Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Bye Bye Andujar
4 months ago  ::  Jul 15, 2019 - 1:00PM #1
mic4life
Posts: 174
I've been a big Andujar fan but I think it's safe to say his injury has cost him his job.
4 months ago  ::  Jul 15, 2019 - 1:10PM #2
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 77,571

I think so too ... hopefully they will hold onto him so that he can have a good spring next season and then he will have some trade value.

4 months ago  ::  Jul 15, 2019 - 1:20PM #3
SSBob643
Posts: 1,365

Jul 15, 2019 -- 1:00PM, mic4life wrote:

I've been a big Andujar fan but I think it's safe to say his injury has cost him his job.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Like you I've always been a fan of Andujar, but his defensive deficiencies and lack of versatility have always made him vulnerable. Before the Stanton deal, I felt he would've been dealt and Gleyber would take over at 3B. Castro being gone opened a slot for both.


The addition and play of both DJL & Gio makes it look tough for Andujar to reclaim his job IMO. Problem is, his trade value has been greatly reduced. He'll need to show he's come back from the injury before Yanks can deal him for anything substantial.

4 months ago  ::  Jul 15, 2019 - 2:18PM #4
cookback
Posts: 1,405

Andujar is also young (24) ... D.J. is 32 and only signed through next year. Urshela is 27 and has plenty of years ahead before free agency, but this year is SUCH an anomalie for him that it's difficult to depend on this being who he really will be for the future... Not so excited to jetison Andujar yet unless it's for a big armed pitcher with years of control.

Life is better when the Yankees win !
4 months ago  ::  Jul 15, 2019 - 2:34PM #5
yank0428
Posts: 17,461

Jul 15, 2019 -- 2:18PM, cookback wrote:


Andujar is also young (24) ... D.J. is 32 and only signed through next year. Urshela is 27 and has plenty of years ahead before free agency, but this year is SUCH an anomalie for him that it's difficult to depend on this being who he really will be for the future... Not so excited to jetison Andujar yet unless it's for a big armed pitcher with years of control.




The problem is his defense and makes him a bat without a position.. I hope they somehow can build him up to get more value but watching Urshela and DJ excel defensively at 3rd just highlights what a liability Andujar is there. He will have to change positions I think because I don't see him getting much better with the glove at 3rd. Only other positions I think he might be OK at is 1st and OF.


 I like the kid. Love his bat but cringe when the ball is hit to him.

4 months ago  ::  Jul 15, 2019 - 2:50PM #6
felipe27point5
Posts: 2,645

Jul 15, 2019 -- 2:34PM, yank0428 wrote:


Jul 15, 2019 -- 2:18PM, cookback wrote:


Andujar is also young (24) ... D.J. is 32 and only signed through next year. Urshela is 27 and has plenty of years ahead before free agency, but this year is SUCH an anomalie for him that it's difficult to depend on this being who he really will be for the future... Not so excited to jetison Andujar yet unless it's for a big armed pitcher with years of control.




The problem is his defense and makes him a bat without a position.. I hope they somehow can build him up to get more value but watching Urshela and DJ excel defensively at 3rd just highlights what a liability Andujar is there. He will have to change positions I think because I don't see him getting much better with the glove at 3rd. Only other positions I think he might be OK at is 1st and OF.


 I like the kid. Love his bat but cringe when the ball is hit to him.




I think his defense was improving, and he's got time to become an adequate 3B.


I could see them moving him on the IL like they did with Fowler if they believe the labrum injury is going to be difficult to recover from. Worth noting that Bird hasn't been the same player since before that same injury. Maybe i'm reaching when i consider that a factor, maybe not. If they think Andujar is going to be a diminished player, moving him now makes sense.


If they think it won't be a factor (Bird may just be Bird) then it makes sense to get him back healthy and make a move in ST. I also like hedging bets and not betting too much on depth. Is Urshela for real or is this an anomaly? Wouldn't it stink if we moved Andujar only to swap out a long term option for somebody like Urshela to bomb, or LeMahieu to be a stopgap but not the future?


I don't know what his value is, but i trust Cashman pretty extensively to get the most out of Andujar either as a Yankee or as a trade chip.

You are welcome to recall my posts when it becomes that i'm proven wrong as long as we judge it on the merits of what we knew to be true at the time it was posted.
4 months ago  ::  Jul 15, 2019 - 3:15PM #7
Lola
Posts: 24,792

Add Bird to the Bye, Bye list!

4 months ago  ::  Jul 15, 2019 - 3:52PM #8
yank0428
Posts: 17,461

Jul 15, 2019 -- 2:50PM, felipe27point5 wrote:


Jul 15, 2019 -- 2:34PM, yank0428 wrote:


Jul 15, 2019 -- 2:18PM, cookback wrote:


Andujar is also young (24) ... D.J. is 32 and only signed through next year. Urshela is 27 and has plenty of years ahead before free agency, but this year is SUCH an anomalie for him that it's difficult to depend on this being who he really will be for the future... Not so excited to jetison Andujar yet unless it's for a big armed pitcher with years of control.




The problem is his defense and makes him a bat without a position.. I hope they somehow can build him up to get more value but watching Urshela and DJ excel defensively at 3rd just highlights what a liability Andujar is there. He will have to change positions I think because I don't see him getting much better with the glove at 3rd. Only other positions I think he might be OK at is 1st and OF.


 I like the kid. Love his bat but cringe when the ball is hit to him.




I think his defense was improving, and he's got time to become an adequate 3B.


I could see them moving him on the IL like they did with Fowler if they believe the labrum injury is going to be difficult to recover from. Worth noting that Bird hasn't been the same player since before that same injury. Maybe i'm reaching when i consider that a factor, maybe not. If they think Andujar is going to be a diminished player, moving him now makes sense.


If they think it won't be a factor (Bird may just be Bird) then it makes sense to get him back healthy and make a move in ST. I also like hedging bets and not betting too much on depth. Is Urshela for real or is this an anomaly? Wouldn't it stink if we moved Andujar only to swap out a long term option for somebody like Urshela to bomb, or LeMahieu to be a stopgap but not the future?


I don't know what his value is, but i trust Cashman pretty extensively to get the most out of Andujar either as a Yankee or as a trade chip.




You make good points Felipe although I didn't in the small sample this year see the improvement in the field I was hoping for. I agree about Urshela. Not sure if this is real. I do think LeMahieu has a few years left so lock him up but agree it's good to have a good young player to take over but just don't think he's going to ever be very good at 3rd. Tough call for Cashman to make. What to do and when to do it.

4 months ago  ::  Jul 15, 2019 - 4:00PM #9
felipe27point5
Posts: 2,645

Jul 15, 2019 -- 3:52PM, yank0428 wrote:


Jul 15, 2019 -- 2:50PM, felipe27point5 wrote:


Jul 15, 2019 -- 2:34PM, yank0428 wrote:


Jul 15, 2019 -- 2:18PM, cookback wrote:


Andujar is also young (24) ... D.J. is 32 and only signed through next year. Urshela is 27 and has plenty of years ahead before free agency, but this year is SUCH an anomalie for him that it's difficult to depend on this being who he really will be for the future... Not so excited to jetison Andujar yet unless it's for a big armed pitcher with years of control.




The problem is his defense and makes him a bat without a position.. I hope they somehow can build him up to get more value but watching Urshela and DJ excel defensively at 3rd just highlights what a liability Andujar is there. He will have to change positions I think because I don't see him getting much better with the glove at 3rd. Only other positions I think he might be OK at is 1st and OF.


 I like the kid. Love his bat but cringe when the ball is hit to him.




I think his defense was improving, and he's got time to become an adequate 3B.


I could see them moving him on the IL like they did with Fowler if they believe the labrum injury is going to be difficult to recover from. Worth noting that Bird hasn't been the same player since before that same injury. Maybe i'm reaching when i consider that a factor, maybe not. If they think Andujar is going to be a diminished player, moving him now makes sense.


If they think it won't be a factor (Bird may just be Bird) then it makes sense to get him back healthy and make a move in ST. I also like hedging bets and not betting too much on depth. Is Urshela for real or is this an anomaly? Wouldn't it stink if we moved Andujar only to swap out a long term option for somebody like Urshela to bomb, or LeMahieu to be a stopgap but not the future?


I don't know what his value is, but i trust Cashman pretty extensively to get the most out of Andujar either as a Yankee or as a trade chip.




You make good points Felipe although I didn't in the small sample this year see the improvement in the field I was hoping for. I agree about Urshela. Not sure if this is real. I do think LeMahieu has a few years left so lock him up but agree it's good to have a good young player to take over but just don't think he's going to ever be very good at 3rd. Tough call for Cashman to make. What to do and when to do it.





There's a reason cashman gets paid the money and we don't lol


Re Andujar's defense, i think it was mostly that i saw a lot of ST games, and they kept talking about things like improved footwork, good first step, things like that. It might not have played out in such a small sample, but the TV guys were raving about the improvements and the amount of work he put in over the offseason.


That's not to say we were watching Brooks Robinson at third, but his footwork was a significant part of his problems. Even just something like getting in the proper position to make a throw can improve throwing errors. How much that would play out over the season, who knows, but if we were to get back a player with defense somewhere between 2018 Andujar and an Average 3B, and Andujar's bat - i'd take that over Urshela. 


I don't like that it took Urshela 3 organizations and until age 27 to break out. I know you need good defense, but i think long term his bat isn't going to play. With Andujar you get a legitimate bat, and the type of bat that fits extremely well in the lineup. He has HR power, but he's more a doubles hitter that hits some HR's. His aggressiveness can be an asset because after laboring through facing guys like Judge and Stanton with their plate discipline, suddenly andujar jumps on one and pokes it to a gap somewhere. 


But again, i'm not going to lose sleep if Cashman traded him now, the offseason, or next july. 

You are welcome to recall my posts when it becomes that i'm proven wrong as long as we judge it on the merits of what we knew to be true at the time it was posted.
4 months ago  ::  Jul 15, 2019 - 9:25PM #10
maplebats
Posts: 861

LeMahieu, Urshela, and Voit have really taken advantage of their opportunities, and the Yankees are a much better team because of it. If that means Bird and Andujar can be used in a trade, so be it. Part of the reason teams develop prospects is to use them in trades to improve the team, but neither Bird nor Andujar have much trade value. Bird is a superb fielding first baseman playing a position where most teams expect to get power and production. The problem is that Bird is often injured and hits to a career .725 OPS, a .313 wOBA (.319 is league average), and a 95 wRC+ (100 is league average).


Andujar is a poor defensive third baseman who can hit a ton but is recovering from surgery on a career-threatening injury. I don't think there is a GM out there who is going to give up much of anything for Bird or Andujar this year. Perhaps if the Yankees work really hard with these players, maybe they can work themselves back onto the 25-man roster next year where they can showcase the fruits of their efforts and rehabilitate their careers. Bird's rate of injury means it is unwise to give it much time before trading him because he is very likely to sustain another injury in the meantime. As for Andujar, GM's are going to want to take a look at him on the field before they can apply any value at all to him. Andujar has no value, defensively. All he has is his offense. If that surgically-repaired torn labrum ends up having a negative effect on his swing, Andujar will have no value as a trade component.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum