Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Goalies
5 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2014 - 3:11PM #1
prof. quiz
Posts: 7,257
I'm finally over the pain of the Rangers blowing it to the Kings for the Cup. Lundqvist tried but didn't get it done when it counted. There is no doubt in my mind that if Henrik got hot like he does all season the outcome would have been different.

Brodeur is a man without a home. The Devils or more likely Lamoriello turned there back on one of the greatest goalies ever. I've read that Montreal might be interested but that fizzled out. Maybe it's time Marty does what others do when father time comes a knockin'. Go out on top. Don't linger too long like Mays did when he became a Met or like Namath when he went to the Rams.

The Islanders signed the 29 year old Halak which is a good thing. He's the best goalie to don an Islander sweater in a long time.

The Yanks have been thoroughly disappointing (except for the pitching/Rothschild) so hopefully the Rangers can bring my sports smile back.


5 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2014 - 3:41PM #2
Max
Posts: 42,830

Sep 11, 2014 -- 3:11PM, prof. quiz wrote:

I'm finally over the pain of the Rangers blowing it to the Kings for the Cup. Lundqvist tried but didn't get it done when it counted. There is no doubt in my mind that if Henrik got hot like he does all season the outcome would have been different.

Brodeur is a man without a home. The Devils or more likely Lamoriello turned there back on one of the greatest goalies ever. I've read that Montreal might be interested but that fizzled out. Maybe it's time Marty does what others do when father time comes a knockin'. Go out on top. Don't linger too long like Mays did when he became a Met or like Namath when he went to the Rams.

The Islanders signed the 29 year old Halak which is a good thing. He's the best goalie to don an Islander sweater in a long time.

The Yanks have been thoroughly disappointing (except for the pitching/Rothschild) so hopefully the Rangers can bring my sports smile back.




You got that right and the team was sold too. As a long time Islander fan I can say that the team has far too many losing seasons. As you know, that isn't going to cut it in Brooklyn. At least they are starting to keep their young talent. Brodeur might be the best goalie ever. I hope that he gets a few more starts this season. Henrik did his job. Yes, a hot goalie in the playoffs is hard to beat. Once the Kings started to use their size the they became a tough match up for the NYR. I enjoyed the Finals but I would have enjoyed it more if NY had won.

.
5 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2014 - 11:11AM #3
prof. quiz
Posts: 7,257

Broduer is still a man without a home. Unfreaking real that one of the greatest goalies ever has no job.


True, he's 42 and past his prime but what a slap shot to the face. He should have sensed this and retired when Lamoriello went with Schnieder. Now he has no job, no retiement party and no accolades.


Picture a player of the the caliber of Ruth, Mantle, Rivera or Gherig walking off into the sunset with no fanfare. That's Broduer.

5 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2014 - 5:39PM #4
TonyG4
Posts: 3,026

Oct 8, 2014 -- 11:11AM, prof. quiz wrote:


Broduer is still a man without a home. Unfreaking real that one of the greatest goalies ever has no job.


True, he's 42 and past his prime but what a slap shot to the face. He should have sensed this and retired when Lamoriello went with Schnieder. Now he has no job, no retiement party and no accolades.


Picture a player of the the caliber of Ruth, Mantle, Rivera or Gherig walking off into the sunset with no fanfare. That's Broduer.





OMG, are you serious, you really want to put Marty Broduer in the same breath as Ruth, Mantle and Gehrig? What are you smoking?


I would have to assume that you and others have not been around that long to consider Marty Broduer the best goalie ever.


I guess you never heard of Johnny Bower of the Maple Leafs, or Bernie Parent of the Flyers, or Jacques Plante, and Patrick Roy of the Canadians, just to name a few.


Marty was a great goalie, and IMO he is also one of the most over rated goalies. He has a great resume because of the Trap and the defensive boooooring game the Devils created. When a teams lost games to the Devils 3 to 2, and Marty had 15 saves and the goalie on the other team made 50 saves, who's the better goalie?


In the playoffs against the Rangers goalies like Richter and even Lunqvist, especially Richter, Marty gets outplayed. And that's when it really counts. If it wasn't for the defensive system and defenseman on the Devils in Marty's hay day, he wouldn't have been anything but an above average goalie.


www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQnxlHZsjY



Willie, Mickey and the Duke, Now That Was Baseball in NY.

THE ORIGINAL SIX IN THE NHL, OLD TIME HOCKEY,

THE WAY THE GAME WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED:

LETS GO RANGERS. LETS GO YANKEES
5 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2014 - 8:30PM #5
prof. quiz
Posts: 7,257

Oct 17, 2014 -- 5:39PM, TonyG4 wrote:


OMG, are you serious, you really want to put Marty Broduer in the same breath as Ruth, Mantle and Gehrig? What are you smoking?





I can't believe I'm defending Brodeur...I'm a Ranger fan!

I never said he was the best goalie but one of the best. Definitely in the top 10 and probably top 5. He has the most shutouts in the regular season and the playoffs. Also the most wins and losses. A 21 year career in pro sports is pretty rare. His name is carved 3 times on the Cup and he won 4 Vezina's. He's probably the best puck handling goalie ever. The NHL changed the rules because of him.

Yeah, the trap was boring and you're right about the Horned Ones beating you 3-2 or 1-0, hardly ever 6-2. If they had a sniper or two over Marty's career he'd garner a lot more respect in the hockey world.

I'd also add Hasek and Dryden to your list of great goalies.

Anyway, good to have a hockey fan here. There aren't too many.






5 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2014 - 2:00PM #6
TonyG4
Posts: 3,026

Oct 17, 2014 -- 8:30PM, prof. quiz wrote:


Oct 17, 2014 -- 5:39PM, TonyG4 wrote:


OMG, are you serious, you really want to put Marty Broduer in the same breath as Ruth, Mantle and Gehrig? What are you smoking?





I can't believe I'm defending Brodeur...I'm a Ranger fan!

I never said he was the best goalie but one of the best. Definitely in the top 10 and probably top 5. He has the most shutouts in the regular season and the playoffs. Also the most wins and losses. A 21 year career in pro sports is pretty rare. His name is carved 3 times on the Cup and he won 4 Vezina's. He's probably the best puck handling goalie ever. The NHL changed the rules because of him.

Yeah, the trap was boring and you're right about the Horned Ones beating you 3-2 or 1-0, hardly ever 6-2. If they had a sniper or two over Marty's career he'd garner a lot more respect in the hockey world.

I'd also add Hasek and Dryden to your list of great goalies.

Anyway, good to have a hockey fan here. There aren't too many.








As long as you are a Ranger Fan, you will always have my respect. You make good points, and on some we will have to agree to disagree. I will admit, when it comes to the Devils, aka SwampRats, and the Islanders, aka Fishsticks. They are on the top of my hate list.


But as you said, it's good to talk hockey.


But let me end this by saying that when it comes to hockey, all those goalies you and I mentioned do not belong in the same category as Ruth, Gehrig, and Mantle.

 

If you want to compare hockey players to Ruth, Gehrig, and Mantle.

 

Guys like Maurice the Rocket Richard, Gretzky, Messier or the Great Gordi Howe are comparable in their sport to Ruth, Gehrig, and Mantle, Marty doesn't even come close. He couldn't hold their Jock Straps.



Willie, Mickey and the Duke, Now That Was Baseball in NY.

THE ORIGINAL SIX IN THE NHL, OLD TIME HOCKEY,

THE WAY THE GAME WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED:

LETS GO RANGERS. LETS GO YANKEES
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum