Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 5 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next
Sign Gerrit Cole
2 months ago  ::  Oct 20, 2019 - 4:08PM #41
qwik3457
Posts: 11,935

Oct 20, 2019 -- 1:25PM, Paterson wrote:


[



I hear you qwik ... but Hal won't go for the kind of money Cole is going to want.




I know, Mo. Just felt I had to say that. But they won't listen; they won't deviate from their plans. And maybe they're right. But it's hard watching this Yankee team fritter away year after year. This group is running out of time, and the best replacement player in the system is 16 years old, and at least 4 years away.




Maybe it is time to sell ?




MLB ain't forcing out the Wilpons, so there's no way they'll force out the Steinbrenners. Beyond that, I don't see how to make them sell. Boycotting, as others have suggested, makes the team less desirable to buy, which reduces the price, which reduces the likelihood of them selling.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
2 months ago  ::  Oct 20, 2019 - 4:12PM #42
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 77,711

Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:08PM, qwik3457 wrote:


Oct 20, 2019 -- 1:25PM, Paterson wrote:


[



I hear you qwik ... but Hal won't go for the kind of money Cole is going to want.




I know, Mo. Just felt I had to say that. But they won't listen; they won't deviate from their plans. And maybe they're right. But it's hard watching this Yankee team fritter away year after year. This group is running out of time, and the best replacement player in the system is 16 years old, and at least 4 years away.




Maybe it is time to sell ?




MLB ain't forcing out the Wilpons, so there's no way they'll force out the Steinbrenners. Beyond that, I don't see how to make them sell. Boycotting, as others have suggested, makes the team less desirable to buy, which reduces the price, which reduces the likelihood of them selling.




Well I don't see where Hal is doing himself any favors ... the reason why the Yankees are so expensive is because of the championships they have won ... if he keeps going cheap there will not be championshiips and the price of the club will start to decline ... being they are the Yankees won't be much of a decline, but it's not a selling point.

2 months ago  ::  Oct 20, 2019 - 4:13PM #43
Rob
Posts: 390

Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:08PM, qwik3457 wrote:


Oct 20, 2019 -- 1:25PM, Paterson wrote:


[



I hear you qwik ... but Hal won't go for the kind of money Cole is going to want.




I know, Mo. Just felt I had to say that. But they won't listen; they won't deviate from their plans. And maybe they're right. But it's hard watching this Yankee team fritter away year after year. This group is running out of time, and the best replacement player in the system is 16 years old, and at least 4 years away.




Maybe it is time to sell ?




MLB ain't forcing out the Wilpons, so there's no way they'll force out the Steinbrenners. Beyond that, I don't see how to make them sell. Boycotting, as others have suggested, makes the team less desirable to buy, which reduces the price, which reduces the likelihood of them selling.




I wondered if "Maybe it is time to sell ?" was suggesting players, not the Steinbrenners selling the team.

2 months ago  ::  Oct 20, 2019 - 4:16PM #44
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 77,711

Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:13PM, Rob wrote:


Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:08PM, qwik3457 wrote:


Oct 20, 2019 -- 1:25PM, Paterson wrote:


[



I hear you qwik ... but Hal won't go for the kind of money Cole is going to want.




I know, Mo. Just felt I had to say that. But they won't listen; they won't deviate from their plans. And maybe they're right. But it's hard watching this Yankee team fritter away year after year. This group is running out of time, and the best replacement player in the system is 16 years old, and at least 4 years away.




Maybe it is time to sell ?




MLB ain't forcing out the Wilpons, so there's no way they'll force out the Steinbrenners. Beyond that, I don't see how to make them sell. Boycotting, as others have suggested, makes the team less desirable to buy, which reduces the price, which reduces the likelihood of them selling.




I wondered if "Maybe it is time to sell ?" was suggesting players, not the Steinbrenners selling the team.




I think it meant selling the team.

2 months ago  ::  Oct 20, 2019 - 4:19PM #45
qwik3457
Posts: 11,935

Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:13PM, Rob wrote:


I wondered if "Maybe it is time to sell ?" was suggesting players, not the Steinbrenners selling the team.




I don't think he meant the players. If I'm reading him correctly, I think Paterson thinks this team is close to a title, and should makes moves to get there, not back off.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
2 months ago  ::  Oct 20, 2019 - 4:27PM #46
chl45
Posts: 1,245

Hal is gun shy about big money contracts considering some of the waste he has seen from Igawa to Stanton and the ones like Ellsbury in between. The last Arod contract wasn't exactly a smart move either and it got Hank banished to the horse farm. Literally. He saw the same Post Season we di but he won't make a knee jerk decision based on it. He is not his Dad. What he will do is analyze Cole, and if he thinks he will get value for the $ he will spend it, it is really that simple. I can't say I blame him one bit. If Cole is to far over the fair market value for a pitcher he will pass. I still say Coles market will be set by him, and him alone, or his agent, AFTER they see what he does in the WS. If he is unhittable the price goes up. If not he will get Verlander Money or maybe a little more.


Speaking of value and money, and value I would love to hear why the Trout lovers and Bregman lovers still think he deserves the MVP award more than DJ LeMahieu. The writers that vote are lunkheads until they define valuable to mean most value to a winning team!!! Bregman did nothing in the Post Season against the Yankees, look what DJ did. To me he is the MVP after that performance in the PS especially  against the Astro's. He was the best player on the field on both sides, including over that super roidheaded midget!

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
2 months ago  ::  Oct 20, 2019 - 5:47PM #47
luvdayanks
Posts: 27,262

Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:27PM, chl45 wrote:


Hal is gun shy about big money contracts considering some of the waste he has seen from Igawa to Stanton and the ones like Ellsbury in between. The last Arod contract wasn't exactly a smart move either and it got Hank banished to the horse farm. Literally. He saw the same Post Season we di but he won't make a knee jerk decision based on it. He is not his Dad. What he will do is analyze Cole, and if he thinks he will get value for the $ he will spend it, it is really that simple. I can't say I blame him one bit. If Cole is to far over the fair market value for a pitcher he will pass. I still say Coles market will be set by him, and him alone, or his agent, AFTER they see what he does in the WS. If he is unhittable the price goes up. If not he will get Verlander Money or maybe a little more.


Speaking of value and money, and value I would love to hear why the Trout lovers and Bregman lovers still think he deserves the MVP award more than DJ LeMahieu. The writers that vote are lunkheads until they define valuable to mean most value to a winning team!!! Bregman did nothing in the Post Season against the Yankees, look what DJ did. To me he is the MVP after that performance in the PS especially  against the Astro's. He was the best player on the field on both sides, including over that super roidheaded midget!



 
Post season  doesn't  count in MVP voting only regular  season

2 months ago  ::  Oct 20, 2019 - 6:00PM #48
Rob
Posts: 390

Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:16PM, GottaGoToMo wrote:


Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:13PM, Rob wrote:


Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:08PM, qwik3457 wrote:


Oct 20, 2019 -- 1:25PM, Paterson wrote:


[



I hear you qwik ... but Hal won't go for the kind of money Cole is going to want.




I know, Mo. Just felt I had to say that. But they won't listen; they won't deviate from their plans. And maybe they're right. But it's hard watching this Yankee team fritter away year after year. This group is running out of time, and the best replacement player in the system is 16 years old, and at least 4 years away.




Maybe it is time to sell ?




MLB ain't forcing out the Wilpons, so there's no way they'll force out the Steinbrenners. Beyond that, I don't see how to make them sell. Boycotting, as others have suggested, makes the team less desirable to buy, which reduces the price, which reduces the likelihood of them selling.




I wondered if "Maybe it is time to sell ?" was suggesting players, not the Steinbrenners selling the team.




I think it meant selling the team.




Yeh, right, the Yankees are a cash cow for the Steinbrenners and, I suspect, there would be serious tax consequences in selling.


So long as the Yankees continue to win 90-100 games, 3 million plus fans will pay to attend games, buy overpriced food, souvenirs and parking, continue to suscribe to YES, MLB TV etc.

2 months ago  ::  Oct 20, 2019 - 6:03PM #49
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 77,711

Oct 20, 2019 -- 6:00PM, Rob wrote:


Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:16PM, GottaGoToMo wrote:


Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:13PM, Rob wrote:


Oct 20, 2019 -- 4:08PM, qwik3457 wrote:


Oct 20, 2019 -- 1:25PM, Paterson wrote:


[



I hear you qwik ... but Hal won't go for the kind of money Cole is going to want.




I know, Mo. Just felt I had to say that. But they won't listen; they won't deviate from their plans. And maybe they're right. But it's hard watching this Yankee team fritter away year after year. This group is running out of time, and the best replacement player in the system is 16 years old, and at least 4 years away.




Maybe it is time to sell ?




MLB ain't forcing out the Wilpons, so there's no way they'll force out the Steinbrenners. Beyond that, I don't see how to make them sell. Boycotting, as others have suggested, makes the team less desirable to buy, which reduces the price, which reduces the likelihood of them selling.




I wondered if "Maybe it is time to sell ?" was suggesting players, not the Steinbrenners selling the team.




I think it meant selling the team.




Yeh, right, the Yankees are a cash cow for the Steinbrenners and, I suspect, there would be serious tax consequences in selling.


So long as the Yankees continue to win 90-100 games, 3 million plus fans will pay to attend games, buy overpriced food, souvenirs and parking, continue to suscribe to YES, MLB TV etc.




I didn't bring it up ... so don't come down on me.

2 months ago  ::  Oct 20, 2019 - 6:06PM #50
BoogiedownBx
Posts: 68

Oct 20, 2019 -- 12:42AM, qwik3457 wrote:


I don't care.


I don't care about Hal's budget.


I don't care about his payroll tax burden or his debt burden.


I don't care about the last half of the contract that's going to kill the team starting in about 2024. I know it will. I don't care.


I don't care that he might not be as effective in Yankee Stadium as in Minute Maid Park, that he might not be as effective because the Astros' team defense is better than the Yankees' team defense.


I don't care that his innings and age are starting to pile up and he becomes more likely to suffer a serious arm injury with each season that goes by. I understand all of this.


And I really, really, really don't care that 'they don't need Cole because they already have Paxton, Severino, Tanaka, Montgomery and Happ, and oh, boy, King is on the way, and Garcia is on the way and we have five guys in A-ball that throw 99'. That dog won't hunt.


=======================================


If they want to win a title with this group, they need one elite starter that can give them 200-220 innings a season. They can't win with this 5-8 elite relievers thing. It doesn't work. The team is just starting to age. Its window will close faster than they think. 


The need to get Cole to anchor the rotation. They need him to throw at the other team's aces. They need him to take heat off of Tanaka, Severino and Paxton. They need to get him to weaken the Astros.


The Astros aren't going anywhere. The Dodgers aren't going anywhere. The Rays are closing fast. There are other teams with great farm systems that are closing fast. If they want to win a title...sign Gerrit Cole. It might not be enough. It might not be sufficient, but it is necessary.


No excuses. No, oh he wants too much money. No, oh we were so close but the Angels wanted him more. No, oh we were willing to go 6 years, but not 7.


=======================================


Sign Gerrit Cole. That is all. 








Everything you just said Qwik, and then some. Cole is the difference between the Yankees set up correctly to win it all many of the next 5 years, and going home early in the playoffs, especially when you consider that Houston, Boston and Tampa Bay are going to be our main adversaries.

Page 5 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum