I generally like Brian Cashman. He is bright, he appears to still hear the voice of George Steinbreener in his sleep, and he seems to be respected and trusted among baseball executives in MLB. All important. With that said I still expect him to upgrade the Yankees in 2017 despite the fiscal constraints and relative conservatism of Hal Steinbrenner (yawn!). The younger guys have injected some sorely missing energy--Sanchez is a stud, Judge (when not striking out 50% of the time--ouch!!) can hit a ball a mile and is fun watching, Severino looks explosive out the bullpen, and Mason Williams looks like he can hit for average ( a Yankee who can hit for average?? really??). All good. But there are some major issues which must be addressed next year. 1) The Yankees must compete in a division with three teams clearly better than them, all with explosive offenses (the Yankees have a mediocre offense at best) 2) Tanaka is the only starting pitcher who is consistent and reliable 3) the bullpen went from being a strong point to now an unpredictable lot (Betances is not as comfortable closing ---Clippard is a nice but hitable later ininng pitcher now--and Warren is completley overrated). With that in mind here are 5 things I want to see happen this off season:
1) An outfield of Gardner, Ellsbury, Judge, and Hicks, and Williams just does not generate enoughoffense, especially if Judge continues the Steve Balboni-ness we saw. We need a big relaible bat. Move Gardner and a prospect and open a spot for a free agent or trade for an rbi hitter. Please.
2) Counting on Gred Bird and Austin Tyler is risky. Use Tyler as all purpose backup and secure a veteran first basemen backup to replace Texeira--i.e. Loney, or Butler just in case Bird falters.
3) Resign Chapman. He will be getting offers from many teams, including the Cubs, Giants, and possibly Dodgers--overpay for him--4 years at 55 -60 million. Stop undervaluing closers!! Not everyone can do it consistently--i.e Betances
4) Trade some prospects for a quality starter--get one who can eat up innings--i.e. Ervin Santana.,. If desparate sign R.A. Dickey--I know he is coming off a subpar year but he is unpredictable--he's a knuckleballer--maybe he bounces back--can't predict the actions of a pitcher like that. He also played in NY, played in the AL east, and is a former Cy Young winner!-- and he won't have an arm injury throwing that junk! One year 8 milliono( only if they can't get someone else--Ervin Santana, Gio Gonzalez..)
5) Let's start chanting "We Want George!!!" at games. Hal is too boring for me--an accountant, and a pilot who admits to getting excited going over his flight checklist before he takes off!! SMH. We need to fight the cold, wallpaper public persona that Hal represents. It makes me ill just thinking of it. Please Hal at least make an offer for Cepedes or Encarnacion just so that George can rest in peace. And me too.