Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Gallo vs. Allen
3 months ago  ::  Sep 02, 2021 - 7:34AM #1
Raymond757
Posts: 10,341
I prefer the .300 switch hitter speedster Allen in left field over Gallo.
How about you guys?
3 months ago  ::  Sep 02, 2021 - 1:13PM #2
jimwest
Posts: 4,793

Sep 2, 2021 -- 7:34AM, Raymond757 wrote:

I prefer the .300 switch hitter speedster Allen in left field over Gallo. How about you guys?




Would prefer Allen in CF instead of Gardner.


Cashman traded for Gallo, a relatively big trade. He isn't about to see Gallo benched in favor of Allen.

3 months ago  ::  Sep 02, 2021 - 1:53PM #3
GottaGoToMo
Posts: 84,638

I'm thinking Allen will be in centerfield next year ... I really like him a lot.

3 months ago  ::  Sep 02, 2021 - 3:24PM #4
bumper
Posts: 10,551

Sep 2, 2021 -- 1:53PM, GottaGoToMo wrote:


I'm thinking Allen will be in centerfield next year ... I really like him a lot.




agree, most likely as the 4th OF'er replacing gardy.


believe allen's out of options so if they were to call him and have to send him down for any reason, they'd have to DFA him and risk losing him. since he "may" be in their future plans, they're not calling him up, so florial who has options gets the call. a bit convolted. allen appears to be in a baseball limbo.


as for gardy, while i hope they don't bring him back next season, since aug 1 he's stepped up, hitting .275 w nearly a .400 OBP and .800 OPS. they like his defense and his leadership so he plays. they're not gonna go with an unknown quantity coming down the stretch. if greg allen was a wander franco level player, it'd be a different story.

3 months ago  ::  Sep 02, 2021 - 4:27PM #5
NW
Posts: 3,513

Sep 2, 2021 -- 7:34AM, Raymond757 wrote:

I prefer the .300 switch hitter speedster Allen in left field over Gallo. How about you guys?



Allen is a career .241 hitter with a .655 OPS.  

3 months ago  ::  Sep 02, 2021 - 5:57PM #6
Paterson
Posts: 7,347


    Everything I read still has Florial in the future plan for the Yankees. He is still considered an elite defender even if his bat is suspect. 

3 months ago  ::  Sep 02, 2021 - 9:42PM #7
jimwest
Posts: 4,793

Sep 2, 2021 -- 5:57PM, Paterson wrote:



    Everything I read still has Florial in the future plan for the Yankees. He is still considered an elite defender even if his bat is suspect. 




He turns 24 in November, and is batting .212 with a .307 OBP at SWB. He is not elite based on fielding percentage, nor has his arm impressed. His FP is inferior to Judge, Gallo, Stanton, even Greg Allen.


Jasson Dominguez should be their probable CF of the future by 2024 or so. Florial should have been traded already. His value, like Frazier's and Andujar's, is declining by the day. 

3 months ago  ::  Sep 02, 2021 - 10:10PM #8
Paterson
Posts: 7,347

Sep 2, 2021 -- 9:42PM, jimwest wrote:


Sep 2, 2021 -- 5:57PM, Paterson wrote:



    Everything I read still has Florial in the future plan for the Yankees. He is still considered an elite defender even if his bat is suspect. 




He turns 24 in November, and is batting .212 with a .307 OBP at SWB. He is not elite based on fielding percentage, nor has his arm impressed. His FP is inferior to Judge, Gallo, Stanton, even Greg Allen.


Jasson Dominguez should be their probable CF of the future by 2024 or so. Florial should have been traded already. His value, like Frazier's and Andujar's, is declining by the day. 




1)  My comment is only based on what I've read. As recently as this week there is a story from a major source has Florial in the plans for 2022. See:


www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-yankees...


 2)   I know the Yankees paid a lot of $$$ for Dominguez and he is reported to have great tools, but today he is a 248 hitter over 41 games at A ball. Maybe he is the next Mike Trout...but I am old enough to remember Willy Mo Pena so I am not assuming anything. But even if Dominguez is great in 2024, the question is about next year. 


3)   Twenty four is not old for a rookie. Gardner broke in at 24 and did not enjoy a full season until age 25. The same can be said for Aaron Judge.  Even the great Bernie Williams did not play a full season until age 24. Maybe Florial got too much hype too soon, but his age is not against him. 


4)    You might have to agree that the September call up of Florial, given all the other options open to the Yankees, says something about the organization feels about him. 

3 months ago  ::  Sep 03, 2021 - 12:48AM #9
jimwest
Posts: 4,793

Sep 2, 2021 -- 10:10PM, Paterson wrote:


Sep 2, 2021 -- 9:42PM, jimwest wrote:


Sep 2, 2021 -- 5:57PM, Paterson wrote:



    Everything I read still has Florial in the future plan for the Yankees. He is still considered an elite defender even if his bat is suspect. 




He turns 24 in November, and is batting .212 with a .307 OBP at SWB. He is not elite based on fielding percentage, nor has his arm impressed. His FP is inferior to Judge, Gallo, Stanton, even Greg Allen.


Jasson Dominguez should be their probable CF of the future by 2024 or so. Florial should have been traded already. His value, like Frazier's and Andujar's, is declining by the day. 




1)  My comment is only based on what I've read. As recently as this week there is a story from a major source has Florial in the plans for 2022. See:


www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-yankees...


I figured as much, Pat. I've seen articles like that, and they are a dime a dozen, as are the endless trades and free agents signings articles that are postulated. Some are absolutely outlandish.


 2)   I know the Yankees paid a lot of $$$ for Dominguez and he is reported to have great tools, but today he is a 248 hitter over 41 games at A ball. Maybe he is the next Mike Trout...but I am old enough to remember Willy Mo Pena so I am not assuming anything. But even if Dominguez is great in 2024, the question is about next year.


Dominguez is 18 years old, and was placed already at Low A. No one should have expected him to tear that league apart in such a short time. He has had a mere 176 PA's. A team spending as much intl money as they did on him, must believe he is a future star. All the reviews and ratings of him I've seen support that belief. As far as next year, if they were going to give Florial a real chance to win a CF job, this was the year. Before Gallo came, Frazier, Hicks, and Andujar all were injured. So they played Gardner a ton. 


3)   Twenty four is not old for a rookie. Gardner broke in at 24 and did not enjoy a full season until age 25. The same can be said for Aaron Judge.  Even the great Bernie Williams did not play a full season until age 24. Maybe Florial got too much hype too soon, but his age is not against him. 


It isn't all that young, either. Especially for a player who really has shown very little in 6 minor league years. He was promoted, but not due to his performance, which was subpar at High A. Florial has had 2,031 minor league PA's to show some evidence of his "potential".


Judge and Gardner came up at 24, but Bernie had about 670 PA's with the Yanks in '91/'92, his age 22/23 years. So he had plenty of major league time and AB's by 24. 


4)    You might have to agree that the September call up of Florial, given all the other options open to the Yankees, says something about the organization feels about him. 


They keep shuttling him back and forth, as have this year and last. He has a grand total of 28 MLB PA's. If they thought so highly of him, they would keep him up, but they don't. It would be nice to see him actually show something substantial up here. He is a grossly overrated, overhyped player imo.





3 months ago  ::  Sep 03, 2021 - 9:32AM #10
NW
Posts: 3,513

Sep 2, 2021 -- 10:10PM, Paterson wrote:


4)    You might have to agree that the September call up of Florial, given all the other options open to the Yankees, says something about the organization feels about him. 





The fact that the Yankees called up Florial over Allen might say more about what the organization thinks of Allen and his possible use in October.  If the Yankees brought up Allen and then needed to make another move (say they needed another arm because the pen is taxed or a major injury occurs), they can move Florial down and not lose him.  If they brought Allen up, he would have to pass through waivers to go down and the Yanks may lose him.  Keeping him at AAA makes him available as that "last man" on the roster in October who you could bring up to steal a big base or play defense in a playoff game/series.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum