Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Velazquez getting the love
4 months ago  ::  Aug 22, 2021 - 3:31PM #11
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 84,638

Aug 22, 2021 -- 2:17PM, Max wrote:


I like Velasquez, I really do. He's become a fan favorite and I'd like to see him stay with the Yankees as a utility player or possible CFer, but he doesn't have Torres' level of talent. He's also 2 years older than Torres.




Velazquez might be a little older than Torres, but they both become a free agent in 2025.

4 months ago  ::  Aug 22, 2021 - 4:51PM #12
vdfebduderocks
Posts: 697

if Tyler Wade hadn't shown himself to not be a total zero on offense, I think Velazquez would have a better chance staying on the roster. I just think Wade stays because of that, his defense, and his ability to steal bases.

4 months ago  ::  Aug 22, 2021 - 7:19PM #13
jimwest
Posts: 4,793

Aug 22, 2021 -- 3:21PM, CHL59 wrote:


Aug 22, 2021 -- 2:17PM, Max wrote:


I like Velasquez, I really do. He's become a fan favorite and I'd like to see him stay with the Yankees as a utility player or possible CFer, but he doesn't have Torres' level of talent. He's also 2 years older than Torres.




I don't disagree Max as an overall player, yes Torres is a better player. But, he is not fast, he is not as good on defense, and he sure runs the bases better than Torres. Torres is slow afoot, he is that way at short stop reducing his range. But his upside is his bat and his age. On that I agree. My point is hopefully if Velasquez makes the team in a bench roll he would be nice to have around. I would say he is being watched by not only the Yankees but other teams as well sdo if he plays like he has been lately the kid should get a job and I would like to see that. Many new faces are huge in helping this team win and he has played a small part in that so far, and hopefully he has gained confidence he can be a MLB player. The Yankees were in need of help as they were and trhey got it, thank God! He can help keep us rolling like we are!



CHL, Torres is a much more talented player. You don't seem to like him, can't say I know the reason, but he is 24 years old, and has a resume behind him. I've said this before, if the Yankees trade him, for either a Velazquez, or to pay a king's ransom for an expensive FA, they has less brains than I thought. They will live to regret it. And I'm not talking about trading him 5 years or more from now, but anytime soon.


I don't know where you are getting he is "slow afoot". He has 12 stolen bases, tied with Wade for the team lead. He has been getting more aggressive on the bases, he just needs to learn to stop the head-first slides. He is not a significant concern of the Yankees.

4 months ago  ::  Aug 22, 2021 - 7:27PM #14
SSBob
Posts: 9,125

Aug 22, 2021 -- 7:19PM, jimwest wrote:


I don't know where you are getting (Gleyber) is "slow afoot". He has 12 stolen bases, tied with Wade for the team lead. He has been getting more aggressive on the bases, he just needs to learn to stop the head-first slides. 




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Agree re his speed...it's obvious and common knowledge. Disagree re the head-first slides.

4 months ago  ::  Aug 22, 2021 - 8:58PM #15
CHL59
Posts: 4,399

Aug 22, 2021 -- 7:19PM, jimwest wrote:


Aug 22, 2021 -- 3:21PM, CHL59 wrote:


Aug 22, 2021 -- 2:17PM, Max wrote:


I like Velasquez, I really do. He's become a fan favorite and I'd like to see him stay with the Yankees as a utility player or possible CFer, but he doesn't have Torres' level of talent. He's also 2 years older than Torres.




I don't disagree Max as an overall player, yes Torres is a better player. But, he is not fast, he is not as good on defense, and he sure runs the bases better than Torres. Torres is slow afoot, he is that way at short stop reducing his range. But his upside is his bat and his age. On that I agree. My point is hopefully if Velasquez makes the team in a bench roll he would be nice to have around. I would say he is being watched by not only the Yankees but other teams as well sdo if he plays like he has been lately the kid should get a job and I would like to see that. Many new faces are huge in helping this team win and he has played a small part in that so far, and hopefully he has gained confidence he can be a MLB player. The Yankees were in need of help as they were and trhey got it, thank God! He can help keep us rolling like we are!



CHL, Torres is a much more talented player. You don't seem to like him, can't say I know the reason, but he is 24 years old, and has a resume behind him. I've said this before, if the Yankees trade him, for either a Velazquez, or to pay a king's ransom for an expensive FA, they has less brains than I thought. They will live to regret it. And I'm not talking about trading him 5 years or more from now, but anytime soon.


I don't know where you are getting he is "slow afoot". He has 12 stolen bases, tied with Wade for the team lead. He has been getting more aggressive on the bases, he just needs to learn to stop the head-first slides. He is not a significant concern of the Yankees.




 Jim, You say I don't like him but not personality wise, he is a good kid.. I don't like his future as a Yankee is my thoughts on him.. One reason is similar to why I didn't want Didi re-signed. It meant moving the entire infield around to accommodate him. Even though Didi was a great guy and Yankee, and he brought energy to the team etc., I would never be in favor of moving guys that were and are good players and producers to accommodate another player all over the place and have others out of positions they favored playing.


So what I see in Torres is he affects DJ, Rizzo, Voit, Urshela, DJ  one way or the other when he plays as far as where they can play because of DJ and Voit. Also, IMO he can't run. His base running skills IMO are sub par and he is slower than when he first got here stretching bases. His power is gone, he will never hit 30 plus homeruns again, and his instincts in game are not good either. His situational hitting leaves a lot to be desired from what I see, and the guy has no idea sometimes of what his job is when he is at bat.


He doesn't try and hit behind the runner, or go to the opposite field, he doesn't even know what that means I don't think in certain situations. For example, Two guys are walked, the pitcher is wild and he comes up all excited, tweo men are on, 2 outs, and swings from his heels on the first pitch. Out, and he does it a lot. All the things as a coach or manager that would drive me nuts. lol.  If the bases are loaded, 2 outrs same thing, swings first pitch all jacked up...no plate disipline at all. If bases are loaded chances are the pitcher is in trouble, let him pitch out of it he is in the jam, not you batter.


Torre has talent, yes, and he has a future to get better as he matures, however as a Yankee he is worth a ton in trade and other teams wanted him, and still do and to me he has more value there than as a weak defensive SS on the Yankees because we can get another SS and even have some in our system.  BTW...Also Wade and Velazquez are both better defensive short stops than he is, and have better range and have better foot work than he does IMO. Those are my arguments that I see. I may be wrong, of course but it is there in front of me every game he is in, one way or another unless I am missing something you see that I don't.

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
4 months ago  ::  Aug 22, 2021 - 11:21PM #16
JudgeandYankees
Posts: 487

Aug 22, 2021 -- 1:24PM, CHL59 wrote:


Aug 20, 2021 -- 10:13PM, JudgeandYankees wrote:


Aug 20, 2021 -- 6:19PM, mscamaguey wrote:


I just voted for Velazquez.  He brings a lot of energy and plays with heart and pride. I don't know what Boone is going to do when Torres comes back but I want to Keep Velazquez in the lineup.


I feel like I am in a dream and I don't want to wake up! This team made up 10 games on Boston and got themselves in second place ahead of them, five games out of First Place. I  did not think they had a chance to even play for the wild card. I don't know how many others on this board gave the Yanks a chance, but Mea Culpa and I am delighted watching them play so hard and well.


I hope they can take the division.




There's zero chance Velasquez remains in the lineup once Torres returns.  He's a nice story but he's not the reason we've made this unbelieveable come back.




You may be right about him remaining here I just wouldn't say Zero chance. How about this to chew on. He is BETTER than Torres on defense and with all the hitters we have now He should play for Torres on defense in close games in the later innings. How about that? And he just may be the reason if they do that with him he saves a run and a game. Also he is starting to hit with more ML AB's. I have my doubts about Gleyber because ever since looking at his decline from his first season here he is where he is now, both sides of the lines. I think he has more value in a trade than as a player and starter for the Yankees IMO. He does get hot at times and is good in the clutch but he never stays consistent. I would say his hitting 30 plus home runs again, ever, is a dream.




Torres is there SS of the future, I don't thin you give up on a kid just because he struggled for a season and a half.  The entire team was in a funk until we got Rizzo and Gallo so let's see how he does now since everyone else seems to have uplifted their game I don't see why that wouldn't motivate him as well.


4 months ago  ::  Aug 23, 2021 - 1:01AM #17
CHL59
Posts: 4,399

Aug 22, 2021 -- 11:21PM, JudgeandYankees wrote:


Aug 22, 2021 -- 1:24PM, CHL59 wrote:


Aug 20, 2021 -- 10:13PM, JudgeandYankees wrote:


Aug 20, 2021 -- 6:19PM, mscamaguey wrote:


I just voted for Velazquez.  He brings a lot of energy and plays with heart and pride. I don't know what Boone is going to do when Torres comes back but I want to Keep Velazquez in the lineup.


I feel like I am in a dream and I don't want to wake up! This team made up 10 games on Boston and got themselves in second place ahead of them, five games out of First Place. I  did not think they had a chance to even play for the wild card. I don't know how many others on this board gave the Yanks a chance, but Mea Culpa and I am delighted watching them play so hard and well.


I hope they can take the division.




There's zero chance Velasquez remains in the lineup once Torres returns.  He's a nice story but he's not the reason we've made this unbelieveable come back.




You may be right about him remaining here I just wouldn't say Zero chance. How about this to chew on. He is BETTER than Torres on defense and with all the hitters we have now He should play for Torres on defense in close games in the later innings. How about that? And he just may be the reason if they do that with him he saves a run and a game. Also he is starting to hit with more ML AB's. I have my doubts about Gleyber because ever since looking at his decline from his first season here he is where he is now, both sides of the lines. I think he has more value in a trade than as a player and starter for the Yankees IMO. He does get hot at times and is good in the clutch but he never stays consistent. I would say his hitting 30 plus home runs again, ever, is a dream.




Torres is there SS of the future, I don't thin you give up on a kid just because he struggled for a season and a half.  The entire team was in a funk until we got Rizzo and Gallo so let's see how he does now since everyone else seems to have uplifted their game I don't see why that wouldn't motivate him as well.





I go along with that. Let's see what he does. Keep in mind the Yankees are taking a chance there because if he is still the same swing at everything type hitter and stays weak on defense then what is he worth in trade is another way to look at it. I see it as declining in all area's but if he goes and get's his act together at bat I sure don't see his defense getting any better. Some like yourself think he is worth waiting on, and others like myself say get what you can while the getting is good. One thing for sure is it will play out one way or the other. 

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
4 months ago  ::  Aug 23, 2021 - 12:25PM #18
laurenfrances
Posts: 44,640
I haven't seen enough of Velazquez to make a determination. Obviously the guy is hungry to give his all in demonstrating his worth.

Lets see how it plays out before jumping on the bandwagon.
4 months ago  ::  Aug 23, 2021 - 9:49PM #19
davis2
Posts: 19,129

Aug 23, 2021 -- 1:01AM, CHL59 wrote:


Aug 22, 2021 -- 11:21PM, JudgeandYankees wrote:


Aug 22, 2021 -- 1:24PM, CHL59 wrote:


Aug 20, 2021 -- 10:13PM, JudgeandYankees wrote:


Aug 20, 2021 -- 6:19PM, mscamaguey wrote:


I just voted for Velazquez.  He brings a lot of energy and plays with heart and pride. I don't know what Boone is going to do when Torres comes back but I want to Keep Velazquez in the lineup.


I feel like I am in a dream and I don't want to wake up! This team made up 10 games on Boston and got themselves in second place ahead of them, five games out of First Place. I  did not think they had a chance to even play for the wild card. I don't know how many others on this board gave the Yanks a chance, but Mea Culpa and I am delighted watching them play so hard and well.


I hope they can take the division.




There's zero chance Velasquez remains in the lineup once Torres returns.  He's a nice story but he's not the reason we've made this unbelieveable come back.




You may be right about him remaining here I just wouldn't say Zero chance. How about this to chew on. He is BETTER than Torres on defense and with all the hitters we have now He should play for Torres on defense in close games in the later innings. How about that? And he just may be the reason if they do that with him he saves a run and a game. Also he is starting to hit with more ML AB's. I have my doubts about Gleyber because ever since looking at his decline from his first season here he is where he is now, both sides of the lines. I think he has more value in a trade than as a player and starter for the Yankees IMO. He does get hot at times and is good in the clutch but he never stays consistent. I would say his hitting 30 plus home runs again, ever, is a dream.




Torres is there SS of the future, I don't thin you give up on a kid just because he struggled for a season and a half.  The entire team was in a funk until we got Rizzo and Gallo so let's see how he does now since everyone else seems to have uplifted their game I don't see why that wouldn't motivate him as well.





I go along with that. Let's see what he does. Keep in mind the Yankees are taking a chance there because if he is still the same swing at everything type hitter and stays weak on defense then what is he worth in trade is another way to look at it. I see it as declining in all area's but if he goes and get's his act together at bat I sure don't see his defense getting any better. Some like yourself think he is worth waiting on, and others like myself say get what you can while the getting is good. One thing for sure is it will play out one way or the other. 



Jeter wasn't a great SS and we won a few rings with him, and he even bumped a far better SS to 3B. It isn't all about the defense, though it helps...

4 months ago  ::  Aug 23, 2021 - 10:44PM #20
Jon
Posts: 5,033
Makes 2022 spring training more interesting, eh?
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum