Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Yankees, Brett Gardner Agree To Deal
2 months ago  ::  Feb 19, 2021 - 6:28PM #1
laurenfrances
Posts: 40,409

Yankees, Brett Gardner Agree To Deal



5:11pm: It’s a one-year pact with player and team options for 2022, according to Heyman. Gardner, a Meister Sports Management client, will earn a $4MM guarantee. He could make around $11MM if the Yankees pick up the option, Heyman adds.



5:06pm: The Yankees have agreed to re-sign Gardner, pending a physical, per Ken Davidoff of the New York Post.


2 months ago  ::  Feb 19, 2021 - 7:18PM #2
chl45
Posts: 2,970

I figured it was just a matter of time. With Stanton, Judge and Hicks the outfield Mash Unit,  it makes sense to carry Gardner. I mean Frazier in left leaves the Dh, RF and CF open for Brett and due to the constant IL list the three amigo's are on, 1 and two at a time, between resting their fragil butts and IL stints, I bet anything they will have Brett playing 5 or 6 days a week.


Bruce would have to go ape during ST to win a spot on the team IMO and Brett and his called strike three's, and his "always take first pitch aproach"  will have to hit under .100 during ST to be an actual 4 million dollar a year bench player and that ain't happening. You don't ride the pine when Hal pays you 4 mil a year.  He is here to play. Count on it. The one thing about Brett is he is always in the game and hardly ever on the IL so he has a job basically.

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
2 months ago  ::  Feb 19, 2021 - 7:23PM #3
SSBob
Posts: 7,267

Feb 19, 2021 -- 7:18PM, chl45 wrote:


I mean Frazier in left leaves the Dh, RF and CF open for Brett... 




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Gardner cannot play RF.

2 months ago  ::  Feb 19, 2021 - 7:37PM #4
NY23
Posts: 13,817
2 months ago  ::  Feb 19, 2021 - 7:56PM #5
jimwest
Posts: 3,395

Feb 19, 2021 -- 7:18PM, chl45 wrote:


I figured it was just a matter of time. With Stanton, Judge and Hicks the outfield Mash Unit,  it makes sense to carry Gardner. I mean Frazier in left leaves the Dh, RF and CF open for Brett and due to the constant IL list the three amigo's are on, 1 and two at a time, between resting their fragil butts and IL stints, I bet anything they will have Brett playing 5 or 6 days a week.


Bruce would have to go ape during ST to win a spot on the team IMO and Brett and his called strike three's, and his "always take first pitch aproach"  will have to hit under .100 during ST to be an actual 4 million dollar a year bench player and that ain't happening. You don't ride the pine when Hal pays you 4 mil a year.  He is here to play. Count on it. The one thing about Brett is he is always in the game and hardly ever on the IL so he has a job basically.




Surprised the Yankees are giving him $4m this year. With his buyout, he banked $6.5M, not bad for a guy who will be 38 this summer, who hit .223 last year. Gardner will in fact be the #4 OFer, as a guy pulling down $4m is not going to be riding the bench that much. He will also get some starts in CF, and occasionally in LF I'm sure.


If they had every intention of bringing him back, which I believe they ultimately did, what was the point of getting Allen and Bruce. In a pinch, Stanton can still play some OF, so with Judge, Hicks, Frazier, Stanton, Tauchman and now Gardner, they have 6 outfielders. Even with injuries, they don't need 8 guys, although Bruce can play 1B as well. 

2 months ago  ::  Feb 19, 2021 - 8:08PM #6
chl45
Posts: 2,970

With Brett here Gardner can fill in on rest days for Judge also. He can't, or at least they won't want him in RF, if Judge is out sdo they will move Frazier to RF for Judge and let Gardner take over in Left so basically Gardner here means all three Fields are covered no matter who goes down out there. ALso Tauchman is a really good defender and he can run. Although the 60- game season was a joke and the numbers basically are a mess in all areas but Tauchman led the team in Stolen Baes with 6 I believe so he can run, and play all three positions, so if his bat comes around Bruce and Allen are left out on the clothes line, out to dry IMO. 

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
2 months ago  ::  Feb 19, 2021 - 9:13PM #7
JEGnj
Posts: 625

Why could they not just moved on without him? They have not won with him since 2009 and he is now a .200 hitter with diminshed skills. He ****es and moans every time he K's or pops out. He plays most flys on a hop. It was time to give his spot to someone new.

2 months ago  ::  Feb 19, 2021 - 10:43PM #8
chl45
Posts: 2,970

Feb 19, 2021 -- 9:13PM, JEGnj wrote:


Why could they not just moved on without him? They have not won with him since 2009 and he is now a .200 hitter with diminshed skills. He ****es and moans every time he K's or pops out. He plays most flys on a hop. It was time to give his spot to someone new.




A typical Gardner at bat is, take the first pitch, strike one, foul off three or four pitches, strike two, then comes the famous Gardner  stand like a Statue on a called strike three. Get mad at the umpire, wave his arm, give the dirty look and storm back to the dugout and put on his act for the team mates. Some times he has a 12 or 14 pitch at bat, all foul balls, and then take strike three. 4 million because he can play the outfield. So can Tauchman and he plays all 3 and he can steal bases all for 12 dollars a season. lol.... Like I said if his bat comes around why do we have Gardner again?

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
2 months ago  ::  Feb 19, 2021 - 11:15PM #9
Paterson
Posts: 6,685

Feb 19, 2021 -- 10:43PM, chl45 wrote:


Feb 19, 2021 -- 9:13PM, JEGnj wrote:


Why could they not just moved on without him? They have not won with him since 2009 and he is now a .200 hitter with diminshed skills. He ****es and moans every time he K's or pops out. He plays most flys on a hop. It was time to give his spot to someone new.




A typical Gardner at bat is, take the first pitch, strike one, foul off three or four pitches, strike two, then comes the famous Gardner  stand like a Statue on a called strike three. Get mad at the umpire, wave his arm, give the dirty look and storm back to the dugout and put on his act for the team mates. Some times he has a 12 or 14 pitch at bat, all foul balls, and then take strike three. 4 million because he can play the outfield. So can Tauchman and he plays all 3 and he can steal bases all for 12 dollars a season. lol.... Like I said if his bat comes around why do we have Gardner again?




   In 2019 all of 9 major league pitchers averaged 100 + pitches per appearance.  And so a guy who has the long at bats as does Gardner is valuable. If you had a lineup of 9 Brett Gardners, you'd wear out quality starters in 5 innings or fewer.     

2 months ago  ::  Feb 20, 2021 - 9:44AM #10
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 81,579

Happy for Gardner ... he didn't want to retire that way ... with no fans in the stands.

Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum