Network Forums Yankees Bird Haters ? How do you like me now ?
Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Bird Haters ? How do you like me now ?
2 months ago  ::  Jul 12, 2018 - 11:41AM #41
RobS44
Posts: 5,245

Jul 11, 2018 -- 8:50PM, Lulu wrote:

8 rbis in 2 days , including a grand slammer.



Two good swings in two nights, while certainly welcome, do not erase 2 months of less than mediocre performance.  That being said, others have commented that he does seem to be hitting the ball with more authority even when he makes outs.  So good signs.


But let's see what he does between now and the end of the month before rushing to judgment.

2 months ago  ::  Jul 12, 2018 - 11:46AM #42
louisiana_lightning
Posts: 12,211

Jul 12, 2018 -- 11:41AM, RobS44 wrote:


Jul 11, 2018 -- 8:50PM, Lulu wrote:

8 rbis in 2 days , including a grand slammer.



Two good swings in two nights, while certainly welcome, do not erase 2 months of less than mediocre performance.  That being said, others have commented that he does seem to be hitting the ball with more authority even when he makes outs.  So good signs.


But let's see what he does between now and the end of the month before rushing to judgment.




On the season he is .208/.324/.440.  With Bird's defense if he can get his OPS over .800 he is fine.

2 months ago  ::  Jul 12, 2018 - 12:52PM #43
qwik3457
Posts: 11,298

Jul 12, 2018 -- 11:46AM, louisiana_lightning wrote:


Jul 12, 2018 -- 11:41AM, RobS44 wrote:


Jul 11, 2018 -- 8:50PM, Lulu wrote:

8 rbis in 2 days , including a grand slammer.



Two good swings in two nights, while certainly welcome, do not erase 2 months of less than mediocre performance.  That being said, others have commented that he does seem to be hitting the ball with more authority even when he makes outs.  So good signs.


But let's see what he does between now and the end of the month before rushing to judgment.




On the season he is .208/.324/.440.  With Bird's defense if he can get his OPS over .800 he is fine.




If he lifts his BAVG to .250, that gets his OPS to nearly .850 without any increase in power or walks. Now, he has to get to .250. We'll see.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
2 months ago  ::  Jul 12, 2018 - 2:44PM #44
Joeybagadonutz
Posts: 9,950

Jul 12, 2018 -- 12:52PM, qwik3457 wrote:


Jul 12, 2018 -- 11:46AM, louisiana_lightning wrote:


Jul 12, 2018 -- 11:41AM, RobS44 wrote:


Jul 11, 2018 -- 8:50PM, Lulu wrote:

8 rbis in 2 days , including a grand slammer.



Two good swings in two nights, while certainly welcome, do not erase 2 months of less than mediocre performance.  That being said, others have commented that he does seem to be hitting the ball with more authority even when he makes outs.  So good signs.


But let's see what he does between now and the end of the month before rushing to judgment.




On the season he is .208/.324/.440.  With Bird's defense if he can get his OPS over .800 he is fine.




If he lifts his BAVG to .250, that gets his OPS to nearly .850 without any increase in power or walks. Now, he has to get to .250. We'll see.




This guy was supposed to be a .280-.300 hitter with excellent command of the strike zone. According to some he is supposed to be the best hitter in this lineup. He's looking good lately but that obviously remains to be seen. 

 photo Signature small_zpsipxz034e.jpg
2 months ago  ::  Jul 12, 2018 - 4:06PM #45
El Guapo
Posts: 938
I pull for Bird because he's a Yankee, but after a couple of decent games I'm not ready to nominate him for the Hall of Fame.  He needs to do much better than his .208 batting average.  He has a nice-looking swing and appears to have solid power when he connects, but let's see some consistency before we start celebrating.
2 months ago  ::  Jul 12, 2018 - 11:00PM #46
yankoldfan
Posts: 4,471

I always look at a slump like this, your first hit after a slump can start a hitter off, if he's hits .300 for the next two months his overall average might come up to .250 or .260, but what the hell he's still hit .300 for those two months and they count just as much as if he had hit .300 for the year.. So lets hope Bird hits .280-.300 the rest of the year, he'll help a lot if he does...

2 months ago  ::  Jul 13, 2018 - 3:31AM #47
qwik3457
Posts: 11,298

Jul 12, 2018 -- 2:44PM, Joeybagadonutz wrote:


Jul 12, 2018 -- 12:52PM, qwik3457 wrote:


Jul 12, 2018 -- 11:46AM, louisiana_lightning wrote:


Jul 12, 2018 -- 11:41AM, RobS44 wrote:


Jul 11, 2018 -- 8:50PM, Lulu wrote:

8 rbis in 2 days , including a grand slammer.



Two good swings in two nights, while certainly welcome, do not erase 2 months of less than mediocre performance.  That being said, others have commented that he does seem to be hitting the ball with more authority even when he makes outs.  So good signs.


But let's see what he does between now and the end of the month before rushing to judgment.




On the season he is .208/.324/.440.  With Bird's defense if he can get his OPS over .800 he is fine.




If he lifts his BAVG to .250, that gets his OPS to nearly .850 without any increase in power or walks. Now, he has to get to .250. We'll see.




This guy was supposed to be a .280-.300 hitter with excellent command of the strike zone. According to some he is supposed to be the best hitter in this lineup. He's looking good lately but that obviously remains to be seen. 




I don't see how anyone looking at his minor league record and his major league K rate and his problems handling lefties with a good slider could project Bird to be more than a .260 hitter, .280 on a peak season. His career minor league BAVG is in the .280s. Yes, he hit .301 in AAA, but that was just about 200 AB. Not nearly a long enough track record to call him a .280-300 hitter.  Not saying you projected him for that, Joey, but I simply don't see a consistent .280+ major league hitter in any part of his track record, and too many holes in his K zone.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
2 months ago  ::  Jul 13, 2018 - 7:38AM #48
2BBobby
Posts: 1,006

Jul 12, 2018 -- 12:41AM, Jpep wrote:


I wouldn't call the hall of fame just yet. His mastering the pitching of the Baltimore Birds is a good start and hopefully has helped him turn it around, but he basically gave up the game with his defense, just yesterday, and hasn't hit all season until he met his feathered friends the Birds. I would like to see a tad bit more production from him, and have him stay on the field the entire second half before I crown him Teixiera's replacement and Tex wasn't exactly Tino Martinez. Let's let this carry on for awhile because the rest of the team has carried him for quite some time.  Props to him for a great series at Baltimore however! 




No need for gross exaggeration.You and a few others have seen fit to shine a spotlight on his early struggles for quite some time. Now some are simply acknowledging his recent production; nothing more.


In other threads, you’ve seemed confident that Bird “is not who everyone thought he is” (whatever that means); so confident you started a “Bird Watch” thread ostensibly to make your point…but actually to trash him. Curious as to how you reconcile “I would like to see him…stay on the field the entire second half” with your previously stated position.


Are you now questioning your own evaluation, or is this just a CYA?

2 months ago  ::  Jul 13, 2018 - 9:16AM #49
Lulu
Posts: 2,959
2 more rbis!
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Jump Menu:
 
Network Forums Yankees Bird Haters ? How do you like me now ?
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum