Network Forums Yankees Yankees prioritizing bullpen while waiting on...
Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Yankees prioritizing bullpen while waiting on Machado
9 months ago  ::  Dec 28, 2018 - 4:11PM #1
laurenf2
Posts: 9,400


Report: Yankees prioritizing bullpen while waiting on Machado




Elsa / Getty Images Sport / Getty













The New York Yankees are shifting gears in free agency, focusing on shoring up their bullpen while Manny Machado's market continues to develop, according to Jon Heyman of Fancred Sports.


Top relievers Adam OttavinoZach Britton, and David Robertson are reportedly all in play. New York may not stop at one arm, though, as both Britton and Robertson were on the Yankees in 2018, leaving two holes in the team's bullpen.


New York's relief corps is one of baseball's most daunting with or without further additions, with Aroldis ChapmanDellin BetancesChad Green, and Tommy Kahnleamong those on the roster.



There's still room for improvement, however. Right-hander Sonny Gray is expected to be traded at some point, and 25-year-old Stephen Tarpley has accrued a grand total of nine big-league innings.


Machado remains an option for the Yankees despite their pursuit of other free agents. The four-time All-Star reportedly told his suitors that he wouldn't sign before 2019.



9 months ago  ::  Dec 28, 2018 - 4:22PM #2
yankoldfan
Posts: 7,802

Dec 28, 2018 -- 4:11PM, laurenf2 wrote:




Report: Yankees prioritizing bullpen while waiting on Machado




Elsa / Getty Images Sport / Getty













The New York Yankees are shifting gears in free agency, focusing on shoring up their bullpen while Manny Machado's market continues to develop, according to Jon Heyman of Fancred Sports.


Top relievers Adam OttavinoZach Britton, and David Robertson are reportedly all in play. New York may not stop at one arm, though, as both Britton and Robertson were on the Yankees in 2018, leaving two holes in the team's bullpen.


New York's relief corps is one of baseball's most daunting with or without further additions, with Aroldis ChapmanDellin BetancesChad Green, and Tommy Kahnleamong those on the roster.



There's still room for improvement, however. Right-hander Sonny Gray is expected to be traded at some point, and 25-year-old Stephen Tarpley has accrued a grand total of nine big-league innings.


Machado remains an option for the Yankees despite their pursuit of other free agents. The four-time All-Star reportedly told his suitors that he wouldn't sign before 2019.






Any two starting with Britton then either Ottavino/Robertson would be great... Don't know a lot about Ottavino, but do know Robertson can pitch in NY... Go get them Ca$hman, it's the teams with Great Bull Pens that seem to be at the top when the season ends...

9 months ago  ::  Dec 28, 2018 - 4:43PM #3
yank0428
Posts: 17,317

It appears they can do both things at the same time.

9 months ago  ::  Dec 28, 2018 - 5:32PM #4
qwik3457
Posts: 11,861

As they should be.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
9 months ago  ::  Dec 28, 2018 - 6:04PM #5
bomberhojoe
Posts: 14,817
Yes, get 2 BP arms. And PLEASE pass on Machado!
John 3:16 * Ephesians 2:8-9 * Romans 10:9-10 * John 14:3-6 * Romans 5:8
9 months ago  ::  Dec 28, 2018 - 7:18PM #6
jete2sandman42
Posts: 1,826
Britton is the must. I’d like Robby back but would settle for another. To me, Britton’s the guy you can’t lose. Chapman’s health worries me, and Britton has proven he can close at an elite level, same can’t be said for Robby or Dellin.
9 months ago  ::  Dec 28, 2018 - 11:48PM #7
jimwest
Posts: 2,025

Dec 28, 2018 -- 4:11PM, laurenf2 wrote:




Report: Yankees prioritizing bullpen while waiting on Machado


The New York Yankees are shifting gears in free agency, focusing on shoring up their bullpen while Manny Machado's market continues to develop, according to Jon Heyman of Fancred Sports.






Top relievers Adam OttavinoZach Britton, and David Robertson are reportedly all in play. New York may not stop at one arm, though, as both Britton and Robertson were on the Yankees in 2018, leaving two holes in the team's bullpen.


New York's relief corps is one of baseball's most daunting with or without further additions, with Aroldis ChapmanDellin BetancesChad Green, and Tommy Kahnleamong those on the roster.


There's still room for improvement, however. Right-hander Sonny Gray is expected to be traded at some point, and 25-year-old Stephen Tarpley has accrued a grand total of nine big-league innings.


Machado remains an option for the Yankees despite their pursuit of other free agents. The four-time All-Star reportedly told his suitors that he wouldn't sign before 2019.






The bullpen should have been, and should be, the Yankees priority over Machado.A deep pen will be needed with starters too often not going more than 6 innings.


Chapman has had knee issues and has not seemed quite as unhittable. Betances can be inconsistent, and is a FA after 2019. Will they extend him, or consider trading him is a question. Green showed some slippage last year. Holder was a nice surprise, but it is only one good year for him thus far. Kahnle was bad in 2014/15, very good in 2016/17, and awful in 2018.


It is a good pen, but hardly great, especially if Britton and Drob walk and are not replaced. They could definitely use another lefty, a power one that can close, like Britton. With Miller now off the board, they should get him signed.  

9 months ago  ::  Dec 29, 2018 - 9:38PM #8
Kmer2
Posts: 95

I am all for bringing back both DRob AND Britton.



Ot`t`avino is a sexy name right now but frankly, while he had a great year (season) in 2018, he has a very unorthodox delivery that relies more on precise arm angle than actual "stuff", meaning deception that makes his fastball look more daunting than it actually is, but hey...it sure worked last season, right??? 



But at 33, is he really someone we can rely and depend on in a pennant race? Nobody can answer that, and we would be gambling a lot to find out.



Robertson???  Very proven big time performer who is as reliable as the day is long.



Britton just is nasty, and frankly, an entire season of Britton should be absolutely thrilling for Yankees and their fans.



Chapman has put on weight, and it is noticeable. Look at video of him just two years ago, and compare it to 2018.



No doubt, knee issues are tied to the weight gain, as he is putting more weight and force on the knee, leading to the injury issues, which in turn has lead to the decrease in fastball speed. While speed loss is not substantial, the days of the 101 t0 102 MPH fastballs are gone.



He can still be imposing throwing 96 to 97, but now, he is "in the pack", and not out in front of it.


But...he will still be a valuable closer. Britton would just be icing on the cake, and it would be a great cake at that.



I would love to see: Betances/Green/DROB/Britton/Kahnle/Holder/Chapman


This would be the very best pen in MLB, and if Kahnle comes back with any sort of contributions, this could be/would be one of the best, if not the best bullpens ever.



Buty there is still plenty of $$ to bring in BOTH Machado and Harper, based on revenues. Look at my posts in the Yankee's Off-Season thread.


Plenty of $$ to go around, and still net the partners north of $500 million in profits, based on last year's revenues.

kmer2

Kyle Merritt
Member since 2002
8 months ago  ::  Dec 31, 2018 - 4:49PM #9
thestraw44
Posts: 974

Dec 28, 2018 -- 7:18PM, jete2sandman42 wrote:

Britton is the must. I’d like Robby back but would settle for another. To me, Britton’s the guy you can’t lose. Chapman’s health worries me, and Britton has proven he can close at an elite level, same can’t be said for Robby or Dellin.



Why is Britton a must? He’s a closer by nature and he’s said that he wants to do just that. Unless Chappy goes down, why create another logjam on this team by appeasing him if that’s what he wants to do. They should pass on him and let him go to Phillies while we resign Robertson amd Ottavino.

8 months ago  ::  Jan 01, 2019 - 9:48AM #10
yankoldfan
Posts: 7,802

Dec 31, 2018 -- 4:49PM, thestraw44 wrote:


Dec 28, 2018 -- 7:18PM, jete2sandman42 wrote:

Britton is the must. I’d like Robby back but would settle for another. To me, Britton’s the guy you can’t lose. Chapman’s health worries me, and Britton has proven he can close at an elite level, same can’t be said for Robby or Dellin.



Why is Britton a must? He’s a closer by nature and he’s said that he wants to do just that. Unless Chappy goes down, why create another logjam on this team by appeasing him if that’s what he wants to do. They should pass on him and let him go to Phillies while we resign Robertson amd Ottavino.




Logjam ???? I don't see any problem with any kind of logjam, both will get chances to close, it's just the question to as when ?? Chapman's knee is a concern and a great left handed arm out of the BP should take care of any concerns.. I for one think the closer is an over rated name for a pitcher in the BP, I think in the right spot in the 7th inning, I might want a closer to shut it down right there... So many times in the last inning with no one on base the closer rule is over blown...

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Jump Menu:
 
Network Forums Yankees Yankees prioritizing bullpen while waiting on...
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum