Network Forums Yankees Olney says Yanks seem to be the favorite to...
Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Olney says Yanks seem to be the favorite to land Otani
1 week ago  ::  Nov 16, 2017 - 12:31AM #41
yank0428
Posts: 13,302

Nov 15, 2017 -- 8:24PM, Joeybagadonutz wrote:


Nov 15, 2017 -- 8:14PM, yank0428 wrote:


Nov 15, 2017 -- 4:43PM, yankoldfan wrote:


Letting him bat when he pitches means he's only batting every fifth day, anyone familiar with the game knows, it's hard to stay hitting sharp batting every fifth day... I just don't see him hitting unless he does it more often than that... 




I think the plan would and should be to DH when he's not pitching against some righties. If he shows he a real good hitter more at bats against all pitching but still not when pitching. 





I know we all have bad memories of Wang, but if this kid really can hit I would have no problem with him DH-ing 4 days a week, pitching or not. It's like an NL pitcher hitting and not needing a DH. But in the NL there is no more than an AB or two for the guy unless they want to play him in the OF. Either way he'd need to be a pretty accomplished hitter to unseat an AL DH or an everyday OF. AL with no DH under contract is more likely. You can always trade for a DH at the break or play one of the extra vets off the bench until then if it went off the rails. 




I don't even think about Wang because he wasn't used to hitting and running the bases, this kid is. I don't think he plays the field .

1 week ago  ::  Nov 16, 2017 - 7:21AM #42
yankoldfan
Posts: 1,794

Hey, I got an idea, "Let's get him first", then we'll see if he bats, pitches or DH's..  Or all of the above... Wink

1 week ago  ::  Nov 16, 2017 - 10:34AM #43
Lulu
Posts: 2,379
And the Mets actually think they stand a chance ? LOL
1 week ago  ::  Nov 16, 2017 - 5:03PM #44
kyloren
Posts: 2,508

MLBPA sets Monday deadline to settle Shohei Ohtani posting dispute http://rab.me/2iog8eL 





View image on Twitter



1 week ago  ::  Nov 17, 2017 - 11:32AM #45
qwik3457
Posts: 10,679

Keep in mind the MLBPA hasn't yet signed off on the new posting system Ohtani would have to come to the big leagues under, and they have a significant incentive not to allow it.


If they allow Ohtani and others to come over before the age needed to go through regular posting, they would be allowing a pipeline of cheaper talent to flow to MLB, and would artificially depress player salaries, especially for regular free agents.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
1 week ago  ::  Nov 17, 2017 - 11:53AM #46
louisiana_lightning
Posts: 9,073

Nov 17, 2017 -- 11:32AM, qwik3457 wrote:


Keep in mind the MLBPA hasn't yet signed off on the new posting system Ohtani would have to come to the big leagues under, and they have a significant incentive not to allow it.


If they allow Ohtani and others to come over before the age needed to go through regular posting, they would be allowing a pipeline of cheaper talent to flow to MLB, and would artificially depress player salaries, especially for regular free agents.




They would take a big PR hit if they block a player that by most accounts is MLB ready over leverage.

1 week ago  ::  Nov 17, 2017 - 1:08PM #47
Bats
Posts: 7,280

Nov 15, 2017 -- 8:24PM, Joeybagadonutz wrote:


Nov 15, 2017 -- 8:14PM, yank0428 wrote:


Nov 15, 2017 -- 4:43PM, yankoldfan wrote:


Letting him bat when he pitches means he's only batting every fifth day, anyone familiar with the game knows, it's hard to stay hitting sharp batting every fifth day... I just don't see him hitting unless he does it more often than that... 




I think the plan would and should be to DH when he's not pitching against some righties. If he shows he a real good hitter more at bats against all pitching but still not when pitching. 





I know we all have bad memories of Wang, but if this kid really can hit I would have no problem with him DH-ing 4 days a week, pitching or not. It's like an NL pitcher hitting and not needing a DH. But in the NL there is no more than an AB or two for the guy unless they want to play him in the OF. Either way he'd need to be a pretty accomplished hitter to unseat an AL DH or an everyday OF. AL with no DH under contract is more likely. You can always trade for a DH at the break or play one of the extra vets off the bench until then if it went off the rails. 




Bad memories of Wang, Jonuts? The two time 19 game winner?


Huh?

1 week ago  ::  Nov 17, 2017 - 1:15PM #48
Joeybagadonutz
Posts: 8,178
Yeah Batshyte, bad memories of Wang breaking his foot running the bases numbnuts.
 photo Signature small_zpsipxz034e.jpg
1 week ago  ::  Nov 17, 2017 - 1:18PM #49
louisiana_lightning
Posts: 9,073

Nov 17, 2017 -- 1:08PM, Bats wrote:


Nov 15, 2017 -- 8:24PM, Joeybagadonutz wrote:


Nov 15, 2017 -- 8:14PM, yank0428 wrote:


Nov 15, 2017 -- 4:43PM, yankoldfan wrote:


Letting him bat when he pitches means he's only batting every fifth day, anyone familiar with the game knows, it's hard to stay hitting sharp batting every fifth day... I just don't see him hitting unless he does it more often than that... 




I think the plan would and should be to DH when he's not pitching against some righties. If he shows he a real good hitter more at bats against all pitching but still not when pitching. 





I know we all have bad memories of Wang, but if this kid really can hit I would have no problem with him DH-ing 4 days a week, pitching or not. It's like an NL pitcher hitting and not needing a DH. But in the NL there is no more than an AB or two for the guy unless they want to play him in the OF. Either way he'd need to be a pretty accomplished hitter to unseat an AL DH or an everyday OF. AL with no DH under contract is more likely. You can always trade for a DH at the break or play one of the extra vets off the bench until then if it went off the rails. 




Bad memories of Wang, Jonuts? The two time 19 game winner?


Huh?




That was young, team controlled, and we lost him in what should have been his prime.  You know what he meant.  Wang was so efficient and fun to watch, really deserved a better fate. 


Maybe Otani could work out as a DH and a starter in a 6 man rotation.  The problem with that is unless if they go much deeper into games and start finishing games as a result of the extra rest we are getting 10-20% less pitching from guys like Severino, Tanaka, and Grey.  In 2018 I can't imagine a team giving 30 starts and 100 games even a platoon DH to the same player.

7 days ago  ::  Nov 17, 2017 - 7:17PM #50
hampfan
Posts: 2,879

Nov 17, 2017 -- 1:18PM, louisiana_lightning wrote:


Nov 17, 2017 -- 1:08PM, Bats wrote:


Nov 15, 2017 -- 8:24PM, Joeybagadonutz wrote:


Nov 15, 2017 -- 8:14PM, yank0428 wrote:


Nov 15, 2017 -- 4:43PM, yankoldfan wrote:


Letting him bat when he pitches means he's only batting every fifth day, anyone familiar with the game knows, it's hard to stay hitting sharp batting every fifth day... I just don't see him hitting unless he does it more often than that... 




I think the plan would and should be to DH when he's not pitching against some righties. If he shows he a real good hitter more at bats against all pitching but still not when pitching.


Maybe Otani could work out as a DH and a starter in a 6 man rotation.  The problem with that is unless if they go much deeper into games and start finishing games as a result of the extra rest we are getting 10-20% less pitching from guys like Severino, Tanaka, and Grey.  In 2018 I can't imagine a team giving 30 starts and 100 games even a platoon DH to the same player.




I think Ohtani (if we get him) and Tanaka would both benefit from a six-man rotation. So, probably, would CC at his age, and if we re-sign him. As for Severino, Gray and Montgomery, I'm far less certain. I imagine Cashman and the new manager will stick with the five-man, and try creatively to space out starts whenever possible (e.g., off days) for Ohtani and Tanaka. Almost a math problem there.

Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Jump Menu:
 
Network Forums Yankees Olney says Yanks seem to be the favorite to...
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum