Network Forums Yankees The Yankees are a better team with Urshela @ 3rd
Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 10 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
The Yankees are a better team with Urshela @ 3rd
6 months ago  ::  May 12, 2019 - 8:18AM #91
mikedorb
Posts: 1,354

Hopefully I turn out to be wrong about this but I don't see how Andujar can avoid surgery no matter how hard he wants to, Look at Bird. He had labrum surgery and hasn't hit since except for spring training games. Surgery offers no guarantees that you will come back the way you were before.


But Bird hit tremedously well in 2015 after rehabbing his labrum tear but unfortunately reaggravated the injury and had to have surgery the next off season. 


But Andujar can't continue the way he has been. I expected the torn labrum would affect his throwing but honestly he never could throw anyway so who knows how much effect the injury has had. But it clearly has compromised his swing. He can't drive the ball. When he makes contact it is generally either a weak popup or ground ball. Not the hard line drives he has always hit.


I think he has two choices neither of them good. Play through the injury which I doubt he will be able to do successfully. Or have the surgery with no guarantee he can return to be the hitter he always has been.


I do think ultimately he will elect to have the surgery probably sooner rather than later because things can't continue the way they are now.  


But if he does have the surgery it would potentially help clear up the glut they will have in the infield assuming Didi makes it back. Didi would go to short with Torres going back to second and LeMahieu being the swing man who could play second, first and third leaving Urshela to start at third assuming he continues to hit decently. I don't think anybody expects him to hit .350 all season but his glove is so good he needs to be given a chance to keep the job. But we should still be OK even if Urshela falls off the cliff because we have DJ LeMahieu to play third regularly if necessary.     


 


  


  


  

6 months ago  ::  May 12, 2019 - 10:17AM #92
Lola
Posts: 24,612

May 12, 2019 -- 8:18AM, mikedorb wrote:


Hopefully I turn out to be wrong about this but I don't see how Andujar can avoid surgery no matter how hard he wants to, Look at Bird. He had labrum surgery and hasn't hit since except for spring training games. Surgery offers no guarantees that you will come back the way you were before.


But Bird hit tremedously well in 2015 after rehabbing his labrum tear but unfortunately reaggravated the injury and had to have surgery the next off season. 


But Andujar can't continue the way he has been. I expected the torn labrum would affect his throwing but honestly he never could throw anyway so who knows how much effect the injury has had. But it clearly has compromised his swing. He can't drive the ball. When he makes contact it is generally either a weak popup or ground ball. Not the hard line drives he has always hit.


I think he has two choices neither of them good. Play through the injury which I doubt he will be able to do successfully. Or have the surgery with no guarantee he can return to be the hitter he always has been.


I do think ultimately he will elect to have the surgery probably sooner rather than later because things can't continue the way they are now.  


But if he does have the surgery it would potentially help clear up the glut they will have in the infield assuming Didi makes it back. Didi would go to short with Torres going back to second and LeMahieu being the swing man who could play second, first and third leaving Urshela to start at third assuming he continues to hit decently. I don't think anybody expects him to hit .350 all season but his glove is so good he needs to be given a chance to keep the job. But we should still be OK even if Urshela falls off the cliff because we have DJ LeMahieu to play third regularly if necessary.     


 


  


  


  




Are you always Debbie downer or is it just here on the messageboard?

6 months ago  ::  May 12, 2019 - 11:47AM #93
mikedorb
Posts: 1,354

durgery has always been a possibility but he wants and I am sure the Yankees do as well to avoid it if possible. That is why he tried the rehab first and see if he could play through it. I don't know what will happen but you have to admit the early signs aren't good. His swing looks greatly compromised because of the torn labrum. Bird did rehab his and came back and hit great but then reaggravated the injury and ultimately has to get the surgery. Which could very well be the case with Andujar.


Another example I remember where a player tried to rehab an injury came back and realized he had to get surgery after playing a couple of weeks was Tex in 2013 when he hurt his wrist while at the World Baseball Classic.


But one case where rehab worked was Tanaka with the torn ligament his elbow.


You have to try the rehab first if it has a chance of working before considering surgery. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. There is no way to predict.  


 


  

6 months ago  ::  May 12, 2019 - 9:55PM #94
davis2
Posts: 17,186

May 12, 2019 -- 8:18AM, mikedorb wrote:


Hopefully I turn out to be wrong about this but I don't see how Andujar can avoid surgery no matter how hard he wants to, Look at Bird. He had labrum surgery and hasn't hit since except for spring training games. Surgery offers no guarantees that you will come back the way you were before.


But Bird hit tremedously well in 2015 after rehabbing his labrum tear but unfortunately reaggravated the injury and had to have surgery the next off season. 


But Andujar can't continue the way he has been. I expected the torn labrum would affect his throwing but honestly he never could throw anyway so who knows how much effect the injury has had. But it clearly has compromised his swing. He can't drive the ball. When he makes contact it is generally either a weak popup or ground ball. Not the hard line drives he has always hit.


I think he has two choices neither of them good. Play through the injury which I doubt he will be able to do successfully. Or have the surgery with no guarantee he can return to be the hitter he always has been.


I do think ultimately he will elect to have the surgery probably sooner rather than later because things can't continue the way they are now.  


But if he does have the surgery it would potentially help clear up the glut they will have in the infield assuming Didi makes it back. Didi would go to short with Torres going back to second and LeMahieu being the swing man who could play second, first and third leaving Urshela to start at third assuming he continues to hit decently. I don't think anybody expects him to hit .350 all season but his glove is so good he needs to be given a chance to keep the job. But we should still be OK even if Urshela falls off the cliff because we have DJ LeMahieu to play third regularly if necessary.     


 


  


  


  



I don't think Andujar needs surgery, maybe I'm wrong...  He was hitting some balls hard this weekend, he just needs some AAA time to get his swing right. With Urshela around, they should give Miggy time to get right.

6 months ago  ::  May 12, 2019 - 11:53PM #95
mikedorb
Posts: 1,354

What we don't know is if or how much the torn labrum is affecting his hitting. Maybe he is just in a slump. If he is then maybe a brief trip to Scranton might be what the doctor ordered. It sure seemed to help Green at least for one day. It will allow him to knock the rust off from being out so long. I think in the first couple of games he was back he did hit a couple of balls hard that were caught. But recently it has been more strikeouts than what we usually expect from him and a lot of weak contact. Weak ground balls and pop ups. Instead of getting better he seems to be getting worse. He can't seem to drive the ball at all which makes me question his health. And he was probably our most consistent hitter last season. Most of our guys are very streaky but Andujar was very consistent from the beginning of the season to the end. He is a hard line drive hitter who hits a lot of balls in the gaps. And a pretty compact swing which usually means the player doesn't go into any extended slumps. That is why he has been such a good hitter. I hope his problems are not injury related but it is hard not to be suspicious considering I have never seen him look this bad for this many games in a row. 


I am not trying to put the blame on anybody but the Yankees seem to have a major issue with injuries. And I am not talking about the amount which is maybe the most I have ever seen in such a short period of time. But our guys at least the majority of them don't come back wiithin the expected time frame. Some of the injuries were clearly misdiagnosed and in a lot of cases when the player came back he was not ready to perform at the major league level. A number of them probably needed to stay longer on their rehab assignments to play more games.  And this is not a new problem. It has been going on well before this season.


Hicks is one player they seemed to go extra slow with. Lets see if he has more success when he comes back than Andujar has had so far. 


Because of the nature of their injuries I wonder if Judge and Stanton will wind up with completely lost seasons. They both will probably come back at some point but who knows how good they will be. And would anybody be surprised if Severino doesn't pitch at all this season and if he does he won't be very effective? The team has greatly exceeded our expectations so far given the amount of injuries but for them to have a realistic chance of winning the World Series they need to close to full health entering the post season.  


 

6 months ago  ::  May 13, 2019 - 7:31AM #96
yankoldfan
Posts: 8,207

If Andujar has any options left he should be sent down to AAA and find his stroke ?? He's not going the team or himself any good right now... With his ability to hit he just needs to go down and get his confidence back... I just can't believe last year was a fluke for him, his bat is too good ???

6 months ago  ::  May 13, 2019 - 9:03AM #97
mikedorb
Posts: 1,354

May 13, 2019 -- 7:31AM, yankoldfan wrote:


If Andujar has any options left he should be sent down to AAA and find his stroke ?? He's not going the team or himself any good right now... With his ability to hit he just needs to go down and get his confidence back... I just can't believe last year was a fluke for him, his bat is too good ???




I don't think last year was a fluke. The first time I saw him two years ago I could tell he was a natural hitter. And his minor league numbers show that this guy can hit. If he isn't injured which I am not sure isn't the case he needs to go down to Triple A to get his confidence back. Similar to Chad Green. You are so right. He is doing neither himself or the Yankees any good right now.


If the labrum is indeed not an issue this reminds me so much like Gary Sanchez last season. Starting out so poorly and never could catch up and wound up batting .186 which we all know wasn't the real Gary Sanchez. But unlike Sanchez I do believe Andujar has an option left and if that is the case the Yankees should strongly consider sending him down to see if he can find his stroke and be the Andujar he always has been. 

6 months ago  ::  May 13, 2019 - 9:24AM #98
bumper
Posts: 6,565

miggy had only 10 ABs at SWB so clearly they rushed him back. this is his spring training. unfortunately it's tough playing catch up and he's probably pressing, trying to do too much. hopefully the shoulder isn't holding him back. too bad we haven't gotten to see whether he'd improved at 3B. in any case keep riding urshela. even yesterday after K'ing 4 times, he came up w a big 2B in the 9th to put the game out of reach.

6 months ago  ::  May 13, 2019 - 9:33AM #99
JonahFalcon
Posts: 25,531

Fact: the Yanks wouldn't have rushed Andjuar back instead of AAA rehab if they thought Urshela was a starter.

6 months ago  ::  May 13, 2019 - 9:54AM #100
bumper
Posts: 6,565

May 13, 2019 -- 9:33AM, JonahFalcon wrote:


Fact: the Yanks wouldn't have rushed Andjuar back instead of AAA rehab if they thought Urshela was a starter.




fact: they rushed andujar back because they needed his bat not his glove. he went 3-10 w a HR at SWB. they thought he was ready and if his glove wasn't, they could slot him in as DH. urshela was batting .338 at the time. there was no urgency for a 3rd baseman. there was for andujar's bat. had nothing to do with their short term view of urshela as a starter.

Page 10 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Jump Menu:
 
Network Forums Yankees The Yankees are a better team with Urshela @ 3rd
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum