Network Forums Yankees Ex-Astros Player Says Carlos Beltran...
Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Ex-Astros Player Says Carlos Beltran 'Steamrolled' Opposition to Sign-Stealing
8 months ago  ::  Feb 11, 2020 - 7:46PM #1
laurenfrances
Posts: 39,045
Is Beltran's legacy in jeopardy?

bleacherreport.com/articles/2875824-ex-a...


Ex-Astros Player Says Carlos Beltran 'Steamrolled' Opposition to Sign-Stealing


Not only was Carlos Beltran considered a driving force behind the Houston Astros sign-stealing scandal, but former teammates also said he refused to change when confronted by Brian McCann.


"He disregarded it and steamrolled everybody," a member of the 2017 Astros said of Beltran's response to McCann's concerns, per Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic. "Where do you go if you're a young, impressionable player with the Astros and this guy says, 'We're doing this'? What do you do?"


Beltran was the only player named in the official MLB report on the investigation, which said he and a group of players first came up with the system to decode opposition signs.  


The 42-year-old was hired to manage the New York Mets this offseason, but the two sides parted ways after details emerged about his role in the scandal.


In 2018 and 2019, Beltran worked as a special adviser to general manager Brian Cashman with the New York Yankees, but his "overall impact was minimal" aside from helping with film review, according to Rosenthal and Drellich.


A Yankees official said when he asked Beltran about any alleged sign-stealing with the Astros, he told him it was "nothing no one else is doing."


McCann, who was reportedly not involved in the scandal, also had conversations in which he denied any cheating by the team.


Astros manager AJ Hinch was fired after MLB suspended him for a year, explaining in an interview earlier this month that he wishes he put an end to everything:



It seems that no one was able to stop Beltran and others from carrying on with the scheme, which included banging on trash cans from the dugout to tip off hitters

8 months ago  ::  Feb 12, 2020 - 10:02AM #2
Lola
Posts: 25,866

Beltran denied any involvement in the scheme???


Maybe he should start talking... and telling the truth for once.

8 months ago  ::  Feb 12, 2020 - 1:33PM #3
yank0428
Posts: 18,431

At least McCann tried. To those who think Beltran might have done it while on the the Yanks with the vets on those treams like CC and McCann I don't think they would have let it happen. Also CC would be a great actor to be so outraged by the Astros actions if it was going on with the Yanks. 


 Geez when is Manfred going to come down on the Sox? You would thionk he wouldn't want this going on during ST.To late now. 

8 months ago  ::  Feb 12, 2020 - 2:43PM #4
Lola
Posts: 25,866

Feb 12, 2020 -- 1:33PM, yank0428 wrote:


At least McCann tried. To those who think Beltran might have done it while on the the Yanks with the vets on those treams like CC and McCann I don't think they would have let it happen. Also CC would be a great actor to be so outraged by the Astros actions if it was going on with the Yanks. 


 Geez when is Manfred going to come down on the Sox? You would thionk he wouldn't want this going on during ST.To late now. 





It's starting to look like Manfred is trying to sweep this scandal under the carpet. It's making me more and more angry that these players are not being punished. The arrogance of them for cheating at this level is beyond me. Now that they've gotten away with it will only encourage more cheating. Shame on Manfred and MLB!

8 months ago  ::  Feb 12, 2020 - 2:48PM #5
yank0428
Posts: 18,431

Feb 12, 2020 -- 2:43PM, Lola wrote:


Feb 12, 2020 -- 1:33PM, yank0428 wrote:


At least McCann tried. To those who think Beltran might have done it while on the the Yanks with the vets on those treams like CC and McCann I don't think they would have let it happen. Also CC would be a great actor to be so outraged by the Astros actions if it was going on with the Yanks. 


 Geez when is Manfred going to come down on the Sox? You would thionk he wouldn't want this going on during ST.To late now. 





It's starting to look like Manfred is trying to sweep this scandal under the carpet. It's making me more and more angry that these players are not being punished. The arrogance of them for cheating at this level is beyond me. Now that they've gotten away with it will only encourage more cheating. Shame on Manfred and MLB!




Yea the precedent has been set. Immunity for cheating. 


 He should have started it by stating to the players the penalty will be much hasher if I find out you were lying.

8 months ago  ::  Feb 12, 2020 - 3:04PM #6
115by7and9in61
Posts: 7,016

how about this...how about the players association grow some big ones and realize it will be up to them to clean up their own mess...how about they decide to punish the Houston Astros...the team...the brand...it has no immunity...how about they ban the Houston Astros from the play offs...maybe for forever...either that or dissolve the organization and move to Montreal...I'm being serious

"...let it be known that as of this date in Major League Baseball history the one, truly honest single season home run record...61 in '61..."
8 months ago  ::  Feb 12, 2020 - 3:24PM #7
Lola
Posts: 25,866

How about they start by getting rid of Manfred... I'm not kidding.

8 months ago  ::  Feb 12, 2020 - 7:44PM #8
Jon
Posts: 1,833

I miss McCann as a Yankee.

8 months ago  ::  Feb 12, 2020 - 7:44PM #9
Jon
Posts: 1,833

As a 40-year-old in his final big-league season, Beltran started the cheating in 2017 after reportedly telling teammates that they were “behind the times” for sign stealing.


Behind the times, huh?


That’s very interesting because before Beltran joined the Astros in 2017 he spent most of the three previous seasons playing for the Yankees. Does this mean Beltran was cheating while he was with the Yankees, too?

8 months ago  ::  Feb 12, 2020 - 11:40PM #10
davis2
Posts: 18,170

Feb 12, 2020 -- 3:24PM, Lola wrote:


How about they start by getting rid of Manfred... I'm not kidding.



He's an embarassment to his hometown, Rome,NY!

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Jump Menu:
 
Network Forums Yankees Ex-Astros Player Says Carlos Beltran...
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum