Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Yankees bench and dh
9 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2013 - 5:06PM #21
AJPP
Posts: 2,651

Jan 15, 2013 -- 2:41PM, Paterson wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 2:03PM, Lola wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 1:07PM, grudz wrote:


I don't get the love affair with Brett Gardner on these boards.  I certainly don't understand the profound faith everyone seems to have in him.  He's always hurt.  He has no power.  He's unproductive, given the position he plays.  I think he lacks certain fundamental skills, specifically a passable major league baseball swing.  He's a redundancy with Ichiro.  He's very streaky.


I seriously think his injury HELPED the Yankees in the regular season last year (Joel Sherman argued the same thing).  I grant you, they missed his "small ball" talents at times, and the reliance on the long ball did produce a limited, one-dimensional offense in the postseason.  But I'd still like to see him traded and replaced with someone whose talents are more multi-dimensional.




Maybe Ichiro can teach Gardner how to slap  the ball and get on base.... then he can teach him how to steal a base.




   But the fact is that Gardner had a better obp than Ichiro for the last few years. I hope Suzuki stays energized...but it is hard to out run Father Time! 



Gardner didn't play all 2012.  He averages 90/100 strike outs per year, no power and will never get 200 hits in a season as Ichiro did many times. By the way I would say Gardner is 30 years old, doesn't have any BB instinct on how to steal.  No power, low BA average .  The only reason the Yankees keep him is because he is  cheap and the  team under the jeryboys, Hal and Hank, want to save as much $$ as possible.

9 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2013 - 6:04PM #22
LiferYank
Posts: 6,728

Jan 15, 2013 -- 2:03PM, Lola wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 1:07PM, grudz wrote:


I don't get the love affair with Brett Gardner on these boards.  I certainly don't understand the profound faith everyone seems to have in him.  He's always hurt.  He has no power.  He's unproductive, given the position he plays.  I think he lacks certain fundamental skills, specifically a passable major league baseball swing.  He's a redundancy with Ichiro.  He's very streaky.


I seriously think his injury HELPED the Yankees in the regular season last year (Joel Sherman argued the same thing).  I grant you, they missed his "small ball" talents at times, and the reliance on the long ball did produce a limited, one-dimensional offense in the postseason.  But I'd still like to see him traded and replaced with someone whose talents are more multi-dimensional.




Maybe Ichiro can teach Gardner how to slap  the ball and get on base.... then he can teach him how to steal a base.





Yes because someone who got over 90 steals in 2 years doesnt know how to steal a base.

9 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2013 - 6:17PM #23
newinn
Posts: 38,422

Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:04PM, LiferYank wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 2:03PM, Lola wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 1:07PM, grudz wrote:


I don't get the love affair with Brett Gardner on these boards.  I certainly don't understand the profound faith everyone seems to have in him.  He's always hurt.  He has no power.  He's unproductive, given the position he plays.  I think he lacks certain fundamental skills, specifically a passable major league baseball swing.  He's a redundancy with Ichiro.  He's very streaky.


I seriously think his injury HELPED the Yankees in the regular season last year (Joel Sherman argued the same thing).  I grant you, they missed his "small ball" talents at times, and the reliance on the long ball did produce a limited, one-dimensional offense in the postseason.  But I'd still like to see him traded and replaced with someone whose talents are more multi-dimensional.




Maybe Ichiro can teach Gardner how to slap  the ball and get on base.... then he can teach him how to steal a base.





Yes because someone who got over 90 steals in 2 years doesnt know how to steal a base.





90 steals with a high steal % and he doesn't know how to steal. He doesn't always go early enough in the count but when people say he can't steal, I have no idea what they're watching

9 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2013 - 6:31PM #24
LiferYank
Posts: 6,728

Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:17PM, newinn wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:04PM, LiferYank wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 2:03PM, Lola wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 1:07PM, grudz wrote:


I don't get the love affair with Brett Gardner on these boards.  I certainly don't understand the profound faith everyone seems to have in him.  He's always hurt.  He has no power.  He's unproductive, given the position he plays.  I think he lacks certain fundamental skills, specifically a passable major league baseball swing.  He's a redundancy with Ichiro.  He's very streaky.


I seriously think his injury HELPED the Yankees in the regular season last year (Joel Sherman argued the same thing).  I grant you, they missed his "small ball" talents at times, and the reliance on the long ball did produce a limited, one-dimensional offense in the postseason.  But I'd still like to see him traded and replaced with someone whose talents are more multi-dimensional.




Maybe Ichiro can teach Gardner how to slap  the ball and get on base.... then he can teach him how to steal a base.





Yes because someone who got over 90 steals in 2 years doesnt know how to steal a base.





90 steals with a high steal % and he doesn't know how to steal. He doesn't always go early enough in the count but when people say he can't steal, I have no idea what they're watching





For what ever reason many Yankee fans love some Yankees and the rest of the team they do nothing but try to find faults with factual or not.

9 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2013 - 10:23PM #25
Yankees
Posts: 6,807

Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:31PM, LiferYank wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:17PM, newinn wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:04PM, LiferYank wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 2:03PM, Lola wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 1:07PM, grudz wrote:


I don't get the love affair with Brett Gardner on these boards.  I certainly don't understand the profound faith everyone seems to have in him.  He's always hurt.  He has no power.  He's unproductive, given the position he plays.  I think he lacks certain fundamental skills, specifically a passable major league baseball swing.  He's a redundancy with Ichiro.  He's very streaky.


I seriously think his injury HELPED the Yankees in the regular season last year (Joel Sherman argued the same thing).  I grant you, they missed his "small ball" talents at times, and the reliance on the long ball did produce a limited, one-dimensional offense in the postseason.  But I'd still like to see him traded and replaced with someone whose talents are more multi-dimensional.




Maybe Ichiro can teach Gardner how to slap  the ball and get on base.... then he can teach him how to steal a base.





Yes because someone who got over 90 steals in 2 years doesnt know how to steal a base.





90 steals with a high steal % and he doesn't know how to steal. He doesn't always go early enough in the count but when people say he can't steal, I have no idea what they're watching





For what ever reason many Yankee fans love some Yankees and the rest of the team they do nothing but try to find faults with factual or not.





Gardner started to grow alot on me in 2011, he started off horribly slow and I just had about enough of him but then it seemed like he turned into a completely different player.  He was more aggressive and he didn't have that deer in the headlights look about him.  I wouldn't necessarily say he's injury prone, he got injured last year and imo they just tried too hard to rush things and it always backfired.  Here's hoping that Brett comes back in 2013 strong and healthy.

Tonberry Pictures, Images and Photos
9 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2013 - 12:33AM #26
doubleplay643
Posts: 6,115

Jan 15, 2013 -- 10:23PM, Yankees wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:31PM, LiferYank wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:17PM, newinn wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:04PM, LiferYank wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 2:03PM, Lola wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 1:07PM, grudz wrote:


I don't get the love affair with Brett Gardner on these boards.  I certainly don't understand the profound faith everyone seems to have in him.  He's always hurt.  He has no power.  He's unproductive, given the position he plays.  I think he lacks certain fundamental skills, specifically a passable major league baseball swing.  He's a redundancy with Ichiro.  He's very streaky.


I seriously think his injury HELPED the Yankees in the regular season last year (Joel Sherman argued the same thing).  I grant you, they missed his "small ball" talents at times, and the reliance on the long ball did produce a limited, one-dimensional offense in the postseason.  But I'd still like to see him traded and replaced with someone whose talents are more multi-dimensional.




Maybe Ichiro can teach Gardner how to slap  the ball and get on base.... then he can teach him how to steal a base.





Yes because someone who got over 90 steals in 2 years doesnt know how to steal a base.





90 steals with a high steal % and he doesn't know how to steal. He doesn't always go early enough in the count but when people say he can't steal, I have no idea what they're watching





For what ever reason many Yankee fans love some Yankees and the rest of the team they do nothing but try to find faults with factual or not.





Gardner started to grow alot on me in 2011, he started off horribly slow and I just had about enough of him but then it seemed like he turned into a completely different player.  He was more aggressive and he didn't have that deer in the headlights look about him.  I wouldn't necessarily say he's injury prone, he got injured last year and imo they just tried too hard to rush things and it always backfired.  Here's hoping that Brett comes back in 2013 strong and healthy.




Gardner still has a ways to go, I'd still like to see a full year of Gardner. He might be one of those players that gets it later on in his career, hopefully that's in 2013. 

9 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2013 - 9:19AM #27
61in61
Posts: 26,516

Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:17PM, newinn wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:04PM, LiferYank wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 2:03PM, Lola wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 1:07PM, grudz wrote:


I don't get the love affair with Brett Gardner on these boards.  I certainly don't understand the profound faith everyone seems to have in him.  He's always hurt.  He has no power.  He's unproductive, given the position he plays.  I think he lacks certain fundamental skills, specifically a passable major league baseball swing.  He's a redundancy with Ichiro.  He's very streaky.


I seriously think his injury HELPED the Yankees in the regular season last year (Joel Sherman argued the same thing).  I grant you, they missed his "small ball" talents at times, and the reliance on the long ball did produce a limited, one-dimensional offense in the postseason.  But I'd still like to see him traded and replaced with someone whose talents are more multi-dimensional.




Maybe Ichiro can teach Gardner how to slap  the ball and get on base.... then he can teach him how to steal a base.





Yes because someone who got over 90 steals in 2 years doesnt know how to steal a base.





90 steals with a high steal % and he doesn't know how to steal. He doesn't always go early enough in the count but when people say he can't steal, I have no idea what they're watching




The problem I have is that those steals aren't terribly exciting. How many of those steals ignite rallies late in the game? How many times has Gardner stolen a base and then scored on a homerun, or was stranded on 2B? Mickey Rivers was fun to watch, Gardner is not.

9 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2013 - 9:35AM #28
LiferYank
Posts: 6,728

Jan 16, 2013 -- 9:19AM, 61in61 wrote:

Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:17PM, newinn wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 6:04PM, LiferYank wrote:


Jan 15, 2013 -- 2:03PM, Lola wrote:


Jan 11, 2013 -- 1:07PM, grudz wrote:


I don't get the love affair with Brett Gardner on these boards.  I certainly don't understand the profound faith everyone seems to have in him.  He's always hurt.  He has no power.  He's unproductive, given the position he plays.  I think he lacks certain fundamental skills, specifically a passable major league baseball swing.  He's a redundancy with Ichiro.  He's very streaky.


I seriously think his injury HELPED the Yankees in the regular season last year (Joel Sherman argued the same thing).  I grant you, they missed his "small ball" talents at times, and the reliance on the long ball did produce a limited, one-dimensional offense in the postseason.  But I'd still like to see him traded and replaced with someone whose talents are more multi-dimensional.




Maybe Ichiro can teach Gardner how to slap  the ball and get on base.... then he can teach him how to steal a base.





Yes because someone who got over 90 steals in 2 years doesnt know how to steal a base.





90 steals with a high steal % and he doesn't know how to steal. He doesn't always go early enough in the count but when people say he can't steal, I have no idea what they're watching




The problem I have is that those steals aren't terribly exciting. How many of those steals ignite rallies late in the game? How many times has Gardner stolen a base and then scored on a homerun, or was stranded on 2B? Mickey Rivers was fun to watch, Gardner is not.







Just go to his close and late stats for the last 3-4 years to see when his steals are...

If he was stranded on 2b how is that his issue? Unless you expect him to steal 3rd and home to be "exciting".

Yankee fans dislike of Gardner is damn confusing. Some claim he sucks and now you say he isnt "exciting" enough?

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum