Network Forums Yankees I'll beat a dead horse one more time.
Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
I'll beat a dead horse one more time.
10 months ago  ::  Mar 07, 2018 - 9:35PM #1
louisiana_lightning
Posts: 13,089

I thought that Alex Avila would have been an excellent addition to the Yankees as a back-up.  He expressed his willingness and signed for a very team friendly contract with the Diamondbacks.  A back-up like that would have provided a professional lefty hitter for the days Sanchez wasn't behind the plate making it more practical playing Sanchez's potent bat every day.  Gary could catch 60% of the games and DH 40% of the games with less wear and tear on his body.  Our back-up is the traditional back-up that provides very little offense when in the game.  For the Yankees to be at full strength they need Sanchez behind the plate more than 70% of the time with his off days being full days off.

The Yankees have more corner outfielders than they know what to do with and very soon will just start losing them for nothing.  I am confident that Stanton or Judge could play LF and we have Aaron Hicks, Brett Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury, Tyler Austin, Billy McKinney, Clint Frazier, Adam Lind, and Jake Cave.

We lost Ben Gamel for low level prospects and got pretty much nothing back for Jabari Blash.  With Estevan Florial on the way this is an area we can deal from without feeling much loss.  Even if we eat contracts we have capable players waiting in the wings that can fill the role.

The Cubs are loaded with talent.  Especially at catcher.  Wilson Contreras will be a great catcher for many seasons.  Victor Caratini is a switch hitter with a promising bat but his natural position is catcher so he is blocked from being a starter on a team with no DH.  Then you have Kyle Schwarber, his power lefty bat is already well known at his young age but after blowing out his knee they moved him to LF to hide his glove and keep his bat in the line-up everyday.  Kyle could be a capable catcher but starting would be too much stress on a knee that already gave out.  He lost weight but will still be a terrible left fielder however the bat will keep him in the line-up.

The Cubs and Yankees strike me as ideal trade partners.  The Yankees could give the Cubs defense and offense in LF with a proven veteran, can't miss prospect, or both.  The Cubs could give the Yankees an upgrade at back-up catcher that would allow the Yankees to keep Sanchez's bat in the line-up every game.  Both teams would be better off if a swap of Ellsbury and 3/4 of his contract and Frazier were traded for Schwarber or Gardner and McKinney were traded for Caratini.


I know most would want any trade to be for proven starting pitching but look around.  One thing you get from an expensive veteran starting pitcher is the assurance that the team will role them out there every 5th day because of the contract.  The Yankees have 5 proven starters and promising prospects in the wings.  I would rather be able to turn to Adams, Sheffield, German, Green, Warren, etc. if we have a hole in the rotation than be stuck with another expensive middle of the rotation guy.

10 months ago  ::  Mar 07, 2018 - 10:35PM #2
Bats
Posts: 7,985
Again, you want to spend 4 million dollars on a backup catcher?Especially when you're starting star catcher is making league minimum? Back up positions are back burner issues. This is not a priority. Four million dollars for a backup catcher is not Team friendly. However, it is for a starting catcher. Alex Avila will be a starting catcher for the diamond backs.

As for your proposed trade with the Cubs, did you talk to Theo and Cashman about this? Let us know what they said when you do.
10 months ago  ::  Mar 08, 2018 - 7:13AM #3
yankoldfan
Posts: 5,113

We know that we have an abundance of OF'rs, and we know we have a lot of talent, especially young talent in the waiting for those OF positions.. We have decent depth in the infield, but young infielders.. Put it this way, we have problems with roster spots... We know we need another starter or two, we also know we have some kids that are on the bubble of moving up to the big team as starters, just maybe a year or more away... In saying all of this, it's a given that we do have some trade chips that could bring us something pretty damn good... In my opinion, this is what Ca$hman and Co. has to sort out, what/when to pull the trigger on a trade or hold onto what we have... I'm betting by the trade deadline, the Yankees will have a better idea of what to do and what they need.. I think we have to be patient, but it's a hell of a good problem to have..

10 months ago  ::  Mar 08, 2018 - 11:03AM #4
louisiana_lightning
Posts: 13,089

Mar 7, 2018 -- 10:35PM, Bats wrote:

Again, you want to spend 4 million dollars on a backup catcher?Especially when you're starting star catcher is making league minimum? Back up positions are back burner issues. This is not a priority. Four million dollars for a backup catcher is not Team friendly. However, it is for a starting catcher. Alex Avila will be a starting catcher for the diamond backs. As for your proposed trade with the Cubs, did you talk to Theo and Cashman about this? Let us know what they said when you do.



I look at it like this.  Let's say we catch Sanchez 80% of the time making Romine the personal catcher for one of our pitchers.  That would give possibly our best hitter about 480 plate appearances if Gary bats around 6th in the order.  Sanchez most likely doesn't DH on his off days to give his knees a rest from catching more innings than all his peers.  Now if we had a backup like Avila then Sanchez could catch 60% of the time and DH 40% of the time getting him about 600 plate appearances.  


Avila is an accomplished catcher with a great arm and a power lefty bat.  With our top hitters being Sanchez, Judge, and Stanton the Yankees are unusually short on power lefty bats when 2/3 of the league's pitching is right handed.  The $4 million price tag is high when we are trying to stay under the luxury tax with enough space to pick one one or two more big contracts if needed at the deadline.  However the Yankees are paying Romine $1.1 million and we have Adam Lind in camp.  With our abundance of outfielders I can't imagine Lind is being brought in to play left field, Lind is there to be insurance for Bird and possibly provide a lefthanded DH at $2 million.  Those are things that Avila could have done for a mere $900 thousand more with another roster spot cleared and his at bats would have been much more productive than Romines justifying about 300 plate appearances rather than the 120 or so that Austin would get.


Cashman and Epstein most likely would not do a deal like this now, if it was going to happen it would have been a month or two ago.  I was just pointing out that the Cubs have two young players that are much better suited for an American League team and we have young players that are losing value and won't get a shot playing a position where the Cubs are trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

10 months ago  ::  Mar 08, 2018 - 11:40AM #5
Paterson
Posts: 5,720


    I thought Avila would have been a good signing too. It is possible that Cashman had another plan that did not work out abd that plan comitted the  dollars that Avila found elsewhere. 


   I think this is an example of how the Yankees paying "top dollar" in the past came back to haunt them in 2018. I wish we could have shaved a few dollars off the deals we gave Tanaka, McCann, Chapman and of course Ellsbury and had them available in 2018....but that is not how baseball works.    


   Returning to the title of the thread, the difference in salary between Miller and Chapman is $ 9 M. That is my "dead horse".  

10 months ago  ::  Mar 08, 2018 - 1:07PM #6
RobS44
Posts: 5,403

I think that in a perfect world, e.g., one where the Yanks go "Damn the luxury tax, full speed ahead," most of us would prefere Avila to Romine as the backup catcher.  But realistically, barring a serious injury to Sanchez, of course, a lot of things are going to have to go very,  very wrong before having Romine instead of Avila will factor significantly into the Yanks underpeforming.

10 months ago  ::  Mar 11, 2018 - 12:25AM #7
Walton
Posts: 2,718

Avila is a PROFESSIONAL hitter. You're right. A "tough" out. SUPPOSEDLY he doesn't "frame" pitches that well. He claims that whole analysis that is done around "framing" pitches is faulty and unfair. I'm glad Arizona got him. My favorite player is Zack Greinke so I follow Arizona closely...........Avila would have been a great "back up" for the Yankees. What is 4 million to the Yankees?

10 months ago  ::  Mar 11, 2018 - 2:27PM #8
RobS44
Posts: 5,403

Mar 11, 2018 -- 12:25AM, Walton wrote:


Avila is a PROFESSIONAL hitter. You're right. A "tough" out. SUPPOSEDLY he doesn't "frame" pitches that well. He claims that whole analysis that is done around "framing" pitches is faulty and unfair. I'm glad Arizona got him. My favorite player is Zack Greinke so I follow Arizona closely...........Avila would have been a great "back up" for the Yankees. What is 4 million to the Yankees?




If the Yanks are not trying to get and stay under the luxury tax, $4 mil is chump change to them.  But they are so $4 mil for a backup catcher is incompatible with that.

10 months ago  ::  Mar 11, 2018 - 3:30PM #9
yank0428
Posts: 15,758

Mar 8, 2018 -- 11:40AM, Paterson wrote:



    I thought Avila would have been a good signing too. It is possible that Cashman had another plan that did not work out abd that plan comitted the  dollars that Avila found elsewhere. 


   I think this is an example of how the Yankees paying "top dollar" in the past came back to haunt them in 2018. I wish we could have shaved a few dollars off the deals we gave Tanaka, McCann, Chapman and of course Ellsbury and had them available in 2018....but that is not how baseball works.    


   Returning to the title of the thread, the difference in salary between Miller and Chapman is $ 9 M. That is my "dead horse".  




Love Miller Pat but they got Torres and McKinney in that deal besides getting Chapman back. I know he makes a lot more then Miller but still a good trade off IMO for a team that needed to rebuild. 


 Miller is a free agent after this season. Get him back with the wallet open. Make it a 3 inning game. I think he liked it here and know the Yanks liked him.

10 months ago  ::  Mar 11, 2018 - 9:26PM #10
Paterson
Posts: 5,720

Mar 11, 2018 -- 3:30PM, yank0428 wrote:


Mar 8, 2018 -- 11:40AM, Paterson wrote:



    I thought Avila would have been a good signing too. It is possible that Cashman had another plan that did not work out abd that plan comitted the  dollars that Avila found elsewhere. 


   I think this is an example of how the Yankees paying "top dollar" in the past came back to haunt them in 2018. I wish we could have shaved a few dollars off the deals we gave Tanaka, McCann, Chapman and of course Ellsbury and had them available in 2018....but that is not how baseball works.    


   Returning to the title of the thread, the difference in salary between Miller and Chapman is $ 9 M. That is my "dead horse".  




Love Miller Pat but they got Torres and McKinney in that deal besides getting Chapman back. I know he makes a lot more then Miller but still a good trade off IMO for a team that needed to rebuild. 


 Miller is a free agent after this season. Get him back with the wallet open. Make it a 3 inning game. I think he liked it here and know the Yanks liked him.




    The guys the Yankees got for Miller are Frazier, Sheffield, Heller and Feyereisen. That trade might have cost us a World Series. 


I was fine moving Chapman. I never wanted him and hate his contract.   

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Jump Menu:
 
Network Forums Yankees I'll beat a dead horse one more time.
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum