Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 6 of 20  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20 Next
Retired Yankee Numbers
8 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2014 - 11:21AM #51
Stewie
Posts: 2,450

Jun 24, 2014 -- 10:45AM, GottaGoToMo wrote:


Jun 24, 2014 -- 8:10AM, Stewie wrote:


Jun 24, 2014 -- 8:00AM, YankeeLoon wrote:

^^^^ said Stewie the little runt who never saw Munson play but can Google stats online with the best of them! ! Here's a hint ya little runt: it's not your fault you were born when you were but it is your fault that you think you're an authority on things you clearly know jack sht about. Now go get your fkin shine box.



Yes, by all means, let's retire the numbers of every player who averaged 10 HRs and 64 RBIs.


Try to think of him as if he'd lived and continued on the downward slide he'd already embarked upon.  He'd have finished his career a few years later, averaging even fewer HRs and RBIs per season with a lifetime BA somewhere in the .270s.  He wasn't killed in action fighting for his country; he was killed by his own hubris, trying to fly an airplane that was too much aircraft for his limited piloting skills.  It was a shame for his family but that's the way it was.


You do remember what happened to Billy Batts, don't you?





I didn't have a problem with you before I saw you write this ... now I think you're a piece of dog poop that should be scooped up and thrown out with the rest of the dog poop.





GottaGo,


What's your problem?  Go ahead, tell me where I lied.  You can't, because every word is true.  If the truth upsets you that's not my problem.  Get the facts before you mouth off.  He was practicing touch-and-go landings in an airplane even he admiited was too much aircraft for him to handle.  He was going to sell it for that very reason.  His 2 passengers just escaped burning in that wreck with just seconds to spare, no thanks to Munson.  Again, I'm sorry if that disturbs the mythology you've greated around the man, but that's the truth.

8 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2014 - 11:24AM #52
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 84,901

Jun 24, 2014 -- 11:21AM, Stewie wrote:


Jun 24, 2014 -- 10:45AM, GottaGoToMo wrote:


Jun 24, 2014 -- 8:10AM, Stewie wrote:


Jun 24, 2014 -- 8:00AM, YankeeLoon wrote:

^^^^ said Stewie the little runt who never saw Munson play but can Google stats online with the best of them! ! Here's a hint ya little runt: it's not your fault you were born when you were but it is your fault that you think you're an authority on things you clearly know jack sht about. Now go get your fkin shine box.



Yes, by all means, let's retire the numbers of every player who averaged 10 HRs and 64 RBIs.


Try to think of him as if he'd lived and continued on the downward slide he'd already embarked upon.  He'd have finished his career a few years later, averaging even fewer HRs and RBIs per season with a lifetime BA somewhere in the .270s.  He wasn't killed in action fighting for his country; he was killed by his own hubris, trying to fly an airplane that was too much aircraft for his limited piloting skills.  It was a shame for his family but that's the way it was.


You do remember what happened to Billy Batts, don't you?





I didn't have a problem with you before I saw you write this ... now I think you're a piece of dog poop that should be scooped up and thrown out with the rest of the dog poop.





GottaGo,


What's your problem?  Go ahead, tell me where I lied.  You can't, because every word is true.  If the truth upsets you that's not my problem.  Get the facts before you mouth off.  He was practicing touch-and-go landings in an airplane even he admiited was too much aircraft for him to handle.  He was going to sell it for that very reason.  His 2 passengers just escaped burning in that wreck with just seconds to spare, no thanks to Munson.  Again, I'm sorry if that disturbs the mythology you've greated around the man, but that's the truth.





I happen to know the entire truth of the situation ... I also know that every human being in this world makes mistakes ... that's no reason to cut into the man the way you did ... he paid with his life ... the Yankees chose to honor him because his spirit as a player was what the Yankees always loved about players ... you have a screw loose for questioning that.

8 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2014 - 11:26AM #53
61in61
Posts: 26,516

Jun 24, 2014 -- 11:13AM, Stewie wrote:


luv,


His numbers were good, not great.


He played the way we wish every Yankee would play, all out and with heart.


His loss is irrelevant to whether or not his number is retired.  If it were, every player who fell in front of a subway train would get his number retired.  His loss was worse; it was due to his reckless hubris, and he came within a hair of killing two others along with him.  That kind of behavior doesn't rate adulation in my book, or the book of any sane individual. 




Actually, Munson, it could be argued, was one of the top 10-15 catchers of all time.

8 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2014 - 11:27AM #54
BW26
Posts: 7,662

Jun 23, 2014 -- 8:24AM, Stewie wrote:


The only Yankee numbers that should be retired are 3,4,5,7,8 and 16.  Period.  Yankee legends.  If you say the name and don't get a chill down your spine the number should not be retired.

Not temporary hires like Martinez or Jackson.  Jackson played 5 years with New York out of a total of 21 seasons.  In those 5 seasons he hit 100 RBIs twice, hit over 32 HRs once, and hit.300 once.  Let's face it, he wasn't all that great with New York; he got his number retired for one thing only: Game 6 of the '77 Series.

Not mediocrities like Rizzuto.


.      





I tend to agree with you. It is nonsense that #1 , #9 , # 32 , #44 and #49 are  retired. it.  Rizzuto was an MVP, but he bascially got through his broadcast years and the veterans committee.So, I am on the fence about him. But, Martin and Maris. come one. I like Joe Torre , but his # 6  should not get  retired.


Tino got his plaque, and so will O'Neil. So, I hope they are not planning on retiring their numbers. Jorge, Bernie and Andy were strong keys to this team's success, but no way should their numbers retired. Rivera's #42  got retired  . as it should. Now, only Jeter's #2 should be retired.


They keep retiring numbers, soon you are going to see players with 3 digits on their backs.

[
8 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2014 - 11:29AM #55
Stewie
Posts: 2,450

GottaGo,


Once again, you're speaking before you think.  Read what I wrote.  Over and over, I saluted the man's fighting spirit and hustle; it was truly exceptional.  I just think that it takes more than hard-nosed hustle plus good-not-great numbers to get your number retired, that's all.

8 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2014 - 11:35AM #56
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 84,901

Jun 24, 2014 -- 11:29AM, Stewie wrote:


GottaGo,


Once again, you're speaking before you think.  Read what I wrote.  Over and over, I saluted the man's fighting spirit and hustle; it was truly exceptional.  I just think that it takes more than hard-nosed hustle plus good-not-great numbers to get your number retired, that's all.





He died way before his time ... before he had an opportunity to close out his Yankee career ... they chose to honor him ... you should let it go at that ... this is the one person you shouldn't be questioning.

8 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2014 - 11:49AM #57
Stewie
Posts: 2,450

Give him a plaque, give him two plaques.  Build a shrine to him out in center field.  But retired numbers are for Yankee legends, and he ain't one.  If he was so great he'd be in the Hall of Fame.  You need 75% for Hall induction and Munson peaked at 15%.  It's not the Hall of Very Good Players; if it were, he'd be in.

8 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2014 - 11:58AM #58
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 84,901

Jun 24, 2014 -- 11:49AM, Stewie wrote:


Give him a plaque, give him two plaques.  Build a shrine to him out in center field.  But retired numbers are for Yankee legends, and he ain't one.  If he was so great he'd be in the Hall of Fame.  You need 75% for Hall induction and Munson peaked at 15%.  It's not the Hall of Very Good Players; if it were, he'd be in.





I think your questioning them retiring Munson's number says more about you than it says about the issue of retired numbers. 

8 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2014 - 12:19PM #59
Stewie
Posts: 2,450

GottaGo,


I couldn't agree with you more.  It says I don't believe in handing out hollow honors, that I believe retired numbers should honor only the best of the best.  That I don't believe in allowing a player's tragic demise to magnify his greatness all out of proportion to what he really was: a good player who peaked at a high level for 3 years or so and then began his decline before he died far too young.

8 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2014 - 12:23PM #60
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 84,901

Jun 24, 2014 -- 12:19PM, Stewie wrote:


GottaGo,


I couldn't agree with you more.  It says I don't believe in handing out hollow honors, that I believe retired numbers should honor only the best of the best.





I think it's sad that you don't leave a bit of room for people like Thurman Munson.

Page 6 of 20  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20 Next
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum