Network Forums Yankees It is a waste of the Yankees' time to keep...
Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
It is a waste of the Yankees' time to keep playing Ellsbury
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2017 - 4:49PM #41
Joeybagadonutz
Posts: 10,102
I felt like the Yankees signed Ellsbury as a knee jerk reaction to losing Cano. I hated the deal at the time but didn't want Cano at that money for that long either since we've seen how that plays out more than enough. Despite that fact we're still seeing it now with A-Rod, Ellsbury and until this season Sabbathia, who I'm glad has realized how to change speeds by slowing down his breaking stuff significantly. The 10mph differential makes a big difference. Unfortunately I don't think that Ellsbury has any upside at all by hanging around.
 photo Signature small_zpsipxz034e.jpg
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2017 - 5:34PM #42
hampfan
Posts: 3,537

Jul 22, 2017 -- 4:49PM, Joeybagadonutz wrote:

I felt like the Yankees signed Ellsbury as a knee jerk reaction to losing Cano. I hated the deal at the time but didn't want Cano at that money for that long either since we've seen how that plays out more than enough. Despite that fact we're still seeing it now with A-Rod, Ellsbury and until this season Sabbathia, who I'm glad has realized how to change speeds by slowing down his breaking stuff significantly. The 10mph differential makes a big difference. Unfortunately I don't think that Ellsbury has any upside at all by hanging around.



His upside for him, Joey, is to keep going and make the 20+ mill he's getting. He'll hang around all right. Wouldn't you for that money? Besides, he just might perk up--he probably wakes up everyday and thinks exactly that--or has to. I think he wants to contribute and be a positive force, but body, baby, just doesn't respond the way he would like. He's not a bad guy, after all. In this era, the money that a player makes provokes us to judge him thumbs up or thumbs down. Either/or. Think of how the Bronx fans would treat Cano making even more than Ellsbury while hitting in the .270s, besides nonchalanting it to 1B on a groundout (which, at least, Ellsbury doesn't ever do).

3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2017 - 5:42PM #43
louisiana_lightning
Posts: 18,674

Jul 22, 2017 -- 5:34PM, hampfan wrote:


Jul 22, 2017 -- 4:49PM, Joeybagadonutz wrote:

I felt like the Yankees signed Ellsbury as a knee jerk reaction to losing Cano. I hated the deal at the time but didn't want Cano at that money for that long either since we've seen how that plays out more than enough. Despite that fact we're still seeing it now with A-Rod, Ellsbury and until this season Sabbathia, who I'm glad has realized how to change speeds by slowing down his breaking stuff significantly. The 10mph differential makes a big difference. Unfortunately I don't think that Ellsbury has any upside at all by hanging around.



His upside for him, Joey, is to keep going and make the 20+ mill he's getting. He'll hang around all right. Wouldn't you for that money? Besides, he just might perk up--he probably wakes up everyday and thinks exactly that--or has to. I think he wants to contribute and be a positive force, but body, baby, just doesn't respond the way he would like. He's not a bad guy, after all. In this era, the money that a player makes provokes us to judge him thumbs up or thumbs down. Either/or. Think of how the Bronx fans would treat Cano making even more than Ellsbury while hitting in the .270s, besides nonchalanting it to 1B on a groundout (which, at least, Ellsbury doesn't ever do).




The money is part of the package.  So is our farm system.  He could be a great guy and it's irrelevant, the only thing that matters is he blocking a better option.  There are some teams that he would be an upgrade for and a big name if we were willing to eat most of the money.

3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2017 - 6:20PM #44
hampfan
Posts: 3,537

Jul 22, 2017 -- 5:42PM, louisiana_lightning wrote:


Jul 22, 2017 -- 5:34PM, hampfan wrote:


Jul 22, 2017 -- 4:49PM, Joeybagadonutz wrote:

I felt like the Yankees signed Ellsbury as a knee jerk reaction to losing Cano. I hated the deal at the time but didn't want Cano at that money for that long either since we've seen how that plays out more than enough. Despite that fact we're still seeing it now with A-Rod, Ellsbury and until this season Sabbathia, who I'm glad has realized how to change speeds by slowing down his breaking stuff significantly. The 10mph differential makes a big difference. Unfortunately I don't think that Ellsbury has any upside at all by hanging around.



His upside for him, Joey, is to keep going and make the 20+ mill he's getting. He'll hang around all right. Wouldn't you for that money? Besides, he just might perk up--he probably wakes up everyday and thinks exactly that--or has to. I think he wants to contribute and be a positive force, but body, baby, just doesn't respond the way he would like. He's not a bad guy, after all. In this era, the money that a player makes provokes us to judge him thumbs up or thumbs down. Either/or. Think of how the Bronx fans would treat Cano making even more than Ellsbury while hitting in the .270s, besides nonchalanting it to 1B on a groundout (which, at least, Ellsbury doesn't ever do).




The money is part of the package.  So is our farm system.  He could be a great guy and it's irrelevant, the only thing that matters is he blocking a better option.  There are some teams that he would be an upgrade for and a big name if we were willing to eat most of the money.




I've been also saying that about Gardner (though he's MUCH better so far in performance than JE--but he's still blocking) for the past two years: the lost chances to see a Gamel or (let's hope not) a Fowler next year--or Clint Frazier this one once Hicks comes back--permanently in LF.

3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2017 - 6:32PM #45
louisiana_lightning
Posts: 18,674

Jul 22, 2017 -- 6:20PM, hampfan wrote:


Jul 22, 2017 -- 5:42PM, louisiana_lightning wrote:


Jul 22, 2017 -- 5:34PM, hampfan wrote:


Jul 22, 2017 -- 4:49PM, Joeybagadonutz wrote:

I felt like the Yankees signed Ellsbury as a knee jerk reaction to losing Cano. I hated the deal at the time but didn't want Cano at that money for that long either since we've seen how that plays out more than enough. Despite that fact we're still seeing it now with A-Rod, Ellsbury and until this season Sabbathia, who I'm glad has realized how to change speeds by slowing down his breaking stuff significantly. The 10mph differential makes a big difference. Unfortunately I don't think that Ellsbury has any upside at all by hanging around.



His upside for him, Joey, is to keep going and make the 20+ mill he's getting. He'll hang around all right. Wouldn't you for that money? Besides, he just might perk up--he probably wakes up everyday and thinks exactly that--or has to. I think he wants to contribute and be a positive force, but body, baby, just doesn't respond the way he would like. He's not a bad guy, after all. In this era, the money that a player makes provokes us to judge him thumbs up or thumbs down. Either/or. Think of how the Bronx fans would treat Cano making even more than Ellsbury while hitting in the .270s, besides nonchalanting it to 1B on a groundout (which, at least, Ellsbury doesn't ever do).




The money is part of the package.  So is our farm system.  He could be a great guy and it's irrelevant, the only thing that matters is he blocking a better option.  There are some teams that he would be an upgrade for and a big name if we were willing to eat most of the money.




I've been also saying that about Gardner (though he's MUCH better so far in performance than JE--but he's still blocking) for the past two years: the lost chances to see a Gamel or (let's hope not) a Fowler next year--or Clint Frazier this one once Hicks comes back--permanently in LF.




Totally agree, the only reason why I am harsher on Ellsbury is that brutal contract.  It's too late for Gamel.  Let's not do that with far superior prospects.

3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2017 - 6:46PM #46
laurenfrances
Posts: 37,511

Every team wish they have Yankees problems with a plethora of players in the OF.  Frazier gets a taste of major league baseball, regardless what happen he will eventually be a regular. Have some patience.  


No one wants to be pushed out to pasture in regards to sports or any kind of employment.  It's not necessary to push him over the cliff. Sad but true, you cannot fool mother nature. Ellsbury's time will eventually come to an end. When that time comes, lets do it with a bit of decorum.

3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2017 - 7:54PM #47
hampfan
Posts: 3,537

Jul 22, 2017 -- 6:46PM, laurenfrances wrote:


Every team wish they have Yankees problems with a plethora of players in the OF.  Frazier gets a taste of major league baseball, regardless what happen he will eventually be a regular. Have some patience.  


No one wants to be pushed out to pasture in regards to sports or any kind of employment.  It's not necessary to push him over the cliff. Sad but true, you cannot fool mother nature. Ellsbury's time will eventually come to an end. When that time comes, lets do it with a bit of decorum.




You make good sense, Lauren. I sometimes think most mistakes in life (not just in baseball) are made by our impatience.

3 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2017 - 6:59AM #48
LiferYank
Posts: 6,728

Jul 22, 2017 -- 3:19PM, Yankees wrote:


Ellsbury is better than Cano experts on here used to say.  Wish they had spent that fortune on Cano instead of Ellsbury, at least it would of been on a home grown Yank anda Red Sox killer.




Cano's contract ends in 2023..



The proper move would have been to trade Cano before they lost him for nothing.


The next proper move would have been to let him walk considering his demands ( this they did)


The wrong thing was to let Levine have anything to do with this team that is how we ended up with ellsbury.



What makes it worse is that Ellsbury has a full no-trade protection clause... Meaning if he wants to be a dick we cant move him.

3 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2017 - 7:13AM #49
LiferYank
Posts: 6,728

Problem with moving Ellsbury is many fold. One you need a team that can take the payroll to begin with. Two they have to have a need. Three that have to see the benefit.



So *maybe* the Tigers would trade Zimmerman for Ellsbury if we threw in a few mid level prospects?


3 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2017 - 8:02AM #50
Joeybagadonutz
Posts: 10,102
Nobody is taking Rllsbury unless we eat $15-17Mil+ per year. Even then there is little upside/motivation to take him at $4-6 mil per for 3 more years. Who would want to do that? Have a good look at how bad this contract is. It's as bad as it gets. Instead of putting lipstick on the pig they may as well F the pig and get it over with. Cut bait and give the playing time to more deserving players.
 photo Signature small_zpsipxz034e.jpg
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Jump Menu:
 
Network Forums Yankees It is a waste of the Yankees' time to keep...
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum