Network Forums Yankees Stop with Gardner leading off, it's an auto out.
Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Stop with Gardner leading off, it's an auto out.
3 months ago  ::  Aug 09, 2018 - 8:58AM #1
Hardball
Posts: 279
Gardner has really gone downhill quickly.  First off, he gives up a free strike to the pitcher, always.  Pitchers know he's not swinging at the first pitch and they pop it right down the middle, strike one.  Then he fouls off a pitch, already two strikes down.  What happens next is usually, another foul, followed by a strikeout or a ground ball to second.  Predictable, predictable, predictable.  Every pitcher knows his M.O. and he doesn't disappoint them.  Somehow he thinks he's going to get walked every at bat, so he takes that first pitch 100% of the time.  He plays right into the pitcher's hand.  Move him to the 8th or 9th position and have him swing at that first pitch when it's good. 
3 months ago  ::  Aug 09, 2018 - 9:18AM #2
louisiana_lightning
Posts: 12,562

The leadoff hitter has two things to focus on.  First is get on base and set the table.  The second is draw pitches and get deep in counts.  You don't want a Didi Gregorius or Miguel Andujar batting leadoff because they will swing at that first pitch and the last thing you want to do is open the game with a one pitch out and efficient inning for the opposing pitcher.  We have several players that are very good at working deep in counts such as Hicks 4.25 P/PA, Judge 4.25 P/PA, Gradner 4.19 P/PA, Bird 4.14 P/PA, and Stanton 4.10 P/PA then there are a few like Gregorius 3.65 P/PA and Andujar 3.61 P/PA that go up there hacking away that don't get deep in counts.  Hicks has done a better job at working counts and getting on base than Gardner this season and especially recently so I would prefer Hicks leadoff and Gardner bat 9th but I would not want them changing their approach or they lose value, neither Gardner nor Hicks is a .300 AVG threat so they need to play cat and mouse with the pitcher and make him work.

3 months ago  ::  Aug 09, 2018 - 9:24AM #3
1961wasfun
Posts: 1,043

Hey!!!! We've won 3 in a row and the sun is shining a little brighter these days!!   Sorry Hardball. Just thought I would balance this thread out a little bit. Smile

3 months ago  ::  Aug 09, 2018 - 9:24AM #4
Hardball
Posts: 279

I would go with Hicks as the leadoff guy.  Gardner should start considering looking to apply for Medicare, this guy has aged almost overnight...lol.

3 months ago  ::  Aug 09, 2018 - 9:25AM #5
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 73,944

Aug 9, 2018 -- 9:18AM, louisiana_lightning wrote:


The leadoff hitter has two things to focus on.  First is get on abase and set the table.  The second is draw pitches and get deep in counts.  You don't want a Didi Gregorius or Miguel Andujar batting leadoff because they will swing at that first pitch and the last thing you want to do is open the game with a one pitch out and efficient inning for the opposing pitcher.  We have several players that are very good at working deep in counts such as Hicks 4.25 P/PA, Judge 4.25 P/PA, Gradner 4.19 P/PA, Bird 4.14 P/PA, and Stanton 4.10 P/PA then there are a few like Gregorius 3.65 P/PA and Andujar 3.61 P/PA that go up there hacking away that don't get deep in counts.  Hicks has done a better job at working counts and getting on base than Gardner this season and especially recently so I would prefer Hicks leadoff and Gardner bat 9th but I would not want them changing their approach or they lose value, neither Gardner nor Hicks is a .300 AVG threat so they need to play cat and mouse with the pitcher and make him work.




I like the idea of Hicks leading off and Gardner batting 9th ... good lineup.

3 months ago  ::  Aug 09, 2018 - 9:30AM #6
louisiana_lightning
Posts: 12,562

Aug 9, 2018 -- 9:24AM, Hardball wrote:


I would go with Hicks as the leadoff guy.  Gardner should start considering looking to apply for Medicare, this guy has aged almost overnight...lol.




He is not far off from his lifetime numbers but is either slumping or declining.  He is at that age when you lose a step and it was predictable that the power from 2017 would fade quickly.  The Yankees can't pick up that option and if he returns in 2019 it should be as bench depth.  The situation would be worse if Ellsbury were in the mix when Judge was healthy.

