Network Forums Yankees Why aren't the Yankees interested in Greinke?
Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Why aren't the Yankees interested in Greinke?
9 months ago  ::  Jul 27, 2019 - 8:01PM #1
Walton
Posts: 2,726
Since 2011. In the last nine years these are the best starters in baseball BY FAR. 1. Clayton Kershaw......135-48 {.737}.........2. Zack Greinke 137-55 {.713}.........3. Max Scherzer 147-61 {.706}.........Justin Verlander? 134-72 {.650}.............This year Greinke has pitched the 2nd most innings in the National League {141}.........He has the LOWEST WHIP in the National League 0.94 {Ryu 0.96 and Scherzer 0.99}..........He's a "head case?" That's the biggest bunch of bull I've ever heard. Zack Greinke is one of the most down to earth, mature, level headed players in the game. He just thinks alot of the publicity and press "stuff" is a bunch of malarkey. He couldn't pitch in New York? Why couldn't he? He was 51-15 in Los Angeles. I agree Los Angeles isn't New York but its not Anchorage Alaska either. He's 10-4 this year and if Arizona had any kind of bullpen he'd be 13-4. He's "getting old?" His fastball has been about 1/2 a mph better this year than it was last year. In his last start he was hitting 91-92 regularly. He's developed an excellent slow curve the last couple years. He reinvents himself if need be. He's 35. He has two years left on his contract. I think he'll be very good the next two years. He throws 200 innings every year. He "wouldn't adjust to New York." I find that laughable. Why wouldn't he adjust to New York? He's adjusted to everything else in his career. Zack Greinke is 20X's better than anyone the Yankees have including Severino who I don't think has ever gone more than 4 IP in a play-off game. Robbie Ray {of Arizona?} I watch a lot of Arizona's games {ALL of Zack's games.} Zack Greinke is better than Robbie Ray ever dreamed of being..............The Diamondbacks would be willing to pay probably $10 million per year of Greinke's forward salary so the Yankees could get him for $22 million per year. That's cheap. Scherzer makes $35 million Same with Strasburg. Kershaw $31 million. Verlander $28 million. That is a bargain.........I find it incredible more teams aren't doing everything they can to get Zack Greinke a Hall of Fame pitcher who has easily been one of the top 3 pitchers {regular season} in baseball the last nine years and has been very, very good for the Diamondbacks his last three years {go look at the numbers.} By the way Greinke has 5 Gold Gloves and is on his way to his 2nd Silver Slugger this year...........................Caveat. Greinke has "trade approval" to 15 teams {most of them the only teams that would have the $$$$$$$ to trade for him.} Perhaps he'd shoot down a trade to the Yankees and the Yankees already know that. I don't know...... but the idea he "couldn't pitch for the Yankees" I've always found to be a joke. He COULD pitch for the Yankees. Believe me.
9 months ago  ::  Jul 27, 2019 - 8:06PM #2
maplebats
Posts: 861

Jul 27, 2019 -- 8:01PM, Walton wrote:

Why aren't the Yankees interested in Greinke?



Because Greinke isn't interested in New York City.

9 months ago  ::  Jul 27, 2019 - 8:17PM #3
manbot
Posts: 726

Jul 27, 2019 -- 8:01PM, Walton wrote:

Since 2011. In the last nine years these are the best starters in baseball BY FAR. 1. Clayton Kershaw......135-48 {.737}.........2. Zack Greinke 137-55 {.713}.........3. Max Scherzer 147-61 {.706}.........Justin Verlander? 134-72 {.650}.............This year Greinke has pitched the 2nd most innings in the National League {141}.........He has the LOWEST WHIP in the National League 0.94 {Ryu 0.96 and Scherzer 0.99}..........He's a "head case?" That's the biggest bunch of bull I've ever heard. Zack Greinke is one of the most down to earth, mature, level headed players in the game. He just thinks alot of the publicity and press "stuff" is a bunch of malarkey. He couldn't pitch in New York? Why couldn't he? He was 51-15 in Los Angeles. I agree Los Angeles isn't New York but its not Anchorage Alaska either. He's 10-4 this year and if Arizona had any kind of bullpen he'd be 13-4. He's "getting old?" His fastball has been about 1/2 a mph better this year than it was last year. In his last start he was hitting 91-92 regularly. He's developed an excellent slow curve the last couple years. He reinvents himself if need be. He's 35. He has two years left on his contract. I think he'll be very good the next two years. He throws 200 innings every year. He "wouldn't adjust to New York." I find that laughable. Why wouldn't he adjust to New York? He's adjusted to everything else in his career. Zack Greinke is 20X's better than anyone the Yankees have including Severino who I don't think has ever gone more than 4 IP in a play-off game. Robbie Ray {of Arizona?} I watch a lot of Arizona's games {ALL of Zack's games.} Zack Greinke is better than Robbie Ray ever dreamed of being..............The Diamondbacks would be willing to pay probably $10 million per year of Greinke's forward salary so the Yankees could get him for $22 million per year. That's cheap. Scherzer makes $35 million Same with Strasburg. Kershaw $31 million. Verlander $28 million. That is a bargain.........I find it incredible more teams aren't doing everything they can to get Zack Greinke a Hall of Fame pitcher who has easily been one of the top 3 pitchers {regular season} in baseball the last nine years and has been very, very good for the Diamondbacks his last three years {go look at the numbers.} By the way Greinke has 5 Gold Gloves and is on his way to his 2nd Silver Slugger this year...........................Caveat. Greinke has "trade approval" to 15 teams {most of them the only teams that would have the $$$$$$$ to trade for him.} Perhaps he'd shoot down a trade to the Yankees and the Yankees already know that. I don't know...... but the idea he "couldn't pitch for the Yankees" I've always found to be a joke. He COULD pitch for the Yankees. Believe me.




I believe he has over 100 million remaining on his contract through 2021 


Not sure who would eat this Yankees or current team but he has $62.5M deferred to 2022-2026 ($12.5 per year)


I would try like hell to trade Stanton for him.  

9 months ago  ::  Jul 27, 2019 - 8:22PM #4
Paterson
Posts: 6,615

   Stanton is not going anywhere unless he want to go there. He likes Florida which is why he signed there. He still likes it there. 

9 months ago  ::  Jul 27, 2019 - 8:34PM #5
Walton
Posts: 2,726

Jul 27, 2019 -- 8:17PM, manbot wrote:


Jul 27, 2019 -- 8:01PM, Walton wrote:

Since 2011. In the last nine years these are the best starters in baseball BY FAR. 1. Clayton Kershaw......135-48 {.737}.........2. Zack Greinke 137-55 {.713}.........3. Max Scherzer 147-61 {.706}.........Justin Verlander? 134-72 {.650}.............This year Greinke has pitched the 2nd most innings in the National League {141}.........He has the LOWEST WHIP in the National League 0.94 {Ryu 0.96 and Scherzer 0.99}..........He's a "head case?" That's the biggest bunch of bull I've ever heard. Zack Greinke is one of the most down to earth, mature, level headed players in the game. He just thinks alot of the publicity and press "stuff" is a bunch of malarkey. He couldn't pitch in New York? Why couldn't he? He was 51-15 in Los Angeles. I agree Los Angeles isn't New York but its not Anchorage Alaska either. He's 10-4 this year and if Arizona had any kind of bullpen he'd be 13-4. He's "getting old?" His fastball has been about 1/2 a mph better this year than it was last year. In his last start he was hitting 91-92 regularly. He's developed an excellent slow curve the last couple years. He reinvents himself if need be. He's 35. He has two years left on his contract. I think he'll be very good the next two years. He throws 200 innings every year. He "wouldn't adjust to New York." I find that laughable. Why wouldn't he adjust to New York? He's adjusted to everything else in his career. Zack Greinke is 20X's better than anyone the Yankees have including Severino who I don't think has ever gone more than 4 IP in a play-off game. Robbie Ray {of Arizona?} I watch a lot of Arizona's games {ALL of Zack's games.} Zack Greinke is better than Robbie Ray ever dreamed of being..............The Diamondbacks would be willing to pay probably $10 million per year of Greinke's forward salary so the Yankees could get him for $22 million per year. That's cheap. Scherzer makes $35 million Same with Strasburg. Kershaw $31 million. Verlander $28 million. That is a bargain.........I find it incredible more teams aren't doing everything they can to get Zack Greinke a Hall of Fame pitcher who has easily been one of the top 3 pitchers {regular season} in baseball the last nine years and has been very, very good for the Diamondbacks his last three years {go look at the numbers.} By the way Greinke has 5 Gold Gloves and is on his way to his 2nd Silver Slugger this year...........................Caveat. Greinke has "trade approval" to 15 teams {most of them the only teams that would have the $$$$$$$ to trade for him.} Perhaps he'd shoot down a trade to the Yankees and the Yankees already know that. I don't know...... but the idea he "couldn't pitch for the Yankees" I've always found to be a joke. He COULD pitch for the Yankees. Believe me.




I believe he has over 100 million remaining on his contract through 2021 


Not sure who would eat this Yankees or current team but he has $62.5M deferred to 2022-2026 ($12.5 per year)


I would try like hell to trade Stanton for him.  




Nah........He's owed approx. another $12 mil {of the full season $32 million} for 2019. For 2020 and 2021 he's owed 32.5 mil and 32.5 mil so that's a total of $77 million NOT $100 million AND the Diamondbacks would be willing to pay $10 million in 2020 and 2021 so he'd be owed $57 million total {there's a $3 million trade kicker for Arizona but not the Yankees.} The deferred money {I thought it was $10 million per year deferred} is part of the 32.5 million. IT IS NOT AS COMPLICATED AS PEOPLE MAKE IT OUT TO BE. It is pretty straight forward and as I said Strasburg makes $35 million and so does Scherzer etc. etc. That's the going rate. The Yankees would have to pay Greinke $22 million in 2020 and $22 million in 2021 {including the deferred money later.} Not complicated or THAT expensive at all.

9 months ago  ::  Jul 27, 2019 - 9:07PM #6
SSBob643
Posts: 2,743

The rap on Greinke has been he has psych issues...couldn't handle NYC fans & media..


While it is true he dealt with anxiety problems when he was with KC...a small market team...he handled LA just fine. So...his choice whether he wants to pitch in NY. 

9 months ago  ::  Jul 27, 2019 - 9:24PM #7
jimwest
Posts: 2,275

Jul 27, 2019 -- 9:07PM, SSBob643 wrote:


The rap on Greinke has been he has psych issues...couldn't handle NYC fans & media..


While it is true he dealt with anxiety problems when he was with KC...a small market team...he handled LA just fine. So...his choice whether he wants to pitch in NY. 




Bob, although LA is a big city, big market, the east coast teams are more of a pressure cooker than LA.


I don't believe he would handle NY well unless he was great from day 1.

9 months ago  ::  Jul 27, 2019 - 9:38PM #8
bumper
Posts: 6,872

Jul 27, 2019 -- 9:24PM, jimwest wrote:


Jul 27, 2019 -- 9:07PM, SSBob643 wrote:


The rap on Greinke has been he has psych issues...couldn't handle NYC fans & media..


While it is true he dealt with anxiety problems when he was with KC...a small market team...he handled LA just fine. So...his choice whether he wants to pitch in NY. 




Bob, although LA is a big city, big market, the east coast teams are more of a pressure cooker than LA.


I don't believe he would handle NY well unless he was great from day 1.



don't think he could handle the people on this forum saying he's garbage if he has a bad start ...

9 months ago  ::  Jul 27, 2019 - 9:44PM #9
njyf
Posts: 1,040

Jul 27, 2019 -- 8:22PM, Paterson wrote:


   Stanton is not going anywhere unless he want to go there. He likes Florida which is why he signed there. He still likes it there. 



Be careful when you say Florida. I doubt he would be interested in Tampa Bay. I think he is a Miami guy, like Arod.

9 months ago  ::  Jul 27, 2019 - 9:45PM #10
njyf
Posts: 1,040

Jul 27, 2019 -- 9:24PM, jimwest wrote:


Jul 27, 2019 -- 9:07PM, SSBob643 wrote:


The rap on Greinke has been he has psych issues...couldn't handle NYC fans & media..


While it is true he dealt with anxiety problems when he was with KC...a small market team...he handled LA just fine. So...his choice whether he wants to pitch in NY. 




Bob, although LA is a big city, big market, the east coast teams are more of a pressure cooker than LA.


I don't believe he would handle NY well unless he was great from day 1.



Would LA fans boo a pitcher coming off the mound if he has a bad outing?

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Jump Menu:
 
Network Forums Yankees Why aren't the Yankees interested in Greinke?
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum