Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 9 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Voit
3 months ago  ::  Aug 05, 2021 - 4:50PM #81
mscamaguey
Posts: 1,273

I love when Odor is in the lineup. He tries hard more than Stanton does.


I am thinking Voight will come back sometime, but he might be a Bench Warmer for a while that leaves out Seby when is he coming back? Then there is Kluber and we don´t know when he will return. Urshela in the 10 days IL he just returned from COVID and Sanchez even though was vaccinated he had COVID19 symptoms last night chances are he will have to do the 14 days Quarantine type.


is Andujar hurt? I cannot remember when the true Yankee starting lineup took the field together, never mind pitchers. The Replacement has done OK some of them better than some of the starters. I was impressed with Gill the 22-year-old starting pìtcher against the Marlins was outstanding and so did the other two young ones that followed him.


What truly amazes me is that with all the injuries, COVID19, and other wink, wink injuries this team is still in contention.


Sox lost already, I don´t know if the Rays are playing tonight so it behooves the Yanks to win.

3 months ago  ::  Aug 05, 2021 - 4:53PM #82
CHL59
Posts: 4,399

Cashman has made some dumpster dives that have worked out  for sure, and some that looked like he struck gold but we found out it was fools gold. The other side of that coin is why did Tauchman do so well until he got hurt and then went in the ooposite direction after rehabbing and spending time down in the minors. Did our terrific coaches down their "help" him when they should have just left him alone and what will the Giants do with him. Wiil they "fix" him. Urshela was indeed a great find and has turnewd into one of our best players so far. Voit is a walking MASH unit lately and yet when he has come back this season he is nowhere near the guy he was after he came back from a rehab in the minors and now he is there again being fixed" no doubt. SO I don't know what to make of what happens to these guys. Yes the pitchers get STATS on where not to and where to, pitch new guys that are crushing the ball but most can re adjust. Torres is anoither one who has his spurts of "forgetting" how to hit. When they are trying all these different things I just wonder what out coaches really are doing for them, or more likely to them.??

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
3 months ago  ::  Aug 05, 2021 - 4:56PM #83
1955nyyfan
Posts: 2,886
The Giants sent Tauchman down to the minors earlier this week. Maybe its not coaching and he's a mediocre player who had a decent couple of months in the bigs.
3 months ago  ::  Aug 05, 2021 - 5:01PM #84
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 84,627

Aug 5, 2021 -- 4:53PM, CHL59 wrote:


Cashman has made some dumpster dives that have worked out  for sure, and some that looked like he struck gold but we found out it was fools gold. The other side of that coin is why did Tauchman do so well until he got hurt and then went in the ooposite direction after rehabbing and spending time down in the minors. Did our terrific coaches down their "help" him when they should have just left him alone and what will the Giants do with him. Wiil they "fix" him. Urshela was indeed a great find and has turnewd into one of our best players so far. Voit is a walking MASH unit lately and yet when he has come back this season he is nowhere near the guy he was after he came back from a rehab in the minors and now he is there again being fixed" no doubt. SO I don't know what to make of what happens to these guys. Yes the pitchers get STATS on where not to and where to, pitch new guys that are crushing the ball but most can re adjust. Torres is anoither one who has his spurts of "forgetting" how to hit. When they are trying all these different things I just wonder what out coaches really are doing for them, or more likely to them.??




Voit did not go to the minors to get "fixed" the first time he was injured ... he came straight back to the Yankees.  That's why he couldn't hit in the beginning, because they didn't rehab him properly ... this time they are letting him get some work in ... hopefully it will help for when he comes back to the majors.

3 months ago  ::  Aug 05, 2021 - 6:14PM #85
newinn
Posts: 37,952

Aug 5, 2021 -- 4:56PM, 1955nyyfan wrote:

The Giants sent Tauchman down to the minors earlier this week. Maybe its not coaching and he's a mediocre player who had a decent couple of months in the bigs.




Remember what a huge mistake the Yankees made trading Tauchman after about 5 games with the Giants? The quick Judgement fans make on players they know nothing about, never heard of before the Yankees dumpster dives is crazy. That's so different from giving guys like Torres (who was loved by everyone in baseball) a long leash. They don't always work out but they need to get the time to find out one way or the other.

3 months ago  ::  Aug 05, 2021 - 9:14PM #86
jimwest
Posts: 4,740

Aug 5, 2021 -- 2:12PM, bumper wrote:


Aug 5, 2021 -- 1:34PM, jimwest wrote:


Aug 5, 2021 -- 1:26PM, Paterson wrote:


Aug 5, 2021 -- 1:18PM, jimwest wrote:


Aug 5, 2021 -- 7:44AM, yankoldfan wrote:


My question, why did they pick up that player off the Jays dump heap ?? We have a much better player in Allen ??? They sent Allen down to make room for him, that's a head scratcher to me ???




You basically answered your own question when you mentioned "dump heap". Cashman just loves dumpster diving, rooting through the trash of other teams, and dumping them on our roster. And somehow, there is never a 40 man roster "crunch" when he finds more garbage to add to it. .




   Dumpster diving is an essential skill for a modern GM. The days are over when the Yankees could have "an understanding" with Kansas City that allowed them to make some great trades. Nor will the rules allow the Yankees to stash more talent in Newark than Cleveland could put on the field. With roster rules, minor league free agency, salary caps and all the rest finding talent from guys with marginal records of succcess is a good thin,


    And let's face it, the most "garbage" guy who ever made a major league roster is the guy in high school we wished we could be ! 




Collecting a player that is total trash is not a "skill". Anyone can do that. By far, most of what Cashman pulls out of dumpsters is a complete waste of resources and roster space.


The Yankees are stubborn about promoting minor legaue players to the big club, crying about roster space, or the usual "not ready" lament. But picking up more and more junk from the discard pile of other teams is no problem.


A guy like Odor made sense, and has worked, but that is the exception. 




certainly some, maybe most don't work, but he's had a number of successes, even if they only worked for a short time.


gio urshela had been DFA'd by the indians, picked up the jays who later sent him to us for cash considerations. a guy w a career .225 BA and .589 OPS. brought in for IF depth. think that qualifies as a dumpster dive.


how bout luke voit. was traded for the mighty chasen shrieve and int'l bonus money. had wallowed in the cardinals minor league system.


cameron maybin & mike tauchman also from the trash bin. those guys all have had as much, if not more success than odor.




Of course he will have some successes, as he does it so much. Probablity is in his favor. But to continue to do it so often, the probablity of more garbage than gold also rises.


Davis the latest never-was player he picked up, one totally unneeded. The Jays are coming on and have a good chance at the playoffs. If he was any good, they would have kept him. Or if they thought he had any value, would have traded him at the just-ended trade deadline.


Other teams aren't stupid. If they DFA players they have good reasons, just as many claim the Yankees do when they release a player.

3 months ago  ::  Aug 05, 2021 - 10:50PM #87
bumper
Posts: 10,490

Aug 5, 2021 -- 9:14PM, jimwest wrote:


Aug 5, 2021 -- 2:12PM, bumper wrote:


Aug 5, 2021 -- 1:34PM, jimwest wrote:


Aug 5, 2021 -- 1:26PM, Paterson wrote:


Aug 5, 2021 -- 1:18PM, jimwest wrote:


Aug 5, 2021 -- 7:44AM, yankoldfan wrote:


My question, why did they pick up that player off the Jays dump heap ?? We have a much better player in Allen ??? They sent Allen down to make room for him, that's a head scratcher to me ???




You basically answered your own question when you mentioned "dump heap". Cashman just loves dumpster diving, rooting through the trash of other teams, and dumping them on our roster. And somehow, there is never a 40 man roster "crunch" when he finds more garbage to add to it. .




   Dumpster diving is an essential skill for a modern GM. The days are over when the Yankees could have "an understanding" with Kansas City that allowed them to make some great trades. Nor will the rules allow the Yankees to stash more talent in Newark than Cleveland could put on the field. With roster rules, minor league free agency, salary caps and all the rest finding talent from guys with marginal records of succcess is a good thin,


    And let's face it, the most "garbage" guy who ever made a major league roster is the guy in high school we wished we could be ! 




Collecting a player that is total trash is not a "skill". Anyone can do that. By far, most of what Cashman pulls out of dumpsters is a complete waste of resources and roster space.


The Yankees are stubborn about promoting minor legaue players to the big club, crying about roster space, or the usual "not ready" lament. But picking up more and more junk from the discard pile of other teams is no problem.


A guy like Odor made sense, and has worked, but that is the exception. 




certainly some, maybe most don't work, but he's had a number of successes, even if they only worked for a short time.


gio urshela had been DFA'd by the indians, picked up the jays who later sent him to us for cash considerations. a guy w a career .225 BA and .589 OPS. brought in for IF depth. think that qualifies as a dumpster dive.


how bout luke voit. was traded for the mighty chasen shrieve and int'l bonus money. had wallowed in the cardinals minor league system.


cameron maybin & mike tauchman also from the trash bin. those guys all have had as much, if not more success than odor.




Of course he will have some successes, as he does it so much. Probablity is in his favor. But to continue to do it so often, the probablity of more garbage than gold also rises.


Davis the latest never-was player he picked up, one totally unneeded. The Jays are coming on and have a good chance at the playoffs. If he was any good, they would have kept him. Or if they thought he had any value, would have traded him at the just-ended trade deadline.


Other teams aren't stupid. If they DFA players they have good reasons, just as many claim the Yankees do when they release a player.



the next man up 2019 yankees were put over the top by "dumpster dives". unfortunately the clock struck 12 the next season for most of those guys. i see more successes than failures. cortes is another. the groans on this forum when he was brought back pinned the needle. and as you mentioned odor has been better than expected. another player who got a lot of hate coming in. cashman has had more failures w pitchers.


all the injuries combined with the high payroll and resetting the LT forces cashman's hand to go after "inexpensive" options.


but agree, can't for the life of me figure out why they got davis when allen was a fine option.

Page 9 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum