Network Forums Yankees So glad Steinbrenner is "commited to winning"
Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
So glad Steinbrenner is "commited to winning"
8 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2019 - 2:42PM #21
luvdayanks
Posts: 27,427

Oct 16, 2019 -- 9:40AM, bumper wrote:


Oct 16, 2019 -- 12:37AM, Jon wrote:


Verlander + Cole or Gray + Happ.


Steinbrenner: "We can't spend that much!"


Cashman: "Okay, well, Happ and Gray have better fWARs than those two anyway."




once again here are your posts on verlander at the time of the trade deadline in '17.


Jun 28, 2017 -- 11:25PM, JonahFalcon wrote:


Who's going to pay the $28M per year for Verlander?




Jun 28, 2017 -- 11:34PM, JonahFalcon wrote:


Keep in mind, 2016 was an aberration -- and he also gave up 30 HR. He led the majors in ER given up in 2014.


A 1.447 WHIP and 4.47 ERA for $28 million?


He's also given up 1 HR per 16.5 AB in Yankee Stadium for his entire career, even when he was at his best.


That's 39-42 HRs in a full season.




oh and you liked sonny gray at the time.


Aug 19, 2017 -- 10:31PM, JonahFalcon wrote:


He (gray) has something like a 1.88 ERA in his last 10 starts.



Aug 20, 2017 -- 1:30PM, JonahFalcon wrote:





it's one thing to second guess (and whine), it's another to second guess about the things you were wrong about at the time.


sure we would all luv to have verlander and cole NOW in hindsight. it's been explained to you many times why it didn't happened (and you yourself agreed). but apparently none of that seeped into your mini-brain.


we have to play the hand we have and yeah it doesn't look but they are still games to play.







Once again, king d00che Falcon caught in his Web of misinformation, fabrications and lies. Good stuff Bumper.

8 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2019 - 2:54PM #22
maplebats
Posts: 861

Oct 16, 2019 -- 12:37AM, Jon wrote:


Verlander + Cole or Gray + Happ.


Steinbrenner: "We can't spend that much!"


Cashman: "Okay, well, Happ and Gray have better fWARs than those two anyway."




The currency to acquire Verlander and Cole was not dollars but prospects. This franchise was not then, and is not now, in a good position to overpay in prospects to acquire any veteran player. The Yankee payroll is the second-highest in baseball at $220M. $220M in payroll is one heck of an enormous commitment. Only the Red Sox are higher at $230M. The Astros and Nationals are at $168M. The Rays took the Astros to the edge of elimination and the Rays payroll is $64M. Obviously, there isn't a proportional correlation between amount of payroll and ability to field a championship. It isn't how much you spend, it's how well you spend it.


Since the earliest 2000's, I've said the same thing. Cashman knows how to build a team to win in the regular season. He is clueless when it comes to building teams that can win in the post season. Cashman loves the homerun. Think back to early in this season when we encountered the first wave of injuries. All of a sudden we saw LeMahieu, Urshela, Frazier, Judge and Gleyber lashing the ball to all parts of the field. Judge and Gleyber hit a combined 10 HRs in the month of April, but the patience and discipline at the plate was paying dividends. They were working deep into counts. They were not trying to do too much, hitting the ball where it was thrown, manufacturing runs by getting runners on base and having great at-bats with men in scoring position.


For some inexplicable reason, this Yankees offense in this ALCS has gotten completely away from the things that they did to win 103 games. I don't think we can truly know anymore whether this is because of a directive from Brian Cashman or from Aaron Boone, but someone has made some terrible decisions that have not given the team its maximum chances to win. None of the blame falls on the Yankees pitching. For the most part (ie - except Ottavino), the Yankees pitching has done its job. The Yankees offense has been dreadful, swinging at the first pitch, swinging at pitches well out of the zone. Every bad habit that these Yankees hitters shook off this year has suddenly come back in full force in this ALCS. Boone and some of his coaches have had an absolutely horrendous approach to this ALCS. Is Boone under orders from Cashman? Who knows, but the Yankees have blown many huge opportunities in this ALCS, and none of it is the fault of the pitching staff or owner Hal Steinbrenner.

8 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2019 - 3:14PM #23
cleanuphtr12
Posts: 1,272

Oct 16, 2019 -- 2:54PM, maplebats wrote:


Oct 16, 2019 -- 12:37AM, Jon wrote:


Verlander + Cole or Gray + Happ.


Steinbrenner: "We can't spend that much!"


Cashman: "Okay, well, Happ and Gray have better fWARs than those two anyway."




The currency to acquire Verlander and Cole was not dollars but prospects. This franchise was not then, and is not now, in a good position to overpay in prospects to acquire any veteran player. The Yankee payroll is the second-highest in baseball at $220M. $220M in payroll is one heck of an enormous commitment. Only the Red Sox are higher at $230M. The Astros and Nationals are at $168M. The Rays took the Astros to the edge of elimination and the Rays payroll is $64M. Obviously, there isn't a proportional correlation between amount of payroll and ability to field a championship. It isn't how much you spend, it's how well you spend it.


Since the earliest 2000's, I've said the same thing. Cashman knows how to build a team to win in the regular season. He is clueless when it comes to building teams that can win in the post season. Cashman loves the homerun. Think back to early in this season when we encountered the first wave of injuries. All of a sudden we saw LeMahieu, Urshela, Frazier, Judge and Gleyber lashing the ball to all parts of the field. Judge and Gleyber hit a combined 10 HRs in the month of April, but the patience and discipline at the plate was paying dividends. They were working deep into counts. They were not trying to do too much, hitting the ball where it was thrown, manufacturing runs by getting runners on base and having great at-bats with men in scoring position.


For some inexplicable reason, this Yankees offense in this ALCS has gotten completely away from the things that they did to win 103 games. I don't think we can truly know anymore whether this is because of a directive from Brian Cashman or from Aaron Boone, but someone has made some terrible decisions that have not given the team its maximum chances to win. None of the blame falls on the Yankees pitching. For the most part (ie - except Ottavino), the Yankees pitching has done its job. The Yankees offense has been dreadful, swinging at the first pitch, swinging at pitches well out of the zone. Every bad habit that these Yankees hitters shook off this year has suddenly come back in full force in this ALCS. Boone and some of his coaches have had an absolutely horrendous approach to this ALCS. Is Boone under orders from Cashman? Who knows, but the Yankees have blown many huge opportunities in this ALCS, and none of it is the fault of the pitching staff or owner Hal Steinbrenner.





Or...



This team has hit a lot of home runs all year long but also did a lot of other things well.  They've stopped doing those other things well when going up against two of the best pitchers in the sport.



I know you've been beating the "not built for the playoffs" drum for years, but its always been ridiculous.  The Astros hit a lot of home runs too.  Guess what won them games 2 and 3?  A pair of solo shots in each game.  

_______________________________________________

Please note:  I'm arguing against your post, not against you as a person.  I respect your right to have a different opinion even if I completely disagree with every word you wrote.
8 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2019 - 3:38PM #24
yank0428
Posts: 17,987

Oct 16, 2019 -- 2:12PM, Paterson wrote:


      We just lost two games in a row...one of which we scored 2 runs and the second where we scored 1. I don't care if we bring back Seaver, Gibson and Carlton...we are not going far if we average 1.5 runs per game.


     Score 7 runs and the pitching problems disappear.




Against who Pat? Verlander and Cole. If the Yanks had them this wouldn't have happened. Only kidding. 


 I don't blame Cashman for not getting them.Pirates took less for Cole. Hal wouldn't add Verlanders contract. 


 The issues with Verlander was Hals budget. The issue with Corbin was Hals budget. We could go back to Scherzer and probably say the same thing. With Cole going free agent less money offered better not be the issue. This team needs an ace. CC was an Ace the last time they won. The Nats have 3. The Astros have 2. The Yanks despite Tanaka being great in the postseason have none.

8 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2019 - 4:04PM #25
Balboni
Posts: 264

Oct 16, 2019 -- 3:14PM, cleanuphtr12 wrote:


Oct 16, 2019 -- 2:54PM, maplebats wrote:


Oct 16, 2019 -- 12:37AM, Jon wrote:


Verlander + Cole or Gray + Happ.


Steinbrenner: "We can't spend that much!"


Cashman: "Okay, well, Happ and Gray have better fWARs than those two anyway."




The currency to acquire Verlander and Cole was not dollars but prospects. This franchise was not then, and is not now, in a good position to overpay in prospects to acquire any veteran player. The Yankee payroll is the second-highest in baseball at $220M. $220M in payroll is one heck of an enormous commitment. Only the Red Sox are higher at $230M. The Astros and Nationals are at $168M. The Rays took the Astros to the edge of elimination and the Rays payroll is $64M. Obviously, there isn't a proportional correlation between amount of payroll and ability to field a championship. It isn't how much you spend, it's how well you spend it.


Since the earliest 2000's, I've said the same thing. Cashman knows how to build a team to win in the regular season. He is clueless when it comes to building teams that can win in the post season. Cashman loves the homerun. Think back to early in this season when we encountered the first wave of injuries. All of a sudden we saw LeMahieu, Urshela, Frazier, Judge and Gleyber lashing the ball to all parts of the field. Judge and Gleyber hit a combined 10 HRs in the month of April, but the patience and discipline at the plate was paying dividends. They were working deep into counts. They were not trying to do too much, hitting the ball where it was thrown, manufacturing runs by getting runners on base and having great at-bats with men in scoring position.


For some inexplicable reason, this Yankees offense in this ALCS has gotten completely away from the things that they did to win 103 games. I don't think we can truly know anymore whether this is because of a directive from Brian Cashman or from Aaron Boone, but someone has made some terrible decisions that have not given the team its maximum chances to win. None of the blame falls on the Yankees pitching. For the most part (ie - except Ottavino), the Yankees pitching has done its job. The Yankees offense has been dreadful, swinging at the first pitch, swinging at pitches well out of the zone. Every bad habit that these Yankees hitters shook off this year has suddenly come back in full force in this ALCS. Boone and some of his coaches have had an absolutely horrendous approach to this ALCS. Is Boone under orders from Cashman? Who knows, but the Yankees have blown many huge opportunities in this ALCS, and none of it is the fault of the pitching staff or owner Hal Steinbrenner.





Or...



This team has hit a lot of home runs all year long but also did a lot of other things well.  They've stopped doing those other things well when going up against two of the best pitchers in the sport.



I know you've been beating the "not built for the playoffs" drum for years, but its always been ridiculous.  The Astros hit a lot of home runs too.  Guess what won them games 2 and 3?  A pair of solo shots in each game.  




Yeah it's pretty funny and not sure why this poster doesn't mention that Houston's HR's have made the difference in the last 2 games. Houston is much better at not strinking out but both teams score tons of runs via the HR. They were 3rd in the majors in HR's. Houston would not be where they are without being a good HR hitting team


I think this is the same guy that said the game 2 loss was all on Boone with his pitching moves, now he is saying that you can't blame the Yankee pitching, which is it ?


Just heard Boone with Francesa and Mike asked him about the approach against Verlander and Cole and he said the approach was to be aggressive against both because both guys get ahead in the count and then are next to impossible to hit. I think it was the right approach against Cole. He didn't have his best stuff early and they jumped on him. The problem was leaving 9 guys on base in the first few innings and not coming up with the big hit. They did get 5 walks off of Cole. 


I love this line " For some inexplicable reason, this Yankees offense in this ALCS has gotten completely away from the things that they did to win 103 games" I don't know maybe facing the 2 best pitchers in the AL have something to do with it ? No one seemed to be complaining about the Yanks team approach after game 1.




8 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2019 - 5:06PM #26
njyf
Posts: 1,045

Oct 16, 2019 -- 3:38PM, yank0428 wrote:


Oct 16, 2019 -- 2:12PM, Paterson wrote:


      We just lost two games in a row...one of which we scored 2 runs and the second where we scored 1. I don't care if we bring back Seaver, Gibson and Carlton...we are not going far if we average 1.5 runs per game.


     Score 7 runs and the pitching problems disappear.




Against who Pat? Verlander and Cole. If the Yanks had them this wouldn't have happened. Only kidding. 


 I don't blame Cashman for not getting them.Pirates took less for Cole. Hal wouldn't add Verlanders contract. 


 The issues with Verlander was Hals budget. The issue with Corbin was Hals budget. We could go back to Scherzer and probably say the same thing. With Cole going free agent less money offered better not be the issue. This team needs an ace. CC was an Ace the last time they won. The Nats have 3. The Astros have 2. The Yanks despite Tanaka being great in the postseason have none.



Ellsbury's terrible contract is still having repercussions right now. Without his $153M contract hanging over the Yankees, I think Hal would have been more willing to take on Verlander's contract.


Signing Ellsbury was an epic fail.

8 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2019 - 5:16PM #27
luvdayanks
Posts: 27,427

Oct 16, 2019 -- 5:06PM, njyf wrote:


Oct 16, 2019 -- 3:38PM, yank0428 wrote:


Oct 16, 2019 -- 2:12PM, Paterson wrote:


      We just lost two games in a row...one of which we scored 2 runs and the second where we scored 1. I don't care if we bring back Seaver, Gibson and Carlton...we are not going far if we average 1.5 runs per game.


     Score 7 runs and the pitching problems disappear.




Against who Pat? Verlander and Cole. If the Yanks had them this wouldn't have happened. Only kidding. 


 I don't blame Cashman for not getting them.Pirates took less for Cole. Hal wouldn't add Verlanders contract. 


 The issues with Verlander was Hals budget. The issue with Corbin was Hals budget. We could go back to Scherzer and probably say the same thing. With Cole going free agent less money offered better not be the issue. This team needs an ace. CC was an Ace the last time they won. The Nats have 3. The Astros have 2. The Yanks despite Tanaka being great in the postseason have none.



Ellsbury's terrible contract is still having repercussions right now. Without his $153 contract hanging over the Yankees, I think Hal would have been more willing to take on Verlander's contract.


Signing Ellsbury was an epic fail.




I think it went past epic  fail a while back. 

8 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2019 - 5:37PM #28
njyf
Posts: 1,045

^ The sad part is that they seem to turn stingy when it came to premiere pitchers but didn't mind spending big on position players (Ellsbury, Stanton).


If they did the opposite, i.e. spending on Verlander and Schzerzer and passing on Ellsbury and Stanton, I really think they would have won AT LEAST one championship (2017) the last three years and maybe more.

8 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2019 - 5:44PM #29
SSBob643
Posts: 3,017

Oct 16, 2019 -- 5:25PM, Patricia wrote:


Oct 16, 2019 -- 12:37AM, Jon wrote:


Verlander + Cole or Gray + Happ.


Steinbrenner: "We can't spend that much!"


Cashman: "Okay, well, Happ and Gray have better fWARs than those two anyway."




1- no one say this with Verlander . He was on the down size with the Tigers and on the verge of being cut .


2- Cole the asking price was too much. They wanted both Torres and  Andjuar +


3-Corbin was a  mistake . They should have given him the extra year


4- Schertzer was also a mistake . He was 29 at the time . The Yankees loath giving pitchers about to turn 30 a long term deal . BUT, he has turned into a good signing for the Nats . He has     He has won 2 Cy Youngs for the Nats and one for the Tigers. That  was a big mistake by the organization. The Nats got their monies worth already.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Needs just a liitle tinsel...


8 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2019 - 8:15PM #30
maplebats
Posts: 861

Oct 16, 2019 -- 4:04PM, Balboni wrote:


Oct 16, 2019 -- 3:14PM, cleanuphtr12 wrote:


Oct 16, 2019 -- 2:54PM, maplebats wrote:


Oct 16, 2019 -- 12:37AM, Jon wrote:


Verlander + Cole or Gray + Happ.


Steinbrenner: "We can't spend that much!"


Cashman: "Okay, well, Happ and Gray have better fWARs than those two anyway."




The currency to acquire Verlander and Cole was not dollars but prospects. This franchise was not then, and is not now, in a good position to overpay in prospects to acquire any veteran player. The Yankee payroll is the second-highest in baseball at $220M. $220M in payroll is one heck of an enormous commitment. Only the Red Sox are higher at $230M. The Astros and Nationals are at $168M. The Rays took the Astros to the edge of elimination and the Rays payroll is $64M. Obviously, there isn't a proportional correlation between amount of payroll and ability to field a championship. It isn't how much you spend, it's how well you spend it.


Since the earliest 2000's, I've said the same thing. Cashman knows how to build a team to win in the regular season. He is clueless when it comes to building teams that can win in the post season. Cashman loves the homerun. Think back to early in this season when we encountered the first wave of injuries. All of a sudden we saw LeMahieu, Urshela, Frazier, Judge and Gleyber lashing the ball to all parts of the field. Judge and Gleyber hit a combined 10 HRs in the month of April, but the patience and discipline at the plate was paying dividends. They were working deep into counts. They were not trying to do too much, hitting the ball where it was thrown, manufacturing runs by getting runners on base and having great at-bats with men in scoring position.


For some inexplicable reason, this Yankees offense in this ALCS has gotten completely away from the things that they did to win 103 games. I don't think we can truly know anymore whether this is because of a directive from Brian Cashman or from Aaron Boone, but someone has made some terrible decisions that have not given the team its maximum chances to win. None of the blame falls on the Yankees pitching. For the most part (ie - except Ottavino), the Yankees pitching has done its job. The Yankees offense has been dreadful, swinging at the first pitch, swinging at pitches well out of the zone. Every bad habit that these Yankees hitters shook off this year has suddenly come back in full force in this ALCS. Boone and some of his coaches have had an absolutely horrendous approach to this ALCS. Is Boone under orders from Cashman? Who knows, but the Yankees have blown many huge opportunities in this ALCS, and none of it is the fault of the pitching staff or owner Hal Steinbrenner.





Or...



This team has hit a lot of home runs all year long but also did a lot of other things well.  They've stopped doing those other things well when going up against two of the best pitchers in the sport.



I know you've been beating the "not built for the playoffs" drum for years, but its always been ridiculous.  The Astros hit a lot of home runs too.  Guess what won them games 2 and 3?  A pair of solo shots in each game.  




Yeah it's pretty funny and not sure why this poster doesn't mention that Houston's HR's have made the difference in the last 2 games. Houston is much better at not strinking out but both teams score tons of runs via the HR. They were 3rd in the majors in HR's. Houston would not be where they are without being a good HR hitting team


I think this is the same guy that said the game 2 loss was all on Boone with his pitching moves, now he is saying that you can't blame the Yankee pitching, which is it ?


Just heard Boone with Francesa and Mike asked him about the approach against Verlander and Cole and he said the approach was to be aggressive against both because both guys get ahead in the count and then are next to impossible to hit. I think it was the right approach against Cole. He didn't have his best stuff early and they jumped on him. The problem was leaving 9 guys on base in the first few innings and not coming up with the big hit. They did get 5 walks off of Cole. 


I love this line " For some inexplicable reason, this Yankees offense in this ALCS has gotten completely away from the things that they did to win 103 games" I don't know maybe facing the 2 best pitchers in the AL have something to do with it ? No one seemed to be complaining about the Yanks team approach after game 1.







I don't see much logic put forth in either reply. "Well, they won game 1" is not a logical counter-argument to what I posted. I will expand my comments further because perhaps I wasn't clear. Cashman has a long history of building terrific regular season teams while also being blind when it comes to building a team that can win in the post season. Cashman for years ignored the bullpen, and you cannot win in the post season without a a strong bullpen. Cashman for years ignored AVG hitters while falling in love with the HR. You cannot win in the post season without hitters who encompass great bat control. Now, two people replied to that with "But the Astros scored their runs on HRs" as a way to refute my comment. Contact hitters also hit HRs, and I neither said nor implied otherwise. Josh Reddick hit one of those HRs for the Astros. He hit to a .275 AVG with 14 HRs - my point exactly. The other Astros HRs were hit by Correa who hit to a .280 AVG and .358 OBP, Springer who is having an MVP-type season hitting to a .292 AVG and .383 OBP, and Altuve who hit to a .298 AVG and .353 OBP. These are hitters not only with exceptional bat control but also a strong command of the strike zone. You might say these are contact hitters who also hit for power.


There are power hitters who also hit for AVG, there are power hitters who cannot hit for AVG, and there are power hitters who cannot hit for neither AVG nor OBP. Cashman, in the 2000's, fell in love with power hitters who could not hit for AVG nor OBP. Residues of that failed Cashman's philosophy existed right up until the last off-season when he made a point to rectify the obvious long-standing flaw in the Yankees offense by going after contact hitters that have in their careers displayed good bat control and good command of the strike zone. You saw the benefits in April, May, and June when the Yankees were manufacturing runs by making contact and putting the ball in play rather than looking to hit every pitch 450 feet. Great. That is the kind of offense that produces runs in the post season.


The post season. It is no surprise to anyone that in the post season you will face the most elite starting pitchers. It is not a secret. Therefore, you can design your offense to win games against the ordinary teams of the regular season while also being designed to win in the post season. This 2019 Yankees offense was designed to do just that. I've gone a long way to explain that Cashman built this offense to produce in the post season -- and someone has changed the approach now that this offense is in the post season. Who? Boone? Doubtful. Cashman? Perhaps. Cashman has long professed that you can stack the lineup with hairy monsters who might run into one. This Yankee lineup is best when it plays to its strengths - control of the strike zone. I understand that there is a school of thought that says you need to be aggressive against the most elite pitchers because then they control the at bat when they get ahead. Fine. There is also a school of thought that says being aggressive not only helps the elite pitcher gets ahead but also helps the economy of his pitch count, and you play the long game and grind out at bats, take pitches, try to foul pitches off, until the later innings when perhaps the pitcher starts to fatigue a bit and after you have now seen two at-bats worth of all the pitches in his repertoire. Who is responsible for the change in approach in this ALCS?


Who is responsible for batting Gardner third? It's the post season. Much different than the regular season. In the post season, everything is magnified including pressure. You have to make an ally of pressure. You must construct your lineup with the intent to maximize pressure on the pitcher. You must bunch up your best hitters at the top of the lineup and split up your power hitters in the middle. In Game 2, the Yankees did just that. LeMahieu, Judge, and Torres to start, followed by Encarnacion and Sanchez split up by Gardner. Good. The offense did what they could, they were grinding out at-bats. The loss fell on tactical errors made by Boone especially, and Nevin in part. But in Game 3, the first mistake was the terrible lineup order. The second mistake was in not immediately adjusting to the moment. It was plainly obvious from the first inning that Cole was not at his best. If there was an order given to the Yankee lineup prior to the game to be very aggressive, that order needed to be rescinded the moment it became clear that Cole was not sharp. I talk about this all year, every year - players and teams that exhibit an ability to correctly identify issues and successfully make rapid adjustments are teams that will do well in the big moments of the season. The Yankees lineup did not make any adjustments in Game 3.


And please, don't reply with "It's Cole and Verlander" like you already have. Take any post season in the past or in the future. There will inevitably be elite pitchers in that post season. We already know this. That doesn't mean there is no way to beat such pitchers. You need everyone to be on the same page and to show the same level of discipline, because there is no room for error. The Yankees have a team that can beat Cole and Verlander but two things went wrong in games where there is no room for error - Boone was outmanaged and outmaneuvered in Game 2, and the Yankees offense betrayed the philosophy and discipline in Game 3 that has served them so well all season.


And please, don't reply with "hindsight is 20/20", because you don't know how I was screaming at my TV the moment these things were happening. Just because you read my comments after the game doesn't mean my opinions weren't formulated in the moment. Do you just sit back and never have an opinion on something that happens the moment it happens in a baseball game? Or do you just blindly wave the pom-poms regardless of what your eyes see? I'm long passed those days. It doesn't mean I don't want the Yankees to win. I'm much more of a realist who knows that my pom-pom waving has no bearing on the outcome of the game. No matter how much you profess to "believe" the Yankees can win and no matter how often you express "positive thoughts", none of that has any effect on the game. The "Believing in my team means I'm a bigger fan than you" is just silly adolescent nonsense. I am more interested in the stewardship of the team I love than most people. I love baseball and Yankees baseball in particular. As a lifelong and passionate fan, I believe this team belongs more to me than it does to Boone, Cashman, and Steinbrenner. Fanatical thoughts, indeed, but I make keen observations on the way this franchise is handled. For the first season in many, many seasons, I believe that Cashman has assembled a team that can win in the post season. I do not believe that Boone has managed this team well in this post season.


One last thing - there was a response to my post that displayed a lack of comprehension. Yes, I said the Game 2 loss was on Boone's use of the bullpen, and yes I said Yankees pitching is not to blame. The two comments are not incompatible if you read what I wrote. The Yankees relievers did an excellent job. The Yankees are built to win in the post season versus elite starting pitching on the strength of their deep and formidable bullpen. In other words, the bullpen is designed to outlast the innings pitched by the opposing elite pitcher and their bullpen. In other words, Boone needs to be frugal and prudent with the use of his relievers in a close or tied game to outlast the opponent. Boone hurried his way through his relievers and ended up having to go to Loaisiga and Happ in the 10th inning - not the 12th or the 14th but the 10th. Boone made the choice to pull Paxton in the 3rd inning. OK, but that meant he needed to make exquisite use of his bullpen. The Yankees had a lead in the 4th inning with Chad Green. Green got one out in the 5th when the top of the Astros order was due up. Green was throwing darts. Why pull him? Let Green, who looked untouchable, go up against the best part of the Astros lineup. Why pull him? Why then insert Ottavino who has struggled for last six weeks? The game was tied in the 5th and remained tied until the 11th. Boone needed to play the long game, especially once Verlander was removed in the 7th inning. Boone was playing the game as though he was hoping to get a lead by the 9th inning or bust. Why? Boone already had the lead in the 4th. Let Green get you through the 5th. Bring in Kahnle for the 6th and 7th. Bring in Britton for the 8th and Chapman for the 9th. But Boone pulls Green who was on fire and brings in ice cold Ottavino. Now the game is tied. Why not let your quality relievers stay in the game until they stop throwing quality pitches just in case the game turns into a long and drawn out classic extra inning game? Boone's decisions did not gave his team the best chance to win the game. He managed like he was scared to lose instead of managing with a coolness and calm confidence to win.

Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Jump Menu:
 
Network Forums Yankees So glad Steinbrenner is "commited to winning"
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum