Network Forums Yankees Will you be relieved once Machado signs elsewhere?
Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 3 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Will you be relieved once Machado signs elsewhere?
4 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2018 - 10:17PM #21
rlab22
Posts: 40
Anyone against acquiring machado is foolish. He’s a 26 year old .300 hitter that fills a huge need in the middle of the infield. Maybe he could actually get a hit with runners in scoring position... yanks would be grateful to have manny sign and I’m all for it
4 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2018 - 10:31PM #22
davis2
Posts: 19,213

Dec 22, 2018 -- 10:17PM, rlab22 wrote:

Anyone against acquiring machado is foolish. He’s a 26 year old .300 hitter that fills a huge need in the middle of the infield. Maybe he could actually get a hit with runners in scoring position... yanks would be grateful to have manny sign and I’m all for it


I think his baggage may be a bit overblown...  I think he meant he wasn't a "charlie hustle" (Pete Rose) type. Only he knows his intent on the spiking incidents, but he has had incidents in the past with Boston. That is the only problem I really have heard about regarding Machado. He would be a huge upgrade at 3rd. (Sorry,Papa) I'd be ok with signing him.

4 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2018 - 10:40PM #23
Yankees
Posts: 6,807

Dec 22, 2018 -- 10:31PM, davis2 wrote:


Dec 22, 2018 -- 10:17PM, rlab22 wrote:

Anyone against acquiring machado is foolish. He’s a 26 year old .300 hitter that fills a huge need in the middle of the infield. Maybe he could actually get a hit with runners in scoring position... yanks would be grateful to have manny sign and I’m all for it


I think his baggage may be a bit overblown...  I think he meant he wasn't a "charlie hustle" (Pete Rose) type. Only he knows his intent on the spiking incidents, but he has had incidents in the past with Boston. That is the only problem I really have heard about regarding Machado. He would be a huge upgrade at 3rd. (Sorry,Papa) I'd be ok with signing him.




Hey we actually agree on something.  The media overblew the whole Machado thing, outside of that series I've never heard of him being a dirty player.  And it's the play-offs, you expect players to try to do anything to win.  No one on here hated Arod after the slap play, not that I recall anyway.

Tonberry Pictures, Images and Photos
4 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2018 - 11:40PM #24
louisiana_lightning
Posts: 22,562

Dec 22, 2018 -- 10:40PM, Yankees wrote:


Dec 22, 2018 -- 10:31PM, davis2 wrote:


Dec 22, 2018 -- 10:17PM, rlab22 wrote:

Anyone against acquiring machado is foolish. He’s a 26 year old .300 hitter that fills a huge need in the middle of the infield. Maybe he could actually get a hit with runners in scoring position... yanks would be grateful to have manny sign and I’m all for it


I think his baggage may be a bit overblown...  I think he meant he wasn't a "charlie hustle" (Pete Rose) type. Only he knows his intent on the spiking incidents, but he has had incidents in the past with Boston. That is the only problem I really have heard about regarding Machado. He would be a huge upgrade at 3rd. (Sorry,Papa) I'd be ok with signing him.




Hey we actually agree on something.  The media overblew the whole Machado thing, outside of that series I've never heard of him being a dirty player.  And it's the play-offs, you expect players to try to do anything to win.  No one on here hated Arod after the slap play, not that I recall anyway.




Machado and Harper are both young exceptional players.  That said I am afraid that neither will be a bargain.  The money associated with them exceeds their pluses due to the hype around them.  I think if we were to aquire either of them their greatest contribution would likely be to pull most of the venom fans throw at Stanton freeing him to play up to full potential.  I said before the start of the 2018 season and still feel moreso than ever that neither could be a .300 hitter as a Yankee and either would be a lightning rod for controversy here.

4 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2018 - 6:57AM #25
bomberhojoe
Posts: 15,493
If you never heard of Machado being dirty before, you haven't been watching him. He threw a bar at an opposing player when with Baltimore. That may be as dirty a play as you can do! And there have been other dirty slides over the years.
John 3:16 * Ephesians 2:8-9 * Romans 10:9-10 * John 14:3-6 * Romans 5:8
4 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2018 - 7:01AM #26
hampfan
Posts: 3,763


[/quote]


amazed at the romancetization of GS. the guy didn't have a clue yet folks say he would have done this or that. you don't know that. his bungling and meddling brought the yankees to the lowest point it had ever been but it wasn't until he was banned and gene michael made the calls that we won. let's also talk about not wanting andy pettitte after 2003. if he signs andy, 2004 never happens. but go on romanticising about the "boss". geez ...  


[/quote]



bumper, I’m hardly romanticizing GS in some sort of nostalgic retrospect. Back in the 80s, I thought as you do now, namely that he was ruining the team. I even made up a tee-shirt (still have it) that says “Free the Yankees” on one side, “From King George” on the back. Still, at least three things can be said in his favor. He acted, or rather often re-acted, the way most fans at the time wanted him to do when it came to hiring free agents. Second, win or lose he made the club into a multi-billionaire outfit by spending for interesting players. He spent money to make it, and he did “make it.” Third, and this was my main point: given his proclivities and only in this one instance (re getting Machado and/or Harper)--and especially in the context of Boston’s recent athletic domination of New York teams including the Yankees--I would have preferred GS in control of our team rather than son Hal.

4 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2018 - 7:26AM #27
louisiana_lightning
Posts: 22,562

Dec 23, 2018 -- 7:01AM, hampfan wrote:





amazed at the romancetization of GS. the guy didn't have a clue yet folks say he would have done this or that. you don't know that. his bungling and meddling brought the yankees to the lowest point it had ever been but it wasn't until he was banned and gene michael made the calls that we won. let's also talk about not wanting andy pettitte after 2003. if he signs andy, 2004 never happens. but go on romanticising about the "boss". geez ...  





bumper, I’m hardly romanticizing GS in some sort of nostalgic retrospect. Back in the 80s, I thought as you do now, namely that he was ruining the team. I even made up a tee-shirt (still have it) that says “Free the Yankees” on one side, “From King George” on the back. Still, at least three things can be said in his favor. He acted, or rather often re-acted, the way most fans at the time wanted him to do when it came to hiring free agents. Second, win or lose he made the club into a multi-billionaire outfit by spending for interesting players. He spent money to make it, and he did “make it.” Third, and this was my main point: given his proclivities and only in this one instance (re getting Machado and/or Harper)--and especially in the context of Boston’s recent athletic domination of New York teams including the Yankees--I would have preferred GS in control of our team rather than son Hal.




I would prefer GS banned or suspended with Gabe Paul or Gene Michael running the show.

4 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2018 - 9:28AM #28
RobS44
Posts: 5,608

Dec 23, 2018 -- 7:01AM, hampfan wrote:





amazed at the romancetization of GS. the guy didn't have a clue yet folks say he would have done this or that. you don't know that. his bungling and meddling brought the yankees to the lowest point it had ever been but it wasn't until he was banned and gene michael made the calls that we won. let's also talk about not wanting andy pettitte after 2003. if he signs andy, 2004 never happens. but go on romanticising about the "boss". geez ...  





bumper, I’m hardly romanticizing GS in some sort of nostalgic retrospect. Back in the 80s, I thought as you do now, namely that he was ruining the team. I even made up a tee-shirt (still have it) that says “Free the Yankees” on one side, “From King George” on the back. Still, at least three things can be said in his favor. He acted, or rather often re-acted, the way most fans at the time wanted him to do when it came to hiring free agents. Second, win or lose he made the club into a multi-billionaire outfit by spending for interesting players. He spent money to make it, and he did “make it.” Third, and this was my main point: given his proclivities and only in this one instance (re getting Machado and/or Harper)--and especially in the context of Boston’s recent athletic domination of New York teams including the Yankees--I would have preferred GS in control of our team rather than son Hal.




At least as many of the moves George ordered backfired or hurt the team as helped it over the years.  If he hd been the owner of a small market, lower revenue team he might well have run it into the ground.  But for all the bad moves, you never doubted that winnng was priority number one, not the size of the profit margin.  Can't say that about Hal.

4 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2018 - 11:07AM #29
njyf
Posts: 1,051

Dec 23, 2018 -- 7:01AM, hampfan wrote:

bumper, I’m hardly romanticizing GS in some sort of nostalgic retrospect. Back in the 80s, I thought as you do now, namely that he was ruining the team. I even made up a tee-shirt (still have it) that says “Free the Yankees” on one side, “From King George” on the back. Still, at least three things can be said in his favor. He acted, or rather often re-acted, the way most fans at the time wanted him to do when it came to hiring free agents. Second, win or lose he made the club into a multi-billionaire outfit by spending for interesting players. He spent money to make it, and he did “make it.” Third, and this was my main point: given his proclivities and only in this one instance (re getting Machado and/or Harper)--and especially in the context of Boston’s recent athletic domination of New York teams including the Yankees--I would have preferred GS in control of our team rather than son Hal.



It helps that the club he made into a multi-billion dollar outfit was the Yankees, the preeminent team in all of sports and that the city it is located in was New York, the largest and richest in the country. George would not have had the same results no matter how much he spent if the club was the Rays or Pirates or the cities were Cleveland or Kansas City.

4 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2018 - 4:54PM #30
BigGuy
Posts: 66,015

We can be put off by some of the lack of hustle and other things that came out during the WS, but any baseball fan with a pair of eys knows the guy is one of the best players in the sport. I'm not crazy about laziness, or the cost of a longterm deal and what effect it may have on future player moves, but he would certainly make the team better.  The Yankees baseball people know this or they wouldn't waste their time with the guy.


Personally, I'd rather have Harper.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
Page 3 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Jump Menu:
 
Network Forums Yankees Will you be relieved once Machado signs elsewhere?
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum