Jump Menu:
Post Reply
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Yanks on getting a true SS
2 months ago  ::  Oct 15, 2021 - 1:24PM #1
Jon
Posts: 5,033

yanksgoyard.com/2021/10/13/yankees-rumor...


The New York Yankees, for about the fifth offseason in a row, have a bizarre “good” problem. Right now, they don’t have a true shortstop. However, they have the money to spend big on one of the stars in this year’s free agent class. That’s great, isn’t it?


But wait. Do they want to create a logjam with two of their most promising top prospects in Anthony Volpe and Oswald Peraza? Is the front office really going to pass on enticing options such as Corey Seager, Carlos Correa and Trevor Story because they’re keen on young players who have yet to log a full season at Double- or Triple-A?

2 months ago  ::  Oct 15, 2021 - 2:01PM #2
Hobbs
Posts: 145

Oct 15, 2021 -- 1:24PM, Jon wrote:


yanksgoyard.com/2021/10/13/yankees-rumor...


The New York Yankees, for about the fifth offseason in a row, have a bizarre “good” problem. Right now, they don’t have a true shortstop. However, they have the money to spend big on one of the stars in this year’s free agent class. That’s great, isn’t it?


But wait. Do they want to create a logjam with two of their most promising top prospects in Anthony Volpe and Oswald Peraza? Is the front office really going to pass on enticing options such as Corey Seager, Carlos Correa and Trevor Story because they’re keen on young players who have yet to log a full season at Double- or Triple-A?




The fact that they have promising prospects should not stop them from getting a "true" shortstop. Defense is a major issue with this team and should be addressed. If the 'prospects pan out that's great, There are other positions on the infield that they could play. Don't hold back on making improvements because your waiting on a prospect. We all remember our future rotation of Hughes, Kennedy, and Joba or the killer bees of Betances, Brackman and Banuelos. If we can fix something now do it. If tommorrow we have too many good players then that's great.


 The issue I see is the payroll problem. We are currently at 220 mil. with holes to fill at short 1st base and for me catcher and center field. That's alot with very little money to do ot with. Cashman is going to have to prove he's as smart as he thinks he is.

2 months ago  ::  Oct 15, 2021 - 2:25PM #3
Giancarlo
Posts: 259

Oct 15, 2021 -- 1:24PM, Jon wrote:


yanksgoyard.com/2021/10/13/yankees-rumor...


The New York Yankees, for about the fifth offseason in a row, have a bizarre “good” problem. Right now, they don’t have a true shortstop. However, they have the money to spend big on one of the stars in this year’s free agent class. That’s great, isn’t it?


But wait. Do they want to create a logjam with two of their most promising top prospects in Anthony Volpe and Oswald Peraza? Is the front office really going to pass on enticing options such as Corey Seager, Carlos Correa and Trevor Story because they’re keen on young players who have yet to log a full season at Double- or Triple-A?




In Peraza's case, he went through AA so fast he didn't need to log a full season there, and he's at least picked up some AAA experience.   He's already a ML caliber fielding SS.   After earning two promotions in one year and reaching AAA in 2021, I really feel like he'll earn a callup to the majors in 2022.    Volpe is about a year behind him, assuming he continues to tear through the minors.


Wander Franco got all of 40 games in AAA and then the Rays brought him up for good.   If the Yanks feel like Peraza could be ready to succeed in the majors say before the AS break in 2022, then why would they want to block SS long term?  Especially when you also have Volpe right behind Peraza.


And I doubt Semien is a "short term" option as the article suggests, lumping him in with Andrelton Simmons.   Maybe Semien was in that boat after his 2020 season, but he's about to get paid some serious dollars and probably get at least 3-4 years as well.    He just hit 45 home runs and posted a 6.6 WAR, he's going to make bank.   Simmons could be a one year deal candidate, and even if he can't hit he's the best fielding SS since Ozzie Smith.


I still feel like a good match is Jonathon Villar.   He's played SS more than any other position in his career, he can play anywhere except for catcher - so he can be an OF option as well (I'd much rather see him cover for Hicks for example if he gets hurt than Gardner).   He's decent offensively, switch hits, and has some really good speed.   I don't think it would take a fortune to sign him, and if he does get displaced from SS by Peraza, he will still have a lot of value as a super sub.   He's who I want to see them go after.   With all the other great SSs available as free agents, Villar's market may be limited too and they may be able to get him for a bargain price.

2 months ago  ::  Oct 15, 2021 - 2:43PM #4
1955nyyfan
Posts: 2,927

Oct 15, 2021 -- 2:01PM, Hobbs wrote:


Oct 15, 2021 -- 1:24PM, Jon wrote:


yanksgoyard.com/2021/10/13/yankees-rumor...


The New York Yankees, for about the fifth offseason in a row, have a bizarre “good” problem. Right now, they don’t have a true shortstop. However, they have the money to spend big on one of the stars in this year’s free agent class. That’s great, isn’t it?


But wait. Do they want to create a logjam with two of their most promising top prospects in Anthony Volpe and Oswald Peraza? Is the front office really going to pass on enticing options such as Corey Seager, Carlos Correa and Trevor Story because they’re keen on young players who have yet to log a full season at Double- or Triple-A?




The fact that they have promising prospects should not stop them from getting a "true" shortstop. Defense is a major issue with this team and should be addressed. If the 'prospects pan out that's great, There are other positions on the infield that they could play. Don't hold back on making improvements because your waiting on a prospect. We all remenber our future rotation of Hughes, Kennedy, and Joba or the killer bees of Betances, Brackman and Banuelos. If we can fix something now do it. If tommorrow we have too many good players then that's great.




Hobbs, I get your point, respect your opinion  but don't necessarily agree. We can improve the defense by playing Wade or Velazquez at SS. Not sure how much offense we would get but we would get a quality defensive player. All the reports I'm reading are saying both kids are projected to be above average MLB SSs with high ceilings. Both are also projected to be a year or slightly longer away. All of the FA SS that are being linked to us are going to cost alot both in salary and term. I'm just frankly tired of so many long term deals that become an abotross over time and then we have to deal with the player or play them out of position. 


Peralta and Volpe are both players that are highly rated not only in our system but by most evaluators. Volpe is currently the 15th ranked player in the minors and Peralta is on the top 100 list. I get it, all prospects don't pan out, but if you have to take a chance, why not at a position where you have two young prospects who both look like they have a future. If one of these kids pans out, the upside is so great. We could end up with an above average SS at low cost for the next 5 or 6 years. 


I just think the philosophy for building a roster has to include adding young talent. If the Yankee plan is going to be to bypass their best young talent because a more proven but much more expensive option is available in free agency, I don't think we will be able to build the kind of balanced roster we will need to compete. 


I guess the other point I'd make is that even though most FAs have a track record, it doesn't mean they will continue to perform at the level you are paying to get their services. Lindor, who I wanted, might be a good example. FAs can be risky as well, maybe the floor is higher but an under achieving FA can be very expensive. 


I'm not against FAs. We need to supplement our roster with them not try to fill every hole with this years best FA option.  

2 months ago  ::  Oct 15, 2021 - 5:33PM #5
yankoldfan
Posts: 11,523

For some reason, I think Ca$hman/Hal will spend on a SS and try to get by with other needs from within house players... We do have some players that have value, it's just if they could trade them for a player that  helps ??

2 months ago  ::  Oct 15, 2021 - 8:40PM #6
JudgeandYankees
Posts: 487

You train the prospects at other positions, no player should only know how to only play one position if they want to make the big leagues.

2 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2021 - 9:27AM #7
xnewyorker
Posts: 876

Yanks need a 2 year bridge to Volpe/Peraza.


Sign Simmons to a 2/20 deal and let him hit 9th everyday.

2 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2021 - 9:56AM #8
NW
Posts: 3,501

Of the last 10 world champions, only one acquired a shortstop in free agency (Stephen Drew for the Sox, hardly an impact player).  He was also the only world champion shorstop at or over his age 30 year.  Shortstop is not a position where most can be effective in the 2nd half of a career.  If they want to go out and get Simmons for a one year deal, that's fine, but honestly why pay for a little bit of a defensive upgrade who might keep Peraza out of the bigs when he's ready.  I'm perfectly fine going into spring training with Wade and Velazquez and let Peraza fight for a spot.  Remember what happened in 1996 when Tony Fernandez got hurt and a young kid earned the SS spot out of Spring Training?

2 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2021 - 10:14AM #9
xnewyorker
Posts: 876

Peraza had 8 total games at SWB and is not ready yet.  Simmons is a great defensive SS that can save a ton of runs.

2 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2021 - 10:30AM #10
1955nyyfan
Posts: 2,927

Oct 16, 2021 -- 9:27AM, xnewyorker wrote:


Yanks need a 2 year bridge to Volpe/Peraza.


Sign Simmons to a 2/20 deal and let him hit 9th everyday.




Some baseball analysts are saying Peralta is a year away, may even gets a call up sometime next year. While I like your idea of signing Simmons to a short term deal better than going after one of the big names, I'd still rather use Wade as a bridge. Simmons is a great defenisive SS coming off a bad offensive year. Wade is also a very good defensive SS and he had a pretty good offensive year. His speed is also somthing that will play nicely in our lineup. Wade will cost about $1mm so I don't see Simmons being worth 10 times what Wade will be getting. 

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Jump Menu:
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Yankees Forum