3 months ago  ::  Aug 09, 2018 - 9:30AM #7
Hardball
Posts: 279

Yes, guys...3 in a row is great news, I'll take it even from the Mets...lol.  And the sun is really trying to come out today.  Yeah Mo, Gardner should be in the 9th spot, the script with him leading off is too predictable and too often not really working out.  Hicks is the best option I think.

3 months ago  ::  Aug 09, 2018 - 12:23PM #8
cleanuphtr12
Posts: 229

Aug 9, 2018 -- 8:58AM, Hardball wrote:

Gardner has really gone downhill quickly.  First off, he gives up a free strike to the pitcher, always.  Pitchers know he's not swinging at the first pitch and they pop it right down the middle, strike one.  Then he fouls off a pitch, already two strikes down.  What happens next is usually, another foul, followed by a strikeout or a ground ball to second.  Predictable, predictable, predictable.  Every pitcher knows his M.O. and he doesn't disappoint them.  Somehow he thinks he's going to get walked every at bat, so he takes that first pitch 100% of the time.  He plays right into the pitcher's hand.  Move him to the 8th or 9th position and have him swing at that first pitch when it's good. 



This post literally describes Gardner's entire career...  He goes into a slump and people come out to compain about his approach at the plate.  Then he gets hot and people shut up about it.  This isn't anything new.  He's an overly patient hitter who looks really bad when he's slumping and looks really good when he's hitting.  

3 months ago  ::  Aug 09, 2018 - 4:56PM #9
yankoldfan
Posts: 4,798

Aug 9, 2018 -- 12:23PM, cleanuphtr12 wrote:


Aug 9, 2018 -- 8:58AM, Hardball wrote:

Gardner has really gone downhill quickly.  First off, he gives up a free strike to the pitcher, always.  Pitchers know he's not swinging at the first pitch and they pop it right down the middle, strike one.  Then he fouls off a pitch, already two strikes down.  What happens next is usually, another foul, followed by a strikeout or a ground ball to second.  Predictable, predictable, predictable.  Every pitcher knows his M.O. and he doesn't disappoint them.  Somehow he thinks he's going to get walked every at bat, so he takes that first pitch 100% of the time.  He plays right into the pitcher's hand.  Move him to the 8th or 9th position and have him swing at that first pitch when it's good. 



This post literally describes Gardner's entire career...  He goes into a slump and people come out to compain about his approach at the plate.  Then he gets hot and people shut up about it.  This isn't anything new.  He's an overly patient hitter who looks really bad when he's slumping and looks really good when he's hitting.  




That description covers about 50 % of all players..

3 months ago  ::  Aug 09, 2018 - 5:03PM #10
thestraw44
Posts: 668

Aug 9, 2018 -- 9:25AM, GottaGoToMo wrote:


Aug 9, 2018 -- 9:18AM, louisiana_lightning wrote:


The leadoff hitter has two things to focus on.  First is get on abase and set the table.  The second is draw pitches and get deep in counts.  You don't want a Didi Gregorius or Miguel Andujar batting leadoff because they will swing at that first pitch and the last thing you want to do is open the game with a one pitch out and efficient inning for the opposing pitcher.  We have several players that are very good at working deep in counts such as Hicks 4.25 P/PA, Judge 4.25 P/PA, Gradner 4.19 P/PA, Bird 4.14 P/PA, and Stanton 4.10 P/PA then there are a few like Gregorius 3.65 P/PA and Andujar 3.61 P/PA that go up there hacking away that don't get deep in counts.  Hicks has done a better job at working counts and getting on base than Gardner this season and especially recently so I would prefer Hicks leadoff and Gardner bat 9th but I would not want them changing their approach or they lose value, neither Gardner nor Hicks is a .300 AVG threat so they need to play cat and mouse with the pitcher and make him work.




I like the idea of Hicks leading off and Gardner batting 9th ... good lineup.




Me too! Also like the idea of a switch hitting lead off guy. Just wish Boone can cement these guys in those spots and stop playing musical bats. With Judge out, it should be a no-brainer

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Jump Menu:
 
Network Forums Yankees Stop with Gardner leading off, it's an auto out.
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum