to say that Cashman as the General Manager has no say in what is going on with trades and signings?





I think that is what he's saying and I think he's correct. Maybe not "no say", but according to everything I've read and heard Hank, Hal and Levine make the final decisions and Cash has little say. Cashman can make suggestions but it's up to the three stooges to give a thumbs up or down. Don't be surprised if Cash doesn't walk on his own at the end of the year, I think he's had it with his hands being tied and getting the blame on bad FO decisions.

6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2014 - 11:37AM #10
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 80,882

Jun 23, 2014 -- 11:23AM, luvdayanks wrote:


Jun 23, 2014 -- 11:11AM, GottaGoToMo wrote:


Jun 23, 2014 -- 7:18AM, yankeeoldfan wrote:


I don't think this is all Ca$hmans fault, some has to do with ownership and how they've tied his hands.. First they want to go cheap, then they want to spend like a drunken sailor on old over the hill players, Ca$hman has his hands tied in ways we don't know about... I'm not making excusses but he doesn't sign the checks, he doesn't own the team he just works for a family that has all of a sudden taken this on like a business instead of a game..





Are you trying to say that Cashman as the General Manager has no say in what is going on with trades and signings?





I think that is what he's saying and I think he's correct. Maybe not "no say", but according to everything I've read and heard Hank, Hal and Levine make the final decisions and Cash has little say. Cashman can make suggestions but it's up to the three stooges to give a thumbs up or down. Don't be surprised if Cash doesn't walk on his own at the end of the year, I think he's had it with his hands being tied and getting the blame on bad FO decisions.





If Cashman doesn't walk on his own, then they should just let him go ... if they aren't going to listen to his opinions, no sense in having him around ... hire someone they will listen to!

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